JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Krovis
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Krovis
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:46 am  
    Krovis

Mention of Krovis in DrassustheGaunt's recent thread on the Earth Dragon got me thinking about this quasi-deity again. We had a good discussion about him in this thread a few years ago -- gah! Yes, years. I'm feeling old. But we never got around to focusing on what specifically he might have done. Joe Bloch gives us some clues in "See the Pomarj -- and Die" in DRG #167, in saying that Krovis is more of a strategist, though his appearance is that of a warrior. He rarely takes part in combat himself, unless it's needed to attain his goal. Instead he goes about gathering up an army, surrounding himself with high-level lieutenants.

So I'm wondering specifically about the time he helped put down the empire of Lum the Mad. This is all from memory, so correct me if I'm wrong, but Luek-O was instrumental in bringing Lum down, and he was also one of Lum's followers, who turned on him. So, might Krovis have been the one who turned Luek-O against Lum? Could Krovis also have helped Luek-O find the Belching Vortex (LGJ #1 "Place of Mystery"), giving him the keys to the Mighty Servant, so to speak?

Thinking about Krovis also puts me in mind of Aragorn, in his role as Thorongil, where he showed up to help Rohan and Gondor against Sauron about 40 or so years before the events of the Lord of the Rings, and then disappeared after the battles were done. In this vein, Krovis might not even be Krovis' real name, but it's what the Oeridians at the time called him. Few now remember the story about this mysterious Flan general who came and helped overthrow the tyrannical Lum the Mad, and fewer still know what really happened to him, and where he went.

Thoughts?
    GreySage

Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:59 am  

My money's on Rasgon for batting this one outta the ball park. (Lanthorn moves stack of colored chips forward across the felt-covered gaming table, lowers his sunglasses)

Sadly, my own knowledge on this topic is extremely scant. The only information I have regarding Krovis comes from The Slavers module sourceguide. Not sure if that is much help, though. Confused

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:29 pm  

Yeah, I'm with you. Something like this has Rasgon written all over it. He's done some great work research and speculation-wise in previous threads regarding Lum and Leuk-O.

I'm thinking of writing one of my patented "heretical recollections of priest/sage X about the blah, blah, blah..." articles on this one. Need to start pulling together what is known about Lum and Leuk-O, which is not a whole lot. Hopefully, I can finish this one. Embarassed Or else is can join the folder of unfinished CF! articles I have.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:12 pm  

I have a take on Krovis that might be fun to share, based on an NPC background I wrote up. One of my AD&D pals collected up a whole whack of the TSR trading cards from the early 1990's. In it there are a bunch of NPC's with bare bones info, a magic item or two and the basic stats for AD&D game play. I've been detailing these NPC's backgrounds off and on over the years and one of them, a fighter named as "Tasup", seemed like an interesting fit in connection with Krovis:

A powerful and experienced fighter, Tassup is much more then he appears to be. The warrior looks to be in his mid thirties, hale and strong, yet mentally vacant and quite unpredictable in his actions and movements. He never willingly leaves the Pomarj Peninsula for long and always returns to it as soon as possible, usually via his helm of teleportation.

A former sub-commander of the human forces defending the Pomarj during the fall of the realm to the humanoid hordes in 513 C.Y., Tasup's army met defeat early in the invasion. As the tide of battle turned against him, Tasup’s mind shattered and he deserted his post rather than face death, as hundreds of his troops were butchered while awaiting an order to surrender and retreat.

Although seemingly a mad coward, the warrior’s true nature is responsible for his breaking from battle so many years ago - Tasup is actually one of the chosen of Krovis, although he is not aware of this on any conscious level. It was the quasi-deity’s influence that drew him away from the battle some sixty years ago, along with several other powerful individuals from nearby realms who are in similar states of mental disarray. Tasup and his fellows wander their respective lands, aging at a greatly reduced rate, disappearing and reappearing to wait for the time when the servant of Trithereon will require their services.

With the Great Kingdom tottering to the east, the Scarlet Brotherhood scheming to the south and the armies of the Old One gathering in the north, the quasi-deity slumbers uneasily indeed. Should any one of these forces gain ascendancy, it is likely the quasi-deity will awaken and act. When he does, Tasup’s mind will clear and he will take a place as one of Krovis’ commanders.

The warrior does not realize it, but his wanderings regularly take him close to several of the shrine-caches sacred to Krovis. Tasup has actually cleared humanoids from at least two of the locations several times over the past six decades, although his memory of such events is vague at best. Should Krovis awaken, it is likely that Tasup will be the first to vouchsafe each of the Pomarj caches dedicated to the quasi-deity in preparation for the mustering of Krovis’ forces.

Hope that adds something to the conversation. It was fun to write.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:56 am  

That's a nice write-up. Thanks, Braggi!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:39 pm  

Glad you liked it. Feel free to use it as is and/or rewrite it in whatever way you like. More flavor for the Greyhawk stew, so to speak.

Smile
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: