Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - If Sunsebb 28th is New Year's Eve, do people have a party?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    If Sunsebb 28th is New Year's Eve, do people have a party?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:12 pm  
    If Sunsebb 28th is New Year's Eve, do people have a party?

Just wondering what Oerth folk do on "New Year's Eve"?

Is there a count down to 12am? Are there fireworks (magic ones of course) when it strikes midnight?

Historically, how modern is the concept of celebrating New Year's Eve?

Me thinks, if there is a calandar designating when the year ends and when the new year begins, then folks are gonna celebrate it in.

Then after New Year you've got 7 days of Needfest holiday to get over yer hangover! Happy
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:29 am  

I'm sitting at work so don't have access to my books but I think I was always under the impression that Needfest IS the new year's celebration. As for an actual New Year's Eve - some people might celebrate it but as a whole week is set easide for celebration I would imagine most are just preparing for th eupcoming festivities.

to be honest I don't celebrate the holidays and festivals much as quite often the PCs ar ein the middle of the wilderness and the last thing on their mind is a holiday (they're a grim bunch) - however when they are in civilisation then it is nice if it coincides with a festival to add some flavour.

They have determined the day of their birth too and will usually give a small gift to the person on their birthday.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:49 pm  

I've always considered Needfest as the New Year's celebration as well. Since Needfest is at the beginning of the calander, then Sunsebb 28th would actually be the eve of the new year, but I always assumed most of the celebrations occured during the fest week.
    Scott
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:48 pm  

Thanks, folks Smile

Yes, I kinda thought Needfest was the New Year celebration but then I have a tendency to wanna put it just at the *end* of the year rather than at the *beginning* of the year. This way, you have your week of celebration, then it culminates with New Year at its very end.

This means 1st Fireseek would be New Year's Day.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:46 am  

I remember some source stating that Needfest wasn't part of the new year, despite the layout of the original Gazetteer.

I may very well be wrong -- it's a vague recollection.

Jack
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: