JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Magical Vestment
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Magical Vestment
    GreySage

Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:31 pm  
    Magical Vestment

This is a "mechanics" question involving 3rd lvl priest (Protection Sphere) spell:

Can this 'vestment' to be enchanted be something like a tunic or shirt, or does it have to be some special clerical raiment? If so, what is the cost of this item?

-Lanthorn
    Paladin

Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:07 am  

not withstanding further review (as my books are not handy) My first thought is Coat of Arnd which is certainly more powerful than "just" a protection, but its not solely raiment either. SO, IMO would depend on the priest / deity relation and item.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:38 am  

The spell cannot be cast on whatever bit of clothing the priest might be wearing at the time, such as a regular shirt. It must be a holy vestment. Such garments are usually ornate (sewn with gilt thread/embroidery and/or sporting semi-precious stones), made from high quality (i.e. valuable) materials, or just extremely rare materials, so I would suggest a cost of at least 100 g.p. The form the garment takes will vary from faith to faith, but each garment will be highly valued and valuable. A nature priest might wear a vestment made of animal pelts, or woven animal hair or plant fibers, but probably not the most cheap animal pelts to come by, nor the most base animal hair/plant fibers. For instance, a priest of Xan Yae's vestment might be a shadowy cloak which just so happens to have been sewn with holy sayings/symbols/patterns in a color of thread that is so infinitesimally different than the cloak itself that only the keenest eye would ever notice. The process of making a vestment would have its own costs, and a vestment will also have likely been consecrated/blessed, which would be a part of its cost. The point is, a vestment is special. It isn't just a shirt, and even if it were "just a shirt", it would be a shirt worn by a murderer while they killed an innocent person (Pyremius), or was the last possession of a destitute man, which he freely gave away to another (Rao). So, the vestment itself need not be worth 100 g.p. or more, but it would require 100+ g.p. in resources to manage to get a hold of it and properly consecrate it. Some faiths might be simpler than others, but just make the cost the same for everyone, whatever you decide it should be.

The garment is, of course, not consumed by the spell, but is a required component.

Lastly, in my campaign, priests of faiths that do not allow them to wear heavier armors (or wear armor at all) use this spell very, very often, and, once they are of high enough level, they often imbue their vestments permanently with this spell. The most notable examples of this are the elaborate gowns/robes worn by priests of Wee Jas, and special robes/ cloaks/outfits worn by priests Xan Yae (see above for one example).

Last edited by Cebrion on Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:07 pm  

Cebrion, my player/fellow DM and I were kicking around this very topic, and is the reason why I placed the query out in the first place. His contention was the same as yours, that the vestment is religious in nature, and not a common article of clothing.

I was merely curious as to the opinions of others, and your argument makes perfect sense. I like your suggestions as to clothing types variable upon the different faiths represented. I will continue to peruse my various books that may have prices offered for priestly accoutrements. Otherwise, I can use your suggested 100 gp price as a starting point.

If anyone finds a price, though, for a priestly 'vestment,' please let me know!

thank you,

Lanthorn
    Paladin

Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:29 am  

In your quest for raiment, as Cebrion hints at, the 100gp cost may not simply be the market value of the materials, they could in part, include the cost to obtain rare components, or to authenticate "ordinary but unique" ones.

Worshipers of Elvis the Bard might place high value on that "cape" if it were confirmed authentic, yet to others it may just appear torn by ravenous "fans" and considered "ruined". So the apparent value my not be apparent nor equal for all.
    Evil Grin Laughing Cool

Ah... thankya... thankya very much.....

Mawwwahhhaaaaah
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: