Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Dungeon Crawl or Wilderness Adventure?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Dungeon Crawl or Wilderness Adventure?

Do you prefer adventures that take place in Dungeons, or in the Wilderness?
    Dungeons
    6%
     6%  [ 2 ]
    Wilderness
    0%
     0%  [ 0 ]
    Some of each, but favor Dungeons
    55%
     55%  [ 16 ]
    Some of each, but favor Wilderness
    20%
     20%  [ 6 ]
    Others (see posts)
    17%
     17%  [ 5 ]
    Total Votes : 29

GreySage

Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:47 pm  
    Dungeon Crawl or Wilderness Adventure?

So, what do each of you prefer: a dungeon-crawl, or an outdoor wilderness setting?

I'd set this up as a poll, but I am sadly inept at such things. If a CF! Admin wants to convert it, be my guest.

Give your answer, followed by a reason (or more) why. If there is a module that comes to mind to back your answer, feel free to add that too.

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:45 pm  

Done. Poll away! Happy

Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:03 pm  

Some of each but it is more a 50/50 split. My current campaign has the party as a 'strike force' immediately after the Greyhawk Wars* hitting areas controlled by Iuz and working to help get things moving to begin a crusade to retake the Shield Lands.There is some wilderness and dungeons are used for strongholds, fortresses and such.

My most successful campaigns had equal parts of wilderness and dungeon. After several unsuccessful attempts at a wilderness sandbox or pure dungeons went back to using equal parts of each.

*My version of the wars have them stalemating with no major treaty being signed. Thus they have not so much ended but been put on hold with flare ups.

Julian<div><br /></div><div><br /></div>
    GreySage

Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:28 am  

Firstly, I want to thank Cebrion for casting the "Create Poll" spell on my behalf. I guess I need to add that dweomer to my spellbook. Wink

I initially preferred the stereotypical dungeon crawl as a neophyte player and DM many, many moons ago. However, as I acquired more supplementary guides, particularly the Wilderness Survival Guide, that slowly began to change. This is in spite of the fact that I also own The Dungeoneer Survival Guide. Too, I prefer such races as elves over dwarves, and such character classes as wilderness priesthoods and rangers over those more adept at underground settings. It is a personal choice. Furthermore, with my biological background, I think my skill set and knowledge base is far more solid with running a wilderness campaign than a subterranean one. The deep earth is so alien to us 'surface dwellers' that I have difficulty truly comprehending that alien realm and its nuances, dangers, and ecosystems. To me, the wilderness above makes more 'sense.'

However, I will make the statement that one of my favorite modules of all time, and one I am currently running (albeit, it is on 'hold' for the moment while I am DMing a separate adventure), is the Lost Caverns of Tsjocanth. Typically, though, traditional dungeon crawls are more hack and slash affairs, something I don't really prefer.

So, I cast my vote for preferring wilderness settings with some dungeon overlaps.

-Lanthorn, Surface Dweller
    Paladin

Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:50 am  

Like Julian my current group of PCs are also post GHW razzing line partakers.... (Guess great minds think alike! happy to converse idea plots sidebar)

Lanthorn,
    I have been and am currently envious of your thought provoking angles. Wink You have a natural talent for presenting ideas for roundtable.

IMC while I enjoy a good dungeon crawl, I find the variety of environment and creatures to be more extensive and a greater mix in the wilderness. So again IMC the spit would be 25/75.
    I would temper that split with this caveat, I would categorize extra-planar travel in with the wilderness mix. (though as a minor inclusion IMC) and would categorize "in town" encounters as "crawls".

I, would also add as a general consideration, that encounters in the wild have a greater degree of battlefield dynamics. Flight adds a 3rd level of dynamics to the encounter. AND yes you could have some flight indoors, but not as likely the 'norm" as encountering creatures in the wild.

To add comment to the "crawl" part of this topic. There are certainly other dynamics that are fun in that form of environment. Traps, and controlling access and egress are among these. The interaction of geopolitical influences are also greater in "crawl".... IMC anyway.

So, I too cast my vote for preferring wilderness settings with some "dungeon" / town overlaps.
    GreySage

Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:02 am  

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:

Lanthorn, I have been and am currently envious of your thought provoking angles. Wink You have a natural talent for presenting ideas for roundtable.

Good sir paladin, you honor me thusly with your written accolades. Glad to be of service to the Canonfire! community, and hope to provide more 'roundtable' angles for years to come.

humbly,

Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:48 am  

Lanthorn wrote:
    The deep earth is so alien to us 'surface dwellers' that I have difficulty truly comprehending that alien realm and its nuances, dangers, and ecosystems. To me, the wilderness above makes more 'sense.'

Ever been to Ape Cave near Mt. St. Helens? Not really the deep earth, but gives you an idea of what you'd be dealing with underground or in a cave system. I need to make another attempt to organize a "field trip" for my players, to give them an idea of what they're dealing with when they're traveling through caves/sewers/dungeons. Evil Grin

That said, I'm in the "some of both but prefer dungeon crawls" camp. For ease of play I prefer something more linear, and I'm blessed with a group of players who don't care much either way. So, probably chalk it up to me being a lazy DM Wink Looking back at most adventures I run, out of dungeon time tends to get glossed over ("You follow the goblins' trail for 3 more days..." until they hit an encounter. I never use wandering monsters, although I sometimes do insert pre-planned wandering monster-type encounters, for flavor. Just so things don't seem to cookie-cutter and strictly story-line.
    GreySage

Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:56 pm  

I love all kinds of encounters, but as a DM I prefer dungeons to wilderness. Mostly, because they provide a parameter for the encounter that makes it easier to deal with movement. Outdoors, adventuring in three dimensions (DLG mentioned flight) and PCs having the option of moving in more random directions can pose more problems for me as a DM. It's fun when I'm prepared for it, but it takes more time.

SirXaris
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:11 pm  

I liek dungeons in the wilderness, personally. I've experimented with wilderness adventures, but haven't achieved something I was really happy with. That said, I've got more ideas that I'd really like to use someday.

On the other hand, I've never found city adventures interesting. Not sure why. Could be my background.
    CF Admin

Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:11 pm  

I voted "Some of each but favor Dungeons" but I'd really like to see some more good planar adventures!

Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:13 am  

I played in many dungeon based adventures and wilderness adventures. Though city-based adventures should be included. Dealing with local guilds thieves gangs and assassins can be quite enjoyable. Heck, political intrigue, and defenses can also be campaign worthy.

One of the reasons I was jazzed to run a Bissel campaign. Dungeons are good, wilderness is better and cities are under utilized.

I prefer planar adventures to focus on the inner and outerplanes. I don't care for prime hoping as I have seen this done to death in other games.

Later

Argon
    Master Greytalker

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:16 am  

I voted for wilderness. I use Anna's most AWESOME maps now, and it adds a lot. I just copy a part, then use Paint to add in dots showing they route. It works great and the group loves it. They also help in figuring out encounters and such, as they are so visually appealing.

The net is a HUGE help too, in fiding good pics to use. I almost alwas find just what I want!

Anyhow, the variet is so much better, that I l have reall grown to prefer the outdoors more now.
    GreySage

Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:57 pm  

ragnar wrote:
    I voted for wilderness... Anyhow, the variet is so much better, that I l have reall grown to prefer the outdoors more now.

Yeah, glad that I am not the only surface dwelling, wilderness advocate! Happy

Personally, though, I would die in the wilds...city/suburban life has made me 'weak.' Confused

-Lanthorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:41 pm  

I would have to go with the dungeon or should I say underground wilderness over surface wilderness (i've got a softspot for Drow, they don't tend to be very surface wilderness based).

Working in 3 dimentions with flight is still possible in places underground but less than above. Underground adventuring can I feel open more opitunities for players to encounter extraplanar being (again one of my favourite types of creatures)
    Paladin

Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:02 pm  

Argon wrote:
    I don't care for prime hoping as I have seen this done to death in other games.

gotta say I think this is one of the few times we are not aligned in thought my friend.....
    IMC I like "alternate primes" only because, IMO they allow for a "one off" type of game with out wrecking the campaign story line.
    EXAMPLE
    ***** PLOT BREAKER FOR MY PCS THAT MIGHT BE PEAKING IN!!!!!****

I Use Edill as an alternate world that the Elves and Dragonkind ran the Renee from. I have utilized the legend of the moongates and tied it to edill being the place to which they go on that sabbatical.
    While it is a "prime material" in my campaign, it has allowed me to twist some fun elements such as the total lack of humans, the common language,and add the presence of talking creatures (think narnia here).

I've developed a language based on the elvish Sindarin form Tolken started and it has become a nice diversion from Greyhawk, but not a replacement for it.

It has given a plausible home to many of my greyhawk races, ie the Doringerey (rabbit folk), and many Tauric type creatures such as Centaurs &  Kentaurides, & Kenku (bird folk). Not to mention the ancient ties between the elves and the dragons. By utilizing the "floating Continents of Edill" I could make use of each continent in a different manner. All of which not effecting the story line with in the WOG campaign.
    CF Admin

Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:42 am  

Other here.

Something about seafaring and ships really makes the gaming sessions memorable each and every week.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:50 am  

I ended up casting my vote in the "Both but favours dungeons" option purely from a DM point of view. For me it is much easier to run a dungeon based game as my party have grown too comfortable with the Pathfinder Adventure Path way of doing things and are used to being spoonfed their next moves in a linear story line so they function better in a more controlled environment.

I have to say though that from a player point of view I agree with Argon. The city adventure is greatly overlooked. I have grown to love adventuring in city campaigns where you can really become involved and integrated with the place and feel like your character has a reason to care about it.

As a player I also love the freedom of the wilderness and the whole it's the journey not the destination ethos that you can embrace there. I'm hoping to gradually get my players more comfortable with that concept ... hmm perhaps a shipwreck on a remote rugged coast is in order!
    GreySage

Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:23 am  

abysslin wrote:
    Other here.

Something about seafaring and ships really makes the gaming sessions memorable each and every week.

I almost put those in the "Wilderness" category given the elements and terrain, and the dangers those pose, not to mention the critters. And pirates!

In fact, I dabbled in a sea-faring campaign when I put my player through the well-known A series and he battled the notorious SlaveLords. I didn't run the modules in the typical format, and added some sea adventures as well, including a few ship-to-ship battles against pirates in the service of the Slavers. It was good fun and expanded my repertoire as a DM.

-Land-Lubber Lanthorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:28 pm  

Personally like a nice mix of city, wilderness, dungeon crawls and I'm hoping to introduce some ship battles and Greyspace adventures.
    Master Greytalker

Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:58 am  

My main criteria is that it needs to be a GREAT adventure. Memorable characters, excellent story and, perhaps above all, it needs to make sense. If it ticks those boxes then the location isn't as important*. So, I like both equally.

*Unless, of course, the location is the adventure.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: