Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Let's place psionic races on the map!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Let's place psionic races on the map!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:58 pm  
    Let's place psionic races on the map!

I know, I know... Many of you hate psionics, but please bear with me Smile

Where to put psionic races?

My suggestions:

Dromites are everywhere in the Underdark. Their number is few compared to e.g. svirfneblin and duergar.

Elans are originally suels, but after the Twin Cataclysm they have been spread all around the Oerth, particularly to Flanaess. Many Elan councils only accept suels.

Half-giants are a result of ancient suel sorcery. Some survived the Twin Cataclysm and have remained in the Sea of Dust. Some pathways, such as the one in Yeomanry, have enabled them to migrate to the East (very few, though, less then a couple of dozen).

Maenads live in Hyperborea. Of all the psionic races, they are the most numerous (9,000 - 11,000 inhabitants).

Xephs are very small minority in Zindia (Zahindia). Much larger community lives outside Oerth, in a city called Sigil.
    GreySage

Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:49 pm  

I mentioned dromites in The Nations of the Central Darkness.

Since Xan Yae and Zuoken are associated with psionics and human perfection, perhaps Zuoken could be the first of the elans and most elans could be Baklunish, rather than Suloise.

Putting the maenads in Telchuria is a pretty interesting idea; there isn't much going on there currently, and that keeps the maenads from cluttering up the Flanaess too much.

All of the Dark Sun races (like half-giants and thri-kreen) work fine in the former Suel territories of the Sea of Dust.

The Expanded Psionics Handbook stated that xephs were found "east across wide-open savannas, then deep below the lip of a great rift, where darkness reigns except for several psionically illuminated forests." I thought that sounded like the unnamed valley in the southern Kelo Hills in Hepmonaland.

Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:48 pm  

Great stuff Rasgon! I agree with you 100%. Yes, Elans come from Baklunishes, not Suloises. Hepmonaland is a good place for Xephs.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:02 am  

Not really relevant to this topic, but I thought it would be interesting to share.

I recall someone on another forum (rpg.net?) sharing their interpretation of the Elan that was quite interesting.

The Elan are humans transformed by a secret psionic process.
    Lords of Madness revealed that illithids (Mind Flayers) are actually from the distant future.

Conclusion: The Elan are the race that will eventually evolve into the illithids and the "psionic process" is actually a less violent version of being implanted with an illithid tadpole.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: