Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - What, in the name of Rao, is a Buckler Wand?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    What, in the name of Rao, is a Buckler Wand?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:37 pm  
    What, in the name of Rao, is a Buckler Wand?

I've exhausted my google-fu, and I'm coming up empty. What is a "buckler wand"?

Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:24 pm  
    Re: What, in the name of Rao, is a Buckler Wand?

nerdcav wrote:
    I've exhausted my google-fu, and I'm coming up empty. What is a "buckler wand"?

-Well:

http://www.ekkaia.org/rpg/dnd/land_beyond_mirror.pdf

" I converted the buckler knives and buckler wands into bucklers of the same type and bonus..."

A device which functions as a magic wand, but which is in teh shape of a buckler (and which can be used as such). U, he asked?! Confused
    GreySage

Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:33 pm  
    Re: What, in the name of Rao, is a Buckler Wand?

jamesdglick wrote:
    A device which functions as a magic wand, but which is in the shape of a buckler (and which can be used as such).

Hmm. Confused

So a buckler is no longer considered "armor" of any kind and can be used by a Magic User, or was this devise created for certain types of Magic Users in specific?

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:22 pm  

As jamesdglick indicated, it originated in The Land Beyond the Magic Mirror, and it also appeared in the 1e Unearthed Arcana and the 2e Encyclopedia Magica.

From the latter:
    Quote:
    This is a short, thick wand 1 1/2 feet in length with an extremely sharp point on one end and a trigger mechanism built into the opposite end, which is blunt. The wand is usable by any character except one of the priest class and can be activated with an initiative modifier of one. When the thick end is grasped firmly, and the trigger pressed, the tip of the wand becomes the equivalent of a dagger +1 and the rest of the shaft blossoms into a round shield of buckler size having a +1 magic value. The whole becomes equal to a spiked buckler +1. Because of its dweomer, it can be employed by wizards, but no spells can be cast while it is in buckler form unless the possessor is a multiclassed character with fighter abilities in addition to wizard abilities. A thief who employs the wand's powers cannot climb walls or employ other abilities requiring the use of his or her hands while holding the device.

EDIT: The only slightly different original description from EX2, which doesn't compare it to a dagger, which makes sense, since it can't actually be used as a dagger according to the EM description.

Quote:
    A shortish, thick wand of some 1½’ length with an exceptionally sharp point on the end, usable by any class except clerics. The buckler wand can be activated in a single segment. When the thick end is grasped firmly and a trigger pressed, a round shield of buckler size and a +1 magic value springs from the shaft. The wand tip becomes equal to a spiked buckler +1. Because of its dweomer, it can be used by magic-users, but no spells can be cast when it is in buckler form, unless the individual is a multi-classed character with fighter abilities also. The above restrictions do not apply to thieves, who are restricted only from climbing (or hand manipulations) when holding the device.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: