Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - End of Living Greyhawk?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    End of Living Greyhawk?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:30 am  
    End of Living Greyhawk?

Mark of Heroes - the new Ebberron RPGA game.

Great, so now they regulate GH into the RPGA, won't let anyone outside of those on the Herald GM list know any of its events, and then only pieces, and now they bring Ebberron in. It looks like this might be WotC/Hasbro's final nail in the coffin.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:08 am  

Tiernan, are you planning a mutiny? Happy I converted to 4th Edition, a.k.a. HackMaster and i am really enjoying it.

The Grey Mouser

Never play a game where the players carry clubs - Grandma Watkins
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:13 am  
    Advice for a Module...

i accidentally posted
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:16 am  
    Re: End of Living Greyhawk?

Tiernan wrote:
    Mark of Heroes - the new Ebberron RPGA game.

Great, so now they regulate GH into the RPGA, won't let anyone outside of those on the Herald GM list know any of its events, and then only pieces, and now they bring Ebberron in. It looks like this might be WotC/Hasbro's final nail in the coffin.

Can you please explain this in more detail? I am not following.

"won't let anyone outside of those on the Herald GM list know any of its events?" What does this mean exactly?

GVD

Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:22 pm  
    What, now?

Hi, all.

I too, am a bit uncertain of Tiernan's concern. If the issue is that Living Greyhawk is going away, do not worry. The charter for the campaign does not expire until December 1, 2005. So, we have another year of the campaign, at least. RPGA memberships are steadily growing, and a lot of the new growth stems from a robust and vibrant Living Greyhawk campaign. I really believe the campaign will get another five-year charter next year.

Gaming oppurtunities and other events in the Living Greyhawk campaign are open to everyone. You may view the RPGA's calendar HERE and look for an event near you. You may also find your specific region, and visit its Web site to get an even better idea of game days and contact other gamers in your vicinity. You can find your region HERE.

Last, don't be afraid of Mark of Heroes. It's a D&D Campaign under the same rules and standards as Legacy of the Green Regent. Mark of Heroes is not a living campaign like Living Greyhawk. I imagine you will find a lot of people playing in both campaigns once Mark of Heroes launched at-large next month.

Does this help at all?

Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:11 pm  

CRAP!!! I was so upset, I typed Greyhawk instead of Ebberron!!! Ebberron is now part fo the RPGA!
    CF Admin

Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:40 pm  
    Yes, but it's cool

Tiernan wrote:
    Ebberron is now part fo the RPGA!

Yes, the RPGA's rendition of Eberron is called Mark of Heroes. And, whatever happens in Mark of Heroes is totally unrelated to Eberron games at large that people play in their homes. The Mark of Heroes campaign, like all of the RPGA's campaigns, is just another venue of play. I think it's a great idea for players and referees who want and need the structure of the RPGA and who want to earn points for their efforts.

People had to know that an organized campaign was coming for the Eberron Campaign Setting.

Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:23 am  

Thank you for the clarification. It will be interesting to see if the Living Greyhawk "charter" is renewed. If they are serious about Eberron, I would think they would not renew the "charter," just as they did away with Living City for the Realms, after a fashion. That way, anyone interested in a "Living" campaign would have only the choice of Eberron. If they are serious about supposedly "not dividing" their customer base, it would seem the logical decision to push Eberron.

That would still leave GH as the "default" but I am guessing that status will be altered with 4th Edition.

GVD

Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:59 am  
    Eberron replacing Living Greyhawk?

Well, the timing seems right: Create a Living Campaign using their shiny new world of Eberron and then have it try to usurp the fanbase of the other Living Campaigns to help drive its sales. The Living Greyhawk Charter expires December 1, 2005. Again, the timing is perfect as it gives the "Living Everron" campaign time to get established before the big date.

Considering that Wizards has relagated Greyhawk to "Beaten Stepchild" status this would not surprise me one bit. What their problem is with Greyhawk is, I couldn't guess (must have a problem with quality). Seriously, it must be something political within Wizards of the Coast itself, which is sad because Greyhawk Gamers have proven to be the most loyal and feverent followers of any campaign world.

We'll begin to get some hints about this if they start having 'Greyhawk-free' Dungeon Magazines as the year gets on. If this is the case, then I'd really REALLY start to worry about the future of Living Greyhawk as Eberron (vomits) comes to the fore and plays the role of usurper.

Time will tell.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:29 am  
    Re: Eberron replacing Living Greyhawk?

bdpenney wrote:
    Well, the timing seems right: Create a Living Campaign using their shiny new world of Eberron and then have it try to usurp the fanbase of the other Living Campaigns to help drive its sales. The Living Greyhawk Charter expires December 1, 2005. Again, the timing is perfect as it gives the "Living Everron" campaign time to get established before the big date.

Well....I think Living City died on it's own and realms got 'Green Regent' instead. I see no problem why several Living campaigns could not exist in the same time. If you go to RPGA scenario ordering there is a huge amount of different campaings up for ordering.

Living Greyhawk is going so strong at the moment there is absolute no rational reason to end it to push another setting.

Eberron gets lots of publicity and advertising, Living Greyhawk does not. Which one you think will attract more players?
    Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:47 am  

Quote:
    Living Greyhawk is going so strong at the moment there is absolute no rational reason to end it to push another setting.
    Parts of LG are strong, others I hear are not so hot. No matter what WotC does with EB or whatever else the RPGA puts on, GH won't go away, the fan base proved that when TSR blew up.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:08 pm  

The big thing in my opinion is the advantage Eberron players and DM's have. They can have hteir regular gaming group, go to an PRGA event on a weekend and EVERYONE including the DM, gets to play together in a sanctioned event. Then they go home to their supported campaign world and buy new products.
    We GH players have to comb books w/ broken spines, torn coers, and sift through magazine articles to get our fix. And IF we're lucky we might get a piece of news about a region outside our own at an RPGA event.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:27 pm  
    Re: What, now?

Greyson wrote:
    Hi, all.

I too, am a bit uncertain of Tiernan's concern. If the issue is that Living Greyhawk is going away, do not worry. The charter for the campaign does not expire until December 1, 2005. So, we have another year of the campaign, at least. RPGA memberships are steadily growing, and a lot of the new growth stems from a robust and vibrant Living Greyhawk campaign. I really believe the campaign will get another five-year charter next year.

Hey all,

There are no plans for Living Greyhawk to end after the its five-year run. When LG first started, the original Trads of the regions were required to submit a five year plotline of events, but this was not meant to be interpreted as the lifespan of the campaign.

I can't speak for other regions, of course, but my region (Verbobonc - Illinois/Indiana) is in the process of putting together our plotlines for Year 6 (CY 596/2006) and beyond, so the campaign will not be ending at the end of next year. That is not to say that LG will never end, but the levels of participation simply don't warrant it. LG is the largest WotC/RPGA campaign with over 20,000 players. It's not ending any time soon unless there is a drastic shift in participation this next year.

Vernon L. Vincent
    Verbobonc Triad
    CF Admin

Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:04 pm  

It wouldnt be Greyhawk if some of the fans were'nt crying out that the End is Nigh, now would it? Wink

Eberron envy aside its a matter of choice that brings you to Greyhawk and that alone will see you through the dark times broken spines, torn covers and all. Smile

I think I hear a collected sigh of relief from some of the Forgotten Realmers right about now..or maybe they are jealous of all the attention that we give Eberron now. Exclamation

Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:51 pm  

Hmm you may be right Deth, GO Eberron! Laughing
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:20 am  

Veering off-topic a bit, but I felt an urge to get the jab in:

Quote:
    That would still leave GH as the "default" but I am guessing that status will be altered with 4th Edition.

Greyhawk is not the D&D default -- if every reference to GH were removed from the rules, no one would notice. Why not call the deities in the PH Slam, Bam, and Ham rather than Pholtus, Cuthbert, and Hextor?

(Sorry, I've always considered this claim of a 'default' to be a sorry sham -- to what purpose, I have no idea)

Regards all :)

Jack
    CF Admin

Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:44 pm  
    Living vs. D&D

Hi, all.

I just wanted to note that Eberron's Mark of Heroes campaign is not a Living Campaign. It is a D&D Campaign with an entirely different set of campaign standards, rules and organization. Living campaigns differ vastly from D&D campaigns.

So, Legacy of the Green Regent and Mark of Heroes are D&D campaigns governed by standards from the RPGA.

But, Living Greyhawk is a living campaign, governed by a campaign sourcebook from the Circle.

I think this means that Living Geyhawk will certainly stay around as an alternative to the D&D campaigns (Legacy of the Green Regent and Mark of Heroes). And, as noted above, Living Greyhawk is very popular. I don't think we've seen an end to Living Greyhawk by any stretch.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: