Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Another oldie returns after 30years!!!!!! Advice welcomed
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 1st Edition
    Another oldie returns after 30years!!!!!! Advice welcomed
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:47 pm  
    Another oldie returns after 30years!!!!!! Advice welcomed

Hi all,
    Well I've been perusing maps and rolling npcs and have decided on my campaign setting.
    I'm starting my first ever Greyhawk campaign after many years away from d&d. I've got a complete set of 1e hardbacks and I'm starting to gather resources together.
    I'm going with 1e Greyhawk but don't mind converting Lore friendly basic d&d or 2ed back to 1ed.
    I'm going to start my players (3 of who are totally new to non computer RPing so I'm really looking forward to this) at lvl 1 in The Hold of The Sea Princes in a small random trappers village on the border of the Hool Marshes. I already have the U1-3 Saltmarsh adventures - I don't want to force the players into any particular direction so would like to have a selection of modules/adventures planned for that area so it seems totally free form for them.
    Any module or resource advice you can give me to build up this area is greatly received - thank you all.
    Steve...
    GreySage

Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:48 pm  

Hello Pubzombie,

Firstly, I want to wish you lots of luck and great fun on your maiden voyage. Welcome back to DMing and to Greyhawk.

I don't think it will take much to get your players to start off your planned adventure, if that is your concern. You can easlily give them a basic reason or two to visit Saltmarsh (trading items, get supplies, whatever) and have them become embroiled in the U series at that point. Unless they are completely disinterested, I am sure they will be hooked and the adventure will unfold naturally.

If you are wondering what adventures to play out thereafter...well, that is another question. Maybe Tomb of the Lizard King as it is rumored to take place down in that area, though you may need to make various modifications to the storyline and locations in the actual module.

Lanthorn
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:48 pm  

Hi Pubzombie.

Great to see another old-schooler coming back.

Smile

Module resources... I think I can help there. Let me get a small list going for you here. I'll focus stuff that is 1E canon- and rules-friendly. Sea Princes you say... lemme see here...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A - Official TSR AD&D Stuff

If you can get either an electronic or hard copy of any of these, you could try:

I2 - Tomb of the Lizard King: Module, AD&D 1st Edition, 5th to 7th level - Technically a generic module but has since been officially added to the Hool Marshes.

I7 - Baltron’s Beacon: Module, AD&D 1st Edition, 4th to 8th level - Another "generic" classic that has been adopted into the Hool.

NB1-3 - Night Below Campaign: Module, AD&D 2nd Edition, 1st to 10th level - A campaign module for second edition which has placement information aimed at the Flanaess.

U1 - Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, U2 - Danger at Dunwater, U3 - The Final Enemy: AD&D 1st Edition, modules range from 1st to 4th level - These are located in Keoland, but the portion of that kingdom they are set in is right on the border of the Sea Prince lands.

WGR2 - Treasures of Greyhawk "On the Town" Adventure: Adventure, AD&D 2nd Edition, 8th to 10th level - Part of a worthwhile anthology of mid- 2nd Edition adventures (easily retrofitted back to 1st Edition). Canon is just before the Greyhawk Wars, I believe, so that should avoid any unwanted Scarlet Brotherhood entanglements from that version of the campaign.

UK1 - Beyond the Crystal Cave, UK2 - The Sentinel, The UK 3 - Guantlet: Modules, AD&D 1st Edition, ranges from 1st to 6th level - Three classics set well before the Greyhawk Wars in this area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fan-Made Adventures and Background Information
    J1 - The Beast of Geshtein: Fan Module, AD&D 1st Edition, 1st to 4th level - This one can be found over at Dragonsfoot.org as a free download from their modules section.

Osmund-Davizid's excellent article on the Sahuagin of the Azure Sea:
    http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=396

Sahuagin of the Azure Sea Map: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=224

Finally, at the risk of plugging my own work, you may want to grab two of my Adventurer's Atlas volumes here from CF. The whole atlas project is designed for exactly what you need - references of adventure resources for campaigning. (Go to the pages in the links below and scroll down until you find the download link at the bottom. You'll also need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view them.)

Greyhawk Adventurer's Atlas Volume 7: Covers the Sea Princes and a number of its neighboring states. http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1070&mode=&order=0&thold=0

[b]Greyhawk Adventurer's Atlas Appendix III:[b] This has all the source web sites and download links for any fan-made stuff listed in the Atlas. http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1061&mode=&order=0&thold=0

(If the links above don't work for some reason, then just browse over to the Articles section here at CF and look in the "Cartography & Geography" category for them.)

Also, there should be numerous articles here on Canonfire about the Sea Princes for possible background information. Be warned, you may get lost in it all the sources - CF has a HUGE amount of creative Greyhawk stuff.

Hope some of the above is useful - happy campaigning!

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:06 pm  

Wow that's awesome - thank you-
    That's my weekend sorted - I love this stage of putting the world and casing together.
    Cheers.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:29 am  

A quick correction for you on the Atlas. I mentioned Volume 7 when you want Volume 6 for the full breakdown Sea Princes. Apologies. (That's what I get for posting while distracted by offline stuff.)

Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:28 pm  

Reading through them :)
    It's good to be back in the the game !!!
    Putting the campaign together and making a few npcs for a new players was always one of my fave parts of AD&D ...
    Thank you
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:58 pm  

Are there any adventures - home brew here or official - or maps and data etc for Westkeep in Hool?
    Thank you.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:26 pm  
    DM of the rings

Knowing nothing of your players the comic strip DM of the rings is loaded with useful information. Useful in that it lets you get insight into what may occur.

I admire your plan to let them have complete freedom in the what direction they choose to take the game. For me its railroad all the way.

I wish you luck. Like you i returned to the game after 30 years away and do not regret coming back to it.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:42 pm  

Pubzombie wrote:
    Are there any adventures - home brew here or official - or maps and data etc for Westkeep in Hool?
    Thank you.

None to my knowledge, but that is by no means exhaustive. Best I can suggest is looking through the articles section here and PM-ing anyone who might have done a article on the area.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:47 pm  
    Re: DM of the rings

mcneilk wrote:
    I admire your plan to let them have complete freedom in the what direction they choose to take the game. For me its railroad all the way.

I wish you luck. Like you i returned to the game after 30 years away and do not regret coming back to it.

Thanks dude.
    I've got all the official and a few really nice home-brew adventures now for the area. My idea is to start the characters off travelling to the town of Saltmarsh in search of caravan protection/trade work - the area is going to be heavily invested in spice and slave trading to give the new players some ethical/alignment type issues to think about.
    Then there is u1-3 for them to get involved in if they want. And the Uk1-4 modules scattered around the area. Then there is the connection with lizard men from the u modules that can feed into the Hool area swamp really well for L and even N modules.
    The slave trade can then even send them off to Highport and the A series after they've levelled a bit.
    I like the idea of making them journey into the swampy marshes of the Hool area. It's got a river and as its tropical I'm going to make it partly mangrove and Forrest swamp in the centre and around the river. This will mean i can make it like Conrad's Heart of Darkness/apocalypse now - going to have a small trappers town just inside the swamp based on Gnatdamp from the new Gygax magazine as a hub for a few little forays. Was thinking of having a nice little short adventure based from there - characters need to travel up river to confront a crazy cleric called Kurtz who has gone insane and is turning folks into zombies to escavate a sunken temple he found in the swamp/marsh.
    It's shaping up - going to try to map out the Hool area in a bigger scale today.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Ps - DM of the Rings is great Laughing
    CF Admin

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:02 pm  

IIRC Maldin has a really nice Hool Marshes map too that's worth digging up.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 1st Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: