JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Psionics <ducks>
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Psionics <ducks>
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:45 pm  
    Psionics <ducks>

I was talking to one of my players the other day, and I found myself telling him - "Your mage has been having weird headaches - and when he gets them he hears a strange, low buzzing noise in his mind". He doesn't know it yet, but his mage possesses a wild psionic talent. I don't know where the idea came from - perhaps it was just a lark, but I like it and I'm going to roll with it. His character, a human mage, can't become a full fledged psionist as laid out in the 2E Complete Psionics Handbook, but he can have wild talent. It fits his character, it fits his backstory (although he doesn't quite know it yet) and it fits his intense personality. I just have to figure out how to play it...

There's already a number of psionic foes in the campaign we're running (ToEE), so I don't really need to develop that angle. After reading through the Handbook a couple of times I think I'll have the player roll (blindly) to determine what powers he has. It's more like a permanent magic item at this level - unless he decides he want to develop it, at which time he could always switch classes. Anyway - no questions at this time - just wanted to share Wink

Last edited by nerdcav on Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:52 pm  

That's awesome nerdcav. Is it wrong that my first thought after reading this was "Thought Eater"? Followed "Intellect Devourer"? Evil Grin
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:02 pm  

Elliva wrote:
    That's awesome nerdcav. Is it wrong that my first thought after reading this was "Thought Eater"? Followed "Intellect Devourer"? Evil Grin

I've been thinking down that road myself. Part of why I think it's best that he blindly roll for the wild talent is so I don't unconsciously end up giving him defenses against the foes he'll face later. There's a number of psionic baddies listed at the back of the Psionic Handbook - I can't wait to dig them up. I'm going to let the power "trigger" naturally, as opposed to laying it out for him ahead of time. I'll role-play it by passing him notes detailing the increased pain - and then BAMMMM - psionic blast!! I've even been thinking about giving him some sort of debilitating after effect, kind of like the dad in King's Firestarter.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:43 pm  

Elliva wrote:

I'm thinking Brain Moles, Ulitharids, and Githyanki, oh my! Evil Grin

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:23 am  

SirXaris wrote:
    I'm thinking Brain Moles, Ulitharids, and Githyanki, oh my! Evil Grin

SirXaris

I've been fascinated by the Githyanki ever since I got my hands on the Fiend Folio way back in the day. I have a greater plot to the campaign which involves a Githyanki/Red Dragon alliance that threatens the countryside. I'm excited to start putting the pieces in play, even as the hapless heroes are struggling with the ToEE!

Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:15 pm  

Nerdcav,

Have missed your posts and glad to see you adding threads again. Don't be a stranger.

What rules do you intend to use for psionics? You have many different sources from which to pick, including a revamping of the rules in the "Options: Skills & Powers" book as well as "the Complete Book of Psionics."

-Lanthorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:27 am  

Lanthorn wrote:
    What rules do you intend to use for psionics? You have many different sources from which to pick, including a revamping of the rules in the "Options: Skills & Powers" book as well as "the Complete Book of Psionics."

For now I'm sticking with the Complete Book of Psionics. It's pretty comprehensive in regards to combat rules, telepathic contact, psionic duels, psionic vs non-psionic combat, etc. The idea of wild talent comes from this text, a kind of bastardization of the 1E rules regarding psionic ability.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:03 pm  

Nerdcav,

I wish I knew more about the wizards history. This way i could offer a few insightful suggestions. though I would think powers from the telepathic, clairsentient, or psychoportive powers could make sense for characters who are more cerebral. Psychic impression is my favorite clairsentient power. Mindlink can be an interesting telepathic power, though Dream Travel can be an interesting way of finding out about your wild talent.

I'll share a story of how I had a high level priest that could not understand why a bunch of skeletons could not be turned in what appeared to be a long abandoned tomb. Turns out an illithid took up residence in the tomb and animated the skeletal remains with animate object a psychokinetic ability.

I hope this helps.

Later

Argon
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: