JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - clerics and priests
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    clerics and priests
    Master Greytalker

Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:54 am  
    clerics and priests

Hey, just wondered what you guys think of the abilities of clerics and priests to overcome some of the campaign issues like thirst, hunger, cold, heat, disease, insanity, etc. There are a myriad issues which just seem to go away when the party has a couple of these characters, especially at higher levels (say anytime after about 7th or so).

I always liked some of these issues/effects, but now all they seem to be good for are to force them to use up some spells. It's a bit frustrating, but there doesn't seem to be much I can do about it. Any ideas?
    GreySage

Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:19 pm  

Ragnar,

I can well understand your perspective, and it is true that these conditions become less of a worry for parties where there are several priests at hand who have healing, necromantic, elemental, weather, and protective spherical access.

I try not to get too much into a 'gotcha' or TPK attitude unless the player(s) are just asking for it because of idiotic actions. Even if the clerics have access to these spells, they must still have the requisite rest/sleep to call upon these divine abilities. Furthermore, if the party is quite large, this can be quite a drain on a cleric (or two...). They then get into a quandary as to what they wish to focus on with their powers...protection from the elements, thirst/hunger, fatigue, etc. or use their divine powers for other uses.

One of the benefits of having clerics is their access to the powers you mentioned above, whereas mages have a truly devastating arsenal of magic for combat and other uses. It's a balance of power, as I see it, so I don't try to find arbitrary ways to weaken party magical strength beyond what I consider appropriate and just (components, rest/sleep, food/water/shelter, etc.).

What I have found is that when party clerics are busy casting spells of protection against the ravages you mentioned above, it always balances itself out in the end.

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:55 pm  

So many poo poo the cleric/priest, and yet here is another example that clerics are a little bit more than just cure wound batteries. Wizards are usually spell arsenals, but clerics use spells that affect things in a more broad sense. Wizards can do that too, mainly in a combat sense, but they usually are no relied upon to do such...subtle things. That this is an area where clerics can make a big difference is not an issue at all.

Also, if the cleric is casting spells to counteract food deprivation and harsh weather, well, that means they will be casting a lot less of those other spells that the party counts on them for. You won't see too many low-level parties plunging into the worst of environs on adventures if they don't have a cleric.

Create food & water is very useful, and even a low level cleric is capable of providing for the entire party with this spell. Dealing with bad weather is another thing altogether, as the spells that counteract such things usually don't have long durations and affect multiple individuals (it is usually one or the other). That means it takes a lot of those spells to protect the entire party; so many in fact that there is not much room left for anything else. That magic just handles traveling time too. How about down time? That is where a wizard's Leomund's Secure Shelter comes in much, much more handy, as it can do what most of those other spells can't, and for much longer (i.e. provide shelter and protection form the elements). The only downside is that the PCs can't go anywhere. Oh, and leave it to Mordenkainen to one-up Leomund with his magnificent mansion. Laughing

So, don't put it all on clerics/priests. Wizards can help out with these things too. At mid-to high-levels (7th+), PCs shouldn't really be worrying too much about food and inclement weather unless they are taking very long journeys through such conditions and haven't prepared appropriately for it.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: