JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Ring of Invisibility
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Ring of Invisibility
    GreySage

Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:23 pm  
    Ring of Invisibility

This is really a 1e/2e crossover question, but the 2e forum is my regular 'haunt,' so I will place it here:

The description of the Ring of Invisibility (both books) states that the wearer can enact its power "at will." This implies to me that the wearer of said ring can become invisible, attack/backstab with a bonus (+4) to "normal" foes, and when rendered visible after the attack, reuse and repeat, continuously...yes? That is how I interpret this magical item.

Furthermore, it takes but 3 segments for the ring (according to init modifier chart on page 94 of PHB) to render the wearer invisible.

That makes for a powerful ring!

OK, next question/situation that the 1e DMG notes, but its 2e counterpart fails to do so. It states that dwarves, gnomes, and halflings have a 20% for the ring to malfunction with each use.
    Is there a 'malfunction' chart or table? Or does the item merely not work (that is my impression, according to what I am reading in the 2e PHB) until there is another attempt?

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:12 am  
    Re: Ring of Invisibility

Lanthorn wrote:
    This is really a 1e/2e crossover question, but the 2e forum is my regular 'haunt,' so I will place it here:

The description of the Ring of Invisibility (both books) states that the wearer can enact its power "at will." This implies to me that the wearer of said ring can become invisible, attack/backstab with a bonus (+4) to "normal" foes, and when rendered visible after the attack, reuse and repeat, continuously...yes? That is how I interpret this magical item.

Furthermore, it takes but 3 segments for the ring (according to init modifier chart on page 94 of PHB) to render the wearer invisible.

That makes for a powerful ring!

It is a very powerful ring, but it cannot be activated on the same round after an attack is made (if that is what you mean). The ring can be activated at the beginning of the following round though, and the wearer can then make a half move to evade/skulk away.

Lanthorn wrote:
    OK, next question/situation that the 1e DMG notes, but its 2e counterpart fails to do so. It states that dwarves, gnomes, and halflings have a 20% for the ring to malfunction with each use.
    Is there a 'malfunction' chart or table? Or does the item merely not work (that is my impression, according to what I am reading in the 2e PHB) until there is another attempt?

-Lanthorn

There is no malfunction table. The malfunction is that the item simply doesn't work. The user may try again, rolling for the malfunction chance each time they try.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:49 pm  

Cebrion, you confirmed my interpretations. Thank you for your reply.

Lanthorn
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:11 am  

p.130 of the DMG. "the wearer of an invisibility ring is able to become invisible at will, instantly." also 10% of the rings are inaudibility(silence).

there is also more information on pages 59-60 about the detection of invisibility and a chart with copy beside it :)
    GreySage

Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:32 am  

Wondering if such rings require only mental thought...or a command word to be uttered.

Or is that a DM call?

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:06 am  

DM call.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: