JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Check conversions
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Check conversions
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:02 pm  
    Check conversions

I'm watching some 4E videos and I'm wondering how to convert some of the ability checks from that version to 2E. For instance - Perception could be Int, Insight could be Wis, Intimidate could be Str, Diplomacy could be Cha, etc. I'm using the non-weapon proficiency system in 2E, I just want some natural checks for expanding interaction and helping to rule role playing encounters. Anyone out there who has played both?

Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:04 pm  

Nerdcav,

On page 19 of the complete thief's handbook you will find the Intimidation proficiency. Special ability modifier as strength or charisma can be used. It explains it in more detail and you will see where a lot of 3rd edition skills found their roots. Players skills and options for 2E will help you with perception checks as I believe wisdom was broken down into will and perception not sure each ability score had two corresponding sub abilities which could be tweaked by no more than a four point differential from it other corresponding sub-ability.

I am sure Lanthorn has what you seek in his 2E files.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:17 am  

"POOF" You summoned me, Argon? Evil Grin

Nerdcav, my Master Barbarian is correct that in 2e, if you use the Options system (which I do), various character abilities are subdivided into two different subgroups. The resource to get, if you don't already, is the Players Options: Skills & Powers book. It is not merely a rehash of the Player's Handbook although there is overlapping information. However, this additional tome further goes into customizing characters with the use of points to offer FAR greater variety. Personally, I love it. You also give characters flaws (for more, added points) and can buy advantages (costs you in points). Also, there is a LONG and rather decent list of proficiencies, with explanations and listed ability check scores, all of which I find very helpful. You will also note lists on armor, equipment, and weapons, and a whole host of other information. It is a wonderful addition to any 2e gaming stack.

Does that help? If not, ask away...I must now return to my bottle until Argon summons me anew. Wink

-Lanthorn, Great Power, TINY living space Laughing
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:32 pm  

Nerdcav,

Much like I said 3e was born from 2e players skills and powers. If you find one or look at it and 3e you will say I see now what happened.

Later

Argon
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:11 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    The resource to get, if you don't already, is the Players Options: Skills & Powers book.

Just what I needed - the subability checks fit the bill perfectly. Thank you sir!

Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:20 pm  

You are very welcome, Good Sir! Glad to be of service.

-Lanthorn
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: