JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Hextor's Cestuses
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder
    Hextor's Cestuses
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:44 pm  
    Hextor's Cestuses

In the early 1990's (when I was playing 1st ed AD&D), I came up with an idea for an order of monks that served Hextor - Hextor's Cestuses.

This seemed like the logical thing to do since Hextor is both Lawful Evil in alignment and has "fitness" as an "attribute" [p. 69 of the Guide to WoG].

However, many of the weapon choices available to monks in 3rd ed seem mismatched to the deity - excluding the siagham, of course!

I was thinking more along the lines of the exotic weapons such as the spiked chain, dire flail and double bladed sword. Basically, things with a certain flair yet of a more militaristic bent.

So as to not unbalance the class, I would take away some, if not most, of the current weapon choices and replace them with an equal number of differing ones rather than add onto the list.

Any suggestions?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:42 pm  

I'd say mailed gauntlet, but if they're monks it's only a stylistic choice, since they can do lethal damage with their bare hands.

From a 'that's freakin' awesome!' perspective the spiked chain would indeed be the way to go. And the siagham is just brilliant!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:48 pm  

KierWyldwynd wrote:
    I'd say mailed gauntlet, but if they're monks it's only a stylistic choice, since they can do lethal damage with their bare hands.

From a 'that's freakin' awesome!' perspective the spiked chain would indeed be the way to go. And the siagham is just brilliant!

Many thanks!

Yeah, the spiked chain just conjures so many good images.

Give him Combat Reflexes and he'll look/be scary as Hell.

Though, Truthfully, I just like the image of it in my head more than anything.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:01 pm  

What about the Scourge from Complete Warrior? D8 damage 18-20 critical, and right up Hextor's alley I should think. Considering that Tyranny is part of his gig.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:07 pm  

And to make it even better you can add the 'merciful' weapon quality to it! So it hurts even more! But it won't kill you! No matter how much you want it to!

I may need some sort of therapy now that I think about it.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:09 pm  

KierWyldwynd wrote:
    And to make it even better you can add the 'merciful' weapon quality to it! So it hurts even more! But it won't kill you! No matter how much you want it to!

I may need some sort of therapy now that I think about it.

Whoa, that is bad-a§§!

Very cool!
    GreySage

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:57 pm  

As far as Monks using cestuses, I allow them to add 1d4 points of damage to every unarmed strike and it causes both bludgeoning and piercing damage.

If that is too powerful for you to stomach, you can change it to an extra 1d4 points of piercing damage so that each type is inflicted separately. You could also reduce the bonus damage, if you felt it necessary.

Another cool Monk weapon you might consider is the (spiked) bola. Evil Grin

SirXaris
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:02 pm  

Drassus,

Here's an article I wrote with monastic fighting styles of the Flanaess. Their is a monk fighting styles that was created by the church of Hextor.

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=996

I hope you enjoy it.

Later

Argon
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: