Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Back to the Future (Or how my players went back to AD&D)
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 1st Edition
    Back to the Future (Or how my players went back to AD&D)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:26 pm  
    Back to the Future (Or how my players went back to AD&D)

I've been gaming like so many other players who visit these forums for decades. I've played all the D&D editions, and yes, even 4e heresy. I became involved in 4e because of my children who joined a D&D club at their school.

They asked and I indulged the interest and before you know it, I was running three distinct 4e campaigns: one for my old school, fellow adult group; one mix of my kids and my old schoolers, and another with my kids and one of my old schooler's child.

After one session, my good friend and old schooler suggested that we introduce the kids to AD&D. I knew the books were being reprinted and he struck the right cord at the right time. The only real way to capture "first edition feel" was, well, to play first edition.

I had my doubts. Would this young generation of gamers reared on 4e with its "bling" be able to adapt to the idea that a negative number was a good thing? That treasure had real value and goblins really didn't have 50 hit points? Could they part with the daily powers, encounters, slides, pulls and the idea that yeah, I really did need to know whether or not you had a ball of sulphur and bat guano in your belt pouch?

I didn't finally make the break until just a few nights ago during my old schooler's campaign. It took three hours to battle a hydra as the players fumbled through encounter powers, daily powers and healing surges. Combat actually became a drag. We made a decision. Let's convert- backwards.

I brought the topic up with my kids, who, hopped on board willing to give a try. Granted, we had our moments as the kids sought to understand the differences but they kept an open mind. We had our first old school session on Sunday and behold, the loved it. They loved the speed and pace of combat, the collecting of treasure, the thinking involved in how to enter the enemy stronghold. They're psyched about AD&D.

Personally, I found a certain comfort and ease to it. I didn't need a online encyclopedia to find the numerous powers, monsters and magical items. I ran four combat encounters with multiple opponents in the time that it took to battle one hydra in 4e. The flow of the game was excellent which lent to a better narrative and an all around better experience in gaming. The Flanaess was back as it was meant to be!
    CF Admin

Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:05 pm  
    Re: Back to the Future (Or how my players went back to AD&am

DeanP wrote:
    I brought the topic up with my kids, who, hopped on board willing to give a try. Granted, we had our moments as the kids sought to understand the differences but they kept an open mind. We had our first old school session on Sunday and behold, the loved it. They loved the speed and pace of combat, the collecting of treasure, the thinking involved in how to enter the enemy stronghold. They're psyched about AD&D.

Personally, I found a certain comfort and ease to it. I didn't need a online encyclopedia to find the numerous powers, monsters and magical items. I ran four combat encounters with multiple opponents in the time that it took to battle one hydra in 4e. The flow of the game was excellent which lent to a better narrative and an all around better experience in gaming. The Flanaess was back as it was meant to be!

Sounds like fun, DeanP: clearly you're bringing these kids up right :D :D

Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:46 pm  

Nice post, DeanP. Thanks for sharing that experience with us. Happy

SirXaris
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:54 pm  

Dean,

Its nice to see that going back to your gaming roots sparked an interest from the next generation. Keep us updated on more of your adventures in 1e.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:07 pm  
    Re: Back to the Future (Or how my players went back to AD&am

DeanP wrote:
    I became involved in 4e because of my children who joined a D&D club at their school.

WOW, that's a rarity! With all the typical 'bad press' that gaming groups get for a variety of (largely bogus) reasons, particularly Dungeons and Dragons, I am surprised that their school has an official, and school-endorsed, D&D club!

Have fun,

-Lanthorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:57 am  

Thanks all.

I'll be sure to post a few updates about the experience.

With regards to the school, yep, it's an official club at a public school. The school generally has a positive environment that encourages all sorts of pursuits and interests.
    GreySage

Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:49 pm  

DeanP wrote:

With regards to the school, yep, it's an official club at a public school. The school generally has a positive environment that encourages all sorts of pursuits and interests.

Incredible. Cool As a high school science teacher, I am in charge of 'running' our Science Club, but as a gamer, I have kept my eyes and ears peeled for someone on the staff to mention a Gaming Club (or DnD Club). I know I've got a few kids who are gamers, and even overheard and saw some of my students talking about DnD. I even referred to one girl as "Spellfilcher" when she let me see her elven character (it was folded up and placed in her binder). Years ago another student who played the game called me Dungeon Master when he discovered that I knew the lexicon of DnD. Cool

I shoulda given that kid extra points. Wink (No, I didn't...and wouldn't, if you must know...)

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:08 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    I shoulda given that kid extra points. Wink (No, I didn't...and wouldn't, if you must know...)

And there you go . . . selling us down the river! Shocked

Again! Cry

That kid deserved "Extra Credit." Instead, you gave "extra credit" to the punk who answered the "bonus question."

And he cheated! Surprised

Evil Grin

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:11 pm  

Next I will run for political office.

Do I have your vote?

Maybe Baronzemo should construct a poll on that topic:

Lanthorn for Office? Happy

-Lanthorn, lowering the standard of education ? Shocked
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:43 pm  

Lanthorn,

I can see the final exam now for your class. Name three types of clouds and their characteristics or meet me at 4pm in the library and don't forget your dice and PHB! Wink

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:40 am  

BONUS QUESTION:

For 10 extra points:

"For what is the City of Greyhawk named?" Shocked

Or, if the students are especially "slow:"

"For what animal is the City of Greyhawk named?" Evil Grin

Or, for the really "slow:"

"For what bird is the City of Greyhawk named?" Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:26 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    BONUS QUESTION:

For 10 extra points:

"For what bird is the City of Greyhawk named?" Laughing Laughing Laughing

Uh, the Olyphant? Razz

SirXaris
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:23 pm  

We said he was a noble paladin not a master alchemist. Razz

SirXaris what bird is Greyhawk city named after?

Laughing

Later

Argon
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:17 pm  

Well, now my oldest wants to turn his 4e campaign into a 1e campaign. The middle child, he's loving his 1st edition fighter and how important it is to have henchmen. He made his first "save or die" too...and he was pumped when he made the save. You can see it, he knew he earned that level!

The youngest, she's was stunned when her character was turned into a snake by one of the Yuan Ti, and was on edge for her system shock rolls. When the players made the decision not to press further into the Forbidden City and instead return with the chief's son and break the "curse" on their trnsformed companion, they knew they couldn't risk going back through the same entrance. They were thinking.

They've come to appreciate treasure, finding magic items and the value of spells that help you detect and identify objects and obstacles.

I'm planning to get them the reprinted first edition books- it should be quite interesting when they bring those to their school's D&D club in September
    GreySage

Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:37 pm  

Tis nice for the current generation to appreciate the roots and novelty of 1e materials. True, the game has evolved through the decades, but there is a certain nostalgia that comes with the original books.

Glad your kids are enjoying the game. It's both endearing and interesting to hear about a tradition and 'family time' spent around the GAMING table playing an RPG with dad and his kids.

Cool stuff, that.

-Lanthorn

UGH! This was my "Abyss" post at a 666 count! Evil Grin Hurry, someone, write something QUICK that will lure me into replying...QUICK!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:00 pm  

DeanP,

It seems that you have proven less can be more. I hope you all enjoy your future adventures. Now can we pull Lanthorn out of the Abyss?

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:21 pm  

Done! (Actually, two posts ago...but thank you for the sentiment, friend!)

DeanP, keep us updated about the 'education' of these younguns! Happy

What adventure/module do you have in mind next?

-Lanthorn, Free at Last!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:45 pm  

Lanthorn,

Don't be so sure posts can disappear and you can find yourself back in the Abyss.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:20 am  

DeanP wrote:
    Well, now my oldest wants to turn his 4e campaign into a 1e campaign.

Ah! Hope springs eternal! Cool

There may be a future for "The Game" after-all, in spite of the machinations of the "misguided." Evil Grin

DeanP, tell you oldest he just acquired a new "Uncle!" Evil Grin

That's my boy! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:18 am  

Maybe his oldest will 'make the leap' to 2e in college. One can hope. Happy Then he will 'see the Light!"

-Lanthorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:10 pm  

Thanks all.

The Greyhawk setting I started with is a Flanaess plunged into a post war dark age. Numerous realms collapsed, emphasizing the "isolated fief" /"points of light" concept. I also lifted part of the "Serpent Amphora" storyline from the Scarred Lands setting. In this tale, the PCs are heading to the Forbidden City in possession of a spell to ensure the essence of a primordial being that's threatening to return from its prison is utterly destroyed. Should they prevail and curb the threat of the Yuan Ti, they'll likely seek to return to Keoland. Once back in Keoland, they'll go about restoring the order and unity of that realm which began prior to their journey to the jungles. The council of nobles in Keoland have voted for a new king. He will take the Throne of the Lion. In the name in Keoland, the party will help restore order and unity. Crucial to that will be secruing the bordelands and aiding the once vassal states of Geoff and Sterich who are under the yoke...of giants. I bet you can all see where this is going. Smile
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:53 pm  

DeanP,

Glad to hear things are going well. Can't wait to see how the party fares against the giants! Wink

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:33 am  

DeanP,

I know some folks dislike the 'new & improved" version of Against the Giants: Liberation of Geoff, but you may want to take a peak at it...

-Lanthorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat May 04, 2013 5:36 pm  

Quote:
    I know some folks dislike the 'new & improved" version of Against the Giants: Liberation of Geoff, but you may want to take a peak at it...

I happen to have it.
    GreySage

Sat May 04, 2013 9:57 pm  

DeanP, what are your thoughts on said module?

-Lanthorn
    Adept Greytalker

Sun May 05, 2013 12:44 am  

I've just read through this thread for the first time. I really enjoyed hearing about how the transition to 1st edition went! About a year or maybe a bit less ago switched back from 3.5 / pathfinder to running a 1st/2nd edition mash up and I've really enjoyed it! There's a purity to it that later editions don't capture for me.

Anyways, although I'm a bit late to the party in saying so; thanks for sharing!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun May 05, 2013 6:05 am  

Quote:
    DeanP, what are your thoughts on said module?

I think it ties nicely into the over concept of my campaign. I love the originally three tying into the "D" series (that doesn't constitute a spoiler, does it?), so, I would have the concluding "G" module lead to the Descent into the Depths of the Earth.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 1st Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: