JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - There should be an RPG channel on cable
    Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley
    There should be an RPG channel on cable
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon May 14, 2012 2:47 pm  
    There should be an RPG channel on cable

Given the multitude of channels out there, it just makes sense to have an RPG channel. I'm sure the advertisers would love something like that given the demographic.

I've actually considered pitching this to a few VCs here in the Bay Area but my background isn't in traditional media.

Thoughts? What would this channel be called? What would it feature? Should it be 24 hours a day or run in 8-hour repeating blocks (3 repeats per day)?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue May 15, 2012 7:57 pm  

I'd watch it Laughing

Wed May 16, 2012 1:09 am  

Sounds like a great idea. Start with 8 hour repeating blocks and increase the programming as revenue allows.

SirXaris
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri May 18, 2012 5:42 am  

Just don't let the Syfy folks get ahold of it. I could see it now.

7:00 - BASH! (Old Timers defend their game against the Whippersnappers)
    8:00 - Vegepygmy Night Terror
    9:00 - Edition Wars! 4e vs. 3e, Open Cage Match
    10:00 - Chic Geek Freaks: Those whacky LGS retailers (Reality TV)
    11:00 - Sharktopus vs. The Flumph
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed May 23, 2012 3:10 pm  

Hah! that's classic, I can totally see them doing that. G4 would be another potential candidate.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed May 23, 2012 10:25 pm  

Gotta feature reruns of Sam Raimi's "Hercules" and "Xena" old series. Commission a new "Highlander" series that doesn't suck! Hah!
    GreySage

Thu May 24, 2012 3:22 pm  

And, maybe, a Saturday morning D&D cartoon that doesn't blatantly violate every rule in the rulebooks. Confused

SirXaris
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri May 25, 2012 10:01 pm  

SirXaris,

A saturday morning D&D cartoon would be fine. Though I don't think it needs to adhere strictly to the rules. As long as it inspires anyone who watches it to get involved in the game then it works for me.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Mon May 28, 2012 8:27 am  

I have enough vices already. Embarassed An RPG Channel would likely get me kicked out of the house by my wife. There is a reason why I don't have an X-Box or play WoW. Confused

In all truth, an RPG Channel sounds intriguing. In addition to featuring programs and movies, it would be a great way for gaming products (not just DnD) to be showcased and advertised.

Quite a novel idea there and I am sure you'd get a decent 'fan base.' Besides that, I'd love to see the old reruns of the DnD cartoon (though I have them on DVD already). Cool

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Mon May 28, 2012 9:25 am  

Argon wrote:
    A saturday morning D&D cartoon would be fine. Though I don't think it needs to adhere strictly to the rules. As long as it inspires anyone who watches it to get involved in the game then it works for me.

Argon,

I don't expect it to adhere strictly to the rules. Besides, which edition would that be, anyway? I just don't appreciate the blatant rules violations like cowardly, weaponless, Cavaliers (Cavaliers were immune to Fear back in AD&D), Magic Users pulling random spells out of their hats, 30 foot tall shambling mounds, and 100 foot tall Iron Golems!

It was if the writers didn't think D&D was exciting enough unless they pitted 1st-3rd level characters against 15th-20th level monsters. It was just too over-the-top for me as a teenager trying to appreciate the game for what it was.

I'd appreciate a more realistic approach to the battles. You know, against foes that could realistically be overcome by the skills the characters possessed.

SirXaris
    GreySage

Tue May 29, 2012 9:46 am  

Have any of you seen a low-budget, but (to me) fantastically hilarious parody called "The Gamers?" I believe it was made by a bunch of college age folk. It makes fun of character creation, gaming mechanics, and plot devices. VERY amusing.

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed May 30, 2012 11:15 pm  

Lanthorn,

I have seen the movie. Its a rental but there are some funny parts that only a gamer would get. However, the quilt of dead characters was pretty funny.

Later

Argon
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:13 am  

To take this a little seriously..... I think this could work.

For openers, there's already a MILLION videos on YouTube for Magic the Gathering. There also used to be (at least in Canada) a TV show on G4 covering the Major League Gaming Series (I Think that's what it was called).

So... how much could it take?

I like the idea of repeating blocks, but maybe 12-hour blocks instead of 8 hour blocks?

Content.....
    - I am POSITIVE that you could get a couple shows at LEAST off of MTG. One could be coverage of PTQ and major events. One could be strategy. Maybe more than one strategy. You could probably do the same for Yu-Gi-OH. Add a couple of other ones for other cult card games (I:NWO? Pokemon? Whatever). Plus profile shows.
    - I know there's a t least one video gaming league still kicking around. Coverage of events, with commentary? Why not? Hell, people were PAYING for that online. And I know I have watched a TON of SF4 and MvsC2/3/UE videos off YouTube.

As for tabletop gaming... so many possibilities.
    - Partner up with the guy who owns Gen-Con, film all the keynote speakers and round tables, and show those. Hit the con circuit... flim some of the roundtable discussion that get held there. Do an actual awards show for the ENNIES. Do the same with Comic-Con. Even if it pisses of G4 TV (Hell, they change their mandate every 6 months.... either get their next change to do this, or if they go bankrupt or change things up, just steal ATTACK OF THE SHOW and their Comic Con/E3 coverage from tham)
    - We already have YouTube programs like "I Hit It With My Axe" as a blueprint for how a gaming show could look. With the advent of Google+, we also have precedent for how "broadcast gaming" could look. Up the production values, get some good editing. Imagine a weekly episodic campaign done Google+ style. A window for each player, one for the DM, central screen has the map, or tactical info, or animation to enhance the the DM's vision. Granted, you would need to top-load this far enough in advance to get a backlog of episodes, but it could work. And not just for D&D. ANY game. D&D. OD&D. Classic Traveller. Empire of the Petal Throne. WHATEVER. (Although I wouldn't want to be the one trying to get a licence to show an episodic STAR WARS campaign from LucasArts).
    - Other programs.... so many talk shows. Interviews with the talent. Imagine a series of talks with the Legends who are still around. Discussions or debates (I call dibs on the "new school vs OSR" debate show 8) ). I'm sure some fo the companies would LEAP at the chance to have a product review show. How about painting masterclasses, or landscape making, for tabletop warfare? Using minitaure battles to help explain historic battles? Ooooh..... WARHAMMER and WH40K Tabletop League Matches! So much......
    - other associated programming. I am SURE that most games are also comic book fans. Put on some shows about comics.... discussions.... exlaining storylines... interview with writers/artists. I would love to see a TV series where they just let Alan Moore, Grant Morrison or Neil Gaiman talk about anything for hours on end.
    - And, of course, syndicated shows. STAR TREK. HERCULES. XENA. FREAKS & GEEKS. All those old, classic shows that we never see anymore, but are on DVD (Space 1999... The 6 Million Dollar Man.... The Bionic Woman.... Manimal.....). A million movies to choose from. How about some of the newer shows that would appeal... FULL METAL JOUSTING. CASTLE WARS. Anything historical that would appeal to the masses. REAL SUPERHERO PROJECT. The possibilities are endless.

Basically, think of a mash-up of the best parts of SyFy, G4 Tech TV and The History Channel.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:21 pm  

SUPrUNown,

Good ideas! How about another man's blog. Basically a show about blogs on the internet and feedback on how they support the RPG community. We can interview site holders and sell advertising to companies like Mountain Dew for the barbarian in you! Get your Lay's chips when it's time for your inner Paladin to Lay down the law! When your stalking orc's in the wood's make sure your ranger's on par by keeping the insects away with Off Spray!

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:39 pm  

SUPrUNown and Argon,

Excellent ideas! I wish I had the time to be a part of such a project. It sounds like it could be quite successful and a blast as a career to boot! Happy

SirXaris
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:49 pm  

Sir Xaris,

Why not a guest from a third party publisher TPK games. Wink Getting a local cable channel is easy. I wonder what it would take to get a nationally televised channel going. Hmmmm...

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:05 am  

Satnite Frights, on Facebook, is a very cool gentleman I met this past Spring at GaryCon IV. He has his own cable channel and may be a very good resource for anyone intersted in advice on how to get such a project started.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/satnite.frights

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:08 pm  

SirXaris,

Thanks for the link. I have another advertising idea. "When fighting off rust monsters who eat your magical weapons and armor with ease." "Recharge yourself with Kraft Macaroni & Cheese."

Later

Argon
       Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: