JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Gencon 2013-Canonfire Meetup
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Gencon 2013-Canonfire Meetup
    Forum Moderator

Mon May 13, 2013 8:53 pm  
    Gencon 2013-Canonfire Meetup

Okay folks, I'm throwing down the gauntlet early. Who else is going to Indy this year and who is going to have a drink and talk hawk with me?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue May 14, 2013 3:16 am  

I will be their all 4 days! Happy
    GreySage

Tue May 14, 2013 9:19 am  

I'll be there for the entire convention, too, so let me know when and where and I should be able to make the gathering.

As long as there's food! Happy

SirXaris

Tue May 14, 2013 1:06 pm  

Anyone else hedding to nerd Mecca? Well Mort, the last two times we got together we talked more about sports than greyhawk Laughing
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue May 14, 2013 10:44 pm  

I'm in. But if y'all start talking sports I'm gonna start ordering stuff outta Blasphemous Cocktails till you get interesting...
    Forum Moderator

Tue May 14, 2013 10:59 pm  

Sports is safer than politics. But okay I'm willing to try more Greyhawk talk... Razz
    GreySage

Wed May 15, 2013 9:10 am  

Free_City_Assassin wrote:
    I'm in. But if y'all start talking sports I'm gonna start ordering stuff outta Blasphemous Cocktails till you get interesting...

I'm with the Assassin on this. If I'm not playing in the game, I don't care anything about it. Razz

Greyhawk, on the other hand, is an interesting topic, no matter who's campaign we're discussing. Happy

SirXaris

Sat May 18, 2013 5:47 am  

Hey guys, by a miraculous coincidence, I may have to come over to the US (from Australia) for work. I'm trying to swing so that I can go to Gen Con just prior to work. The timing looks pretty good. I have to get a flight from LA to Indianapolis, but so far it looks plausible.

Since I've never been, can you tell me, if I had two days would that be enough to have a bit of fun? I expect I will want to spend a lot of time in the exhibitor hall (buying stuff) - any idea how long I should allow for that? Is a half day enough?

I figured I would also play in a couple games if possible.

If I book in the next few weeks, will I be able to find a hotel nearby?

Any advice or tips would be welcome, in case I manage to pull this off.

I would think it especially call to meet up with you guys and talk Greyhawk - though I get the feeling I will want more time.
    GreySage

Sat May 18, 2013 6:51 am  

Phalastar wrote:
    Hey guys, by a miraculous coincidence, I may have to come over to the US (from Australia) for work. I'm trying to swing so that I can go to Gen Con just prior to work. The timing looks pretty good. I have to get a flight from LA to Indianapolis, but so far it looks plausible.

That's great, Phalastar! Hope it works out for you.

Quote:
    Since I've never been, can you tell me, if I had two days would that be enough to have a bit of fun? I expect I will want to spend a lot of time in the exhibitor hall (buying stuff) - any idea how long I should allow for that? Is a half day enough?

Lol! Laughing A week wouldn't be enough! But, yes, you'll have a grand old time in two days. The exhibitor hall is enormous and none of us has enough money to buy everything we want. Wink

I can't say how early you need to look for a close hotel, but the earlier you book, the better. If you don't get into a nearby hotel, you may need to rent a car. Parking across the street is about $15.00 per day, if I recall correctly.

Be sure to peruse the events calendar and sign up for the events you want to participate in or they'll likely be closed by the time you get there.

Looking forward to seeing you, Phalastar! Hands in your pockets, eyes on your purse! Happy

SirXaris

Sun May 19, 2013 7:29 pm  

Ok, I had a question. A while ago I know me Darkherald and Sir Xaris had mentioned putting something together so we could have a huge Greyhawk meet up at the 2014 Gen Con. I have never been to a convention so this is more about meeting some of the people I chat with online. Besides my anniversary falling on August 17th has prevented me from ever attempting this previously.

I know we wanted to sell some merchandise in hopes of gathering enough money for those members who are cash strapped poor could attend. On a side note you all go to Gen Con often. I need to know when the 2014 con would take place? I don't care how close the hotel is as saving money would be key if this thing ever sees the light of day. Maybe if we book a year in advance, I could negotiate with one of the hotels further away on a discount and arrange for travel to and from Gen Con.

Later

Argon
    Novice

Thu May 23, 2013 6:40 pm  

Does anyone run GreyHawk games at Gencon anymore (any edition?)
    GreySage

Thu May 23, 2013 7:54 pm  

Modo wrote:
    Does anyone run GreyHawk games at Gencon anymore (any edition?)

That's a great question!

I run generic Pathfinder games because I attend GenCon Indy on a 3PP's tab, but I've got time to participate in other games. I'd love to join in on any Greyhawk adventure. Smile

SirXaris

Thu May 23, 2013 11:12 pm  

Modo that's a good Q. Certainly nothing major. Maybe that's what we should plan for a meet up instead, an actual game.
    GreySage

Tue May 28, 2013 12:57 pm  

mortellan wrote:
    Modo that's a good Q. Certainly nothing major. Maybe that's what we should plan for a meet up instead, an actual game.

It might be fun to play-test an adventure submitted for the second edition of the Canonfire Chronicles. Now, we need people to get busy writing so that we have a play-testable draft by August. Wink

SirXaris

Tue May 28, 2013 4:54 pm  

Hey Mort! Wish I could. I do have my Leave signed off for it... and I do have enough saved, but no hotel room booked... a few issues need to be resolved in June and if my "ship" docks, then I'll be there for certain. Not sure if you'll have means to monitor this site, but if I go, I'll post it!

I like root-beer and spiced rum (Captain Morgan) Cool

Till then, I hope you guys get together and get a good chat down along with some wobble pops Laughing

Cheers! Happy

AncientGamer Cool aka BusterBudd

</a>AncientGamer aka BusterBudd
    Forum Moderator

Tue May 28, 2013 7:19 pm  

Yeah Budd, I'll be keeping an eye on the site at Gencon since well...I'm technically going to the convention as press for Canonfire. That means I'll need some sort of content to report. Hmm....
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:26 am  

I am a GenCon rookie, and plan to attend for all four days.

HOWEVER, I have a question. I was going to register online today, and EVERY game and seminar I want to play in is already booked solid. I know you can buy generic tickets and hope to get in, but in the experience of members of this board, what is the likelihood of that happening?

The only things I want to attend that are open are games of Magic the Gathering at 11pm each night. It would suck travelling 14 hours by car, only to not get into ANY of the events I want to get into.
    GreySage

Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:42 am  

SuperUnown:

Last year was my first at GenCon Indy, so my experience is limited, but I found that about a third of the events I participated in had seats that got filled by generic ticket-holders. They are filled on a first-come, first-served basis, though, so you need to get to the event early and tell the GM that you are there to fill an available empty slot if one presents itself at start time.

Your chances to get into the event you want are low, using that method, so you need to have a list of several events you'd like to participate in during any given time-slot. That way, if your first choice has no open slots, you can run over to the next and the next and so on until you find a seat. Neutral

Now, I'll throw in a plug for two events that I'm running myself:

Fen of the Five-fold Maw: Part I
    Fen of the Five-fold Maw: Part II

It is a 3PP swamp adventure that I am writing for TPKGames using the Pathfinder rules system . These are expected to be the final play-tests before the adventure is published.

To find them, click the Find Events link on the left under Home. Type 'Fen' into Keywords and 'Pathfinder' in Game System and hit the Search button. These two events will show with the available number of tickets remaining.

SirXaris

Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:03 am  

Thanks for the advice. Sadly, everything I want to play in is "old school" systems, so I guess they fill up quicker.... Moldvay D&D, Cyberpunk 2020, Unknown Armies, d6 Star Wars, C'thulhu, Deluxe Illuminati. The only "new" stuff I play is Magic... I haven't even played in an RPG for years, because there's no group where I am, and dial-up is not Google+ friendly. (That being said, I'm going to my first con EVER this weekend, and hope to get into the experience).

What is 3PP? And would it support osmeone who has no idea what the game system is? Maybe I'll look into playing in that, or tyring to get into Michael Curtis' THE CROAKING FANE game.

The moral of the story is, I need to decide NOW to go NEXT YEAR, and register on the first day.
    GreySage

Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:17 pm  

SUPrUNown wrote:
    What is 3PP? And would it support osmeone who has no idea what the game system is?

3PP = Third Party Publisher. The OGL (Open Gaming License) allowed many 3rd parties to begin publishing their own adventures and accessories for 3.x. These include Hackmaster, Castles & Crusades, OSRIC, and others, but Paizo has proven the most successful with Pathfinder. Total Party Kill Games writes adventures and accessories compatible with the Pathfinder rules system. It is very similar to 3.x edition of D&D.

Be sure to look over everything that's going on, though. MtG is certainly popular and you can always get into one of those games, but there are other board games going on all the time - wargames and non-wargames.

SirXaris

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:30 pm  

So, I went to my first con EVER this weekend (PrairieCon XXXIII, I think), and had a BLAST! I am now pumped to go to GenCon, even if I can't get into the events I want. I am already fearing the damage I will wreak at the gaming auction, after the damage I wreaked this weekend (highlights included a first edition DEITIES & DEMIGODS in better shape than the one I have for $30, a bundle with an AMAZING condition RULES CYCLOPEDIA for $50, a first edition PENDRAGON box for $6, that turned out to also have the PENDRAGON CAMPAIGN and BOOK OF NOBLES in it, a stack of 6 or 7 Pinnacle DEADLANDS books for $20, and a copy of the first eidtion of TREASURES OF MIDDLE EARTH VOL. 1 for MERP for $2).

I would DEFINITELY be down for a meet-up, especially if it involved finding a quiet table to run an improptu Greyhawk game. 8)
    GreySage

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:40 pm  

SUPrUNown wrote:
    So, I went to my first con EVER this weekend (PrairieCon XXXIII, I think), and had a BLAST! I am now pumped to go to GenCon...

Glad to hear it, SUPrUnown. Looking forward to seeing you there.

SirXaris Smile

Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:06 pm  

Alas, I will not be attending GenCon again this year. Le sigh....

Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:34 pm  

OK, looks like we have Mortellan, Sir Xaris, free_city_assassin, Superunown, Phalastar (maybe) and my self. So now we have to pick a night to meet up at the Ram. I could do it Thur. night but Friday night is best for me. After 7pm would be great for each day.
    GreySage

Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:55 pm  

baronzemo wrote:
    OK, looks like we have Mortellan, Sir Xaris, free_city_assassin, Superunown, Phalastar (maybe) and my self. So now we have to pick a night to meet up at the Ram. I could do it Thur. night but Friday night is best for me. After 7pm would be great for each day.

I'll be there all four days, so I can meet Thursday, Friday, or Saturday evening. Just let me know so I can plan around it.

SirXaris

Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:49 pm  

baronzemo wrote:

I have a podcast dinner commitment on Thurs. Fri & Saturday I'm haunting the RAM though.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:14 pm  

Actually, Wednesday night works best for me, or Sunday, but whatever. I leave Winnipeg around 3pm Tuesday, and my group is driving all night, so I should arrive in Indy around 7 or 8 am Wednesday, and we don't leave until about 6am monday morning. Yes, we are crazy. 8)

Give me directions to the "Ram" you speak of, and a day and a time, and I will try to be there (although I think I am booked into a Magic tourney at 10pm on Thursday....)
    GreySage

Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:41 pm  

SUPrUNown wrote:
    Give me directions to the "Ram" you speak of...

If I recall correctly, The Ram is just a block down the road and around the corner from the main entrance to the convention center.

SirXaris

Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:15 pm  

Argon wrote:
    Ok, I had a question. A while ago I know me Darkherald and Sir Xaris had mentioned putting something together so we could have a huge Greyhawk meet up at the 2014 Gen Con.

Probably worthy of its own thread, so it's not lost in the mix of 2013 shennanigans, Argon.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:49 pm  

Have fun guys. My work trip got delayed to Oct so I'm out this year. I haven't given up hope for next year. Hope you have a good time.
    Paladin

Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:38 am  

grodog wrote:
    Argon wrote:
    Ok, I had a question. A while ago I know me Darkherald and Sir Xaris had mentioned putting something together so we could have a huge Greyhawk meet up at the 2014 Gen Con.

Probably worthy of its own thread, so it's not lost in the mix of 2013 shennanigans, Argon.

This sounds like a good plan!... Count me in Smile
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:18 pm  

I'll be at the Ram on Friday at 7:30-ish. Hope to see all of you guys!
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:43 pm  

I'll be there all four days this year as well. RAM at 7:30 Friday sounds good. Hell, chances are I'll be there on other nights, too. We may want to create a meet-up event on Facebook & invite some folks from the Canonfire FB group & the Flanaess Geographic Society as well.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:20 pm  

Friday at 7:30. I'll see if I can fit it into my schedule.
    GreySage

Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:23 pm  

Friday at 7:30pm works for me, too. Smile

SirXaris

Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:46 am  

Friday is a winner. Plus Saturday for me most likely.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:33 pm  

Okay guys, I created a Facebook event. If you're on the Book of Faces, it's here: https://www.facebook.com/events/476597279100670

Feel free to "friend" me if you haven't before--just let me know who you are if your CF name is different from your FB name (my FB name being Rob xx, btw).
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:39 pm  

Oh yea, everyone meet up at the bar Smile
    Forum Moderator

Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:10 am  

Good call baron.
    Last chance anyone else gonna be around indy?
    Forum Moderator

Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:59 pm  

Apparently I will be at the Ram on Wednesday at 7pm. My gaming podcast/game group http://gamerstable.com will be there, so anyone, come on out if you're not busy.
    GreySage

Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:17 pm  

Looking forward to it. Happy

So, I'll be heading out to Indianapolis, IN tomorrow with some of the crew from TPKGames. Probably won't have an opportunity to get online at Canonfire! for the next four days, but meeting some of you guys in person will be even better. Cool

SirXaris

Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:33 am  

So I met up with several of these weird Greyhawk junkies Friday night at The Ram during GenCon. I fit right in! Laughing Mortellan, Robbastard, Baronzemo, "Jason" from Gamer's Podcast, and a henchmen or two who's names I'm embarrassingly forgetting.

I had a great time chatting with you fellas about Greyhawk, female cosplayers, and grog. I hope you all had as much fun at GenCon as I did and I look forward to seeing if we can actually plan a Greyhawk event next year. Wink

SirXaris

Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:26 pm  

All apologies folks. My first GenCOn, and I quickly learned that I had SEVERLY overestimated my ability to get stuff done. 8) Friday night rolled around, and I wall deep into a Learn to Play Deluxe Illuminati game when the time came for the meet-up. By the time we finished the game, and I realized that I had missed the meet-up, it was already past midnight.

However, I am planning on going next year, and on planning better. 8) I would LOVE to set aside some time to game out with folks as well (best part of the week-end: getting into both halves of the B/X Keep on the Borderland game, and having a BLAST. Let's just put it this way... I ended up playing a magic-user who's armor class was.... 11. Yes, 5 DEX for a wizard is not a good thing 8). Now that I have an idea of waht I can get done, and how not to burn myself out (and hopefully, no 22-hour van ride the day before to get there 8/ ), coupled with getting a hotel room attached to the ICC, I will be well prepared for a meet-up. 8)
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:42 pm  

Someone mentioned on Mort's blog that the RAM is too crowded.

Anyone have any other suggestions for next year?

While I agree the RAM gets crowded, chances are that any place we choose that doesn't have similar problems will be A) too expensive or B) too far off the beaten path.

Ideally, it would be a place that serves entrees averaging no more than $10-$15, with a decent drink selection.

Maybe one of the hotel restaurants would fit the bill?

BTW, I'm all aboard for a scheduled GH event (ie, listed in the GenCon program) in the convention center, but I also enjoy being able to unwind w/ fellow 'hawkers over food & libations.
    Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:34 pm  

There was a bar in the first floor lobby of the Hyatt that I stayed in this year. It never seemed busy at all. I'm not sure about the food or booze selection situation there though. I also went to the Colts bar & grille nearby. Great menu. Sports atmosphere, maybe lighter on the gamer crowd? Dunno.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:01 pm  

Had a GREAT time at the Ram!! I do think we should move our drink and meet. I vote for Mort to find us a new watering hole.

And I am game for running a Greyhawk adventure at the con (I have a WOW idea for a adventure). We had talked about running something at the Ram and I'm up for the challenge. Would love for Mort to do some art/players handouts Smile wink wink! If anyone is willing to help out, just send me a PM.

I could run a 1st and a 3.5. I have not played Pathfinder yet, but with the rule system hotter than a baked tatter, I guess I could pick up the core rules.
    Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:09 am  

I could do character profiles, sure. Anything more than that would be spoilers wouldn't it?
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: