Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Gladiators in Great Kingdom?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Gladiators in Great Kingdom?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:18 pm  
    Gladiators in Great Kingdom?

I have two players interested in rolling gladiators, and I must admit I kind of liked the idea. I can see a few background type adventures in the ring so to speak before they escape or earn their freedom and become typical greyhawk wandering treasure seekers. I want to avoid the "enslaved as a youth by orcs" scenario so I can work a few hinderances in later on (fame has a price). I'm thinking the Great Kingdom would be a suitable place to start em out. I can see slaves slaughtering each other in arenas in the decaying empire but am wondering if the canon supports this? I found mention of an old collesium in the south near Onnwal, and I'm aware of the fights in Kester, but in Great Kingdom nothing. So what do you folks think?

-GreyMaus
    GreySage

Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:42 pm  

I think you have a good idea there, GreyMaus. Have you looked in Ivid, the Undying for gladiatorial references? I can't recall any offhand, but there may be some.

SirXaris

Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:02 pm  

Yeah, gladiator arenas are common in Aerdi cities, which is why Greyhawk has one.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:16 pm  

It wasn't just the Aerdi. Istivin has a circus also (Istivin: City of Shadows, DNG #117), that used to host bloodsport, before giving way to more civilized competitions. That was before a resurgence of gladiatorial games in the 790s.
    Forum Moderator

Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:59 pm  
    Re: Gladiators in Great Kingdom?

GreyMaus wrote:
    and I'm aware of the fights in Kester

Yes! Smile

Wiki the hero-god Nazarn for further inspiration. I think this half-orc is Suel based but there's no telling how common his worship is by now.
    GreySage

Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:47 am  

The Bandit Lands and Wild Coast also come to mind. Bloodsports would be common in those lands, to be sure...

-Lanthorn
    Master Greytalker

Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:21 am  

I put Gladiators in the Pomarj as well. I called them The Pits, and the Gladiators were called Pit-Fighters. My Turrosh Mak started his career there.
    GreySage

Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:07 am  

There is a humanoid kit in the Complete Book of Humanoids (2e guide) called the Pitfighter that would fit neatly with your idea.

-Lanthorn
    Master Greytalker

Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:39 pm  

I seem to recall a gladiatorial arena in Kalstrand with a gray olven champion. It might have been from Living Greyhawk, because it's not mentioned in Ivid.
    GreySage

Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:06 pm  

DMPrata wrote:
    I seem to recall a gladiatorial arena in Kalstrand with a gray olven champion. It might have been from Living Greyhawk, because it's not mentioned in Ivid.

The article on Kalstrand in Oerth Journal #17 describes a gladiatorial arena called, simply, the Arena.

Oerth Journal #17 wrote:
    The populace of Kalstrand regularly whets its appetite for bloodsports at the Arena. Games are held at this towering edifice weekly on Freeday and every day of the four festival weeks. A variety of spectacles are provided for the paying public - from the highly ritualised ballet of the bullfight to the no-holds-barred slaughter of the slave gladiators.

Oddly, the (4th edition, digital-only) Dragon Magazine #368 also mentions gladiators in Kalstrand in an article by Robert J. Schwalb called "Fight! Battles in the Gladiatorial Arena." This fighting space is called the Pedestal.

Dragon #368 wrote:
    Destaed Irongrip learned to fight in the pits of Sulward during the ten long years of his enslavement. When he escaped to Sunndi, he realized he had no way to provide for himself. He had no trade and no skills. So, he turned to what he did know and arranged a ring of stones on the edge of Pitchfield, his new home, and bet young toughs to take him on.

After a few years, Destaed picked up and moved north to Kalstrand. He had a raised platform built with the gold he earned in Sunndi and called the fighting ring the Pedestal. There, he and other fighters, would climb up the ropes and fight for gold, silver, or whatever else was for the taking. The Pedestal is fast becoming famous in Ahlissa, and people from all over the countryside come to seek fortune and fame in this bloodstained ring.

The Pedestal stands 15 feet above the street. A fall from the pedestal deals 1d10 damage upon landing.

Oerth Journal #18 mentions a secret arena beneath Zelradton.

Oerth Journal #18 wrote:
    Extensive dungeons and holding cells beneath the main building have held thousands of unfortunates who have awaited their fate in squalid and overcrowded conditions. Persistent rumours place a secret arena below these dungeons in which criminals, prisoners of war and slaves are forced to fight to the death on days holy to the Champion of Evil’s followers.
    Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:03 pm  

I believe Gary Holian's Spinecastle article has a gladiatorial arena as well.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:06 pm  

I love it. Thanks for the confirmation. I read through the pit fighter Lanthorn, I had forgotten about that one, and will offer that along with the warrior kit gladiator. Didn't find anything in Ivid on the subject but it just seemed to fit in that society. They will probably be rolling up their guys this weekend so I appreciate all the feedback.
    I'm thinking after they both get a few fights under their belt as a team it would be fun to pit them against each other -the winner gets his freedom the looser, well he gets a different sort of freedom I suppose, hehe. Evil Grin Woah reading Ivid again kinda twisted up my devilish side! We'll see what comes of it. If anyone has any other wicked ideas feel free to offer em up.

-GreyMaus
    GreySage

Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:38 pm  

If you can, set the mood by playing "The Gladiator" soundtrack in the background... Cool

-Lanthorn
    Master Greytalker

Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:48 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    DMPrata wrote:

The article on Kalstrand in Oerth Journal #17 describes a gladiatorial arena called, simply, the Arena.

Oerth Journal #17 wrote:
    The populace of Kalstrand regularly whets its appetite for bloodsports at the Arena. Games are held at this towering edifice weekly on Freeday and every day of the four festival weeks. A variety of spectacles are provided for the paying public - from the highly ritualised ballet of the bullfight to the no-holds-barred slaughter of the slave gladiators.
    Yup, Paul Looby's OJ #17 article is what I was thinking of, with Ilurien Arvalyris the gray olven duelist. Thanks.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:04 am  

smillan_31 wrote:
    It wasn't just the Aerdi. Istivin has a circus also (Istivin: City of Shadows, DNG #117), that used to host bloodsport, before giving way to more civilized competitions. That was before a resurgence of gladiatorial games in the 790s.

And how is now, by time of 591 CY? Cause it could be real interesting motive. Even if legal games don'e make in circus, maybe local "low nobility" ( being often ex-criminals themselves ) could make illegal gladiator games... Evil Grin
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: