JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Proficiencies
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Proficiencies
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:45 pm  
    Proficiencies

This could be a broader topic, but I'm specifically looking for the name of the farming or agriculture proficiency in the AD&D2 Druid's Handbook (which I owned, but long since sold).

How many farming or stock-raising proficiencies does AD&D2 have? Just the one?

My memory doesn't seem to be as good as I thought it would be. Confused
    GreySage

Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:55 pm  

I love the Druid's handbook and consider it one of the best supplementary guides in my trove.

I just perused it and see no mention of any listing or section on proficiencies (beyond those mentioned for kits), just druid branches and kits, new spells, personality types, new magic items, etc.

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:00 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    ...I just perused it and see no mention of any listing or section on proficiencies (beyond those mentioned for kits), just druid branches and kits, new spells, personality types, new magic items, etc.

...that's weird. I'm certain there's a rule. I even used it as a general template to create a D&D 3.5 Profession (Farmer) skill. The way it worked was you rolled a d20, used a bunch of modifers, calculated how many people were working the farm, and it told you how much you produced in gp.

Hmmpf.
    GreySage

Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:31 pm  

I'll look again tonight and get back to you...

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:43 pm  

The proficiency is simply called Agriculture, and is a general nonweapon proficiency from the 2E Player's Handbook. Anything more complex than basic agricultural skills would be covered by Animal Handling, Animal Lore, Animal Training, Riding: land-based (seriously, whoever split the hairs of these topics into twice as many proficiencies as they should be is of questionable judgment, considering how few proficiency slots characters have available to spend), or Herbalism.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:20 am  

It does get a bit overwhelming when you have to budget only a few slots for your characters. Even if one uses the Options system with CPs, as I do (which often gives you more slots to fill for skills), it can be overwhelming and frustrating. Perusing other books with more and more proficiencies can make it even more aggravating at times. I have allowed older characters to receive extra CPs for skills, about 3 points per 10 yrs over the base for adulthood (21 for humans). For dwarves and elves, this can really add up!

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:25 am  

Lanthorn wrote:
    It does get a bit overwhelming when you have to budget only a few slots for your characters...

-That's one of the reasons I like D&D 3.5. Ahem. Laughing
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:56 pm  

^ That. Laughing Whatever their flaws, I still like 1E and 2E though. They are what I grew up on, and the idiosyncrasies of both systems are responsible for many a memory. Cool

Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:07 am  

jamesdglick wrote:
    Lanthorn wrote:
    It does get a bit overwhelming when you have to budget only a few slots for your characters...

-That's one of the reasons I like D&D 3.5. Ahem. Laughing

Now that's funny... Happy Cool
    And Ditto Big C... though I have yet to convert my Hairling Adventurers.. I remain quagmired in 3xxx
    GreySage

Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:30 am  

Diehard 2e fan here, as you all know by now. I fall back on some 1e things, though. Do I sense a (non-edition war!) post stirring...???

As always, gents, thank you for all your input, regardless of the edition you prefer. A multiplicity of views is more valuable than one in any case.

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:43 pm  

Cebrion wrote:
    ^ That. Laughing Whatever their flaws, I still like 1E and 2E though. They are what I grew up on, and the idiosyncrasies of both systems are responsible for many a memory. Cool

-Started (briefly) with the blue book and the tan books, but me too, but that's independent of the rule edition.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:03 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    It does get a bit overwhelming when you have to budget only a few slots for your characters. Even if one uses the Options system with CPs, as I do (which often gives you more slots to fill for skills), it can be overwhelming and frustrating. Perusing other books with more and more proficiencies can make it even more aggravating at times. I have allowed older characters to receive extra CPs for skills, about 3 points per 10 yrs over the base for adulthood (21 for humans). For dwarves and elves, this can really add up!

-Lanthorn

This is why I made my expanded proficiencies house rule. I'll copy it from my game site:

New Proficiency System:

This is the new system for proficiencies. It is an amalgam of the original proficiency system, the Skills & Powers point system, and the 3rd ed system. Here’s how it’s going to work.

At creation a character gets the specified number of proficiencies, both weapon and non-weapon, according to their class. This is shown on Table 34 of the PH (and reprinted below). These proficiency slots may NOT be interchanged, unless their class or kit expressly demands such. Starting characters also get a bonus number of proficiencies based upon their INT, according to table 44 of S&P. Languages other than their native tongues cost 1 proficiency, and players can learn a maximum number of languages according to their INT (as usual). For multi-classed characters, they gain starting proficiencies for BOTH classes. Further, starting elves gain an additional proficiency for every 10 years old beyond 100 at creation. Finally, particular classes and kits may give bonus proficiencies; these do NOT count towards a characters starting number of proficiencies.

Acquiring new proficiency slots will now occur EVERY time a character gains a level. Characters will gain 1 new proficiency slot every level, plus additional slots according to their Ability modifier on table 44, based on their prime requisite stat(s) for that class. For multi-classed characters these points must be spent according to the restrictions of the class which just gained a level. I.E., when a warrior/mage with 18 STR reaches 2nd level warrior (which should occur 500 exp sooner) he gains 5 new proficiency slots, 1 for the level +4 for his STR. These can ONLY be spent as a warrior, so if the player wished to increase Spellcraft anyway, it would cost double (2 slots) as that’s not a warrior skill.

This system should greatly expand our proficiency system, making it much more versatile. I added up the proficiencies in the PH alone, and there were over 80. When you add the dozen or so proficiencies in every guide handbook, we end up with easily over 150 proficiencies. In the old system, a 10th level Rogue with average INT would only have 9 total proficiencies, while a 20th level wizard with 18 INT would have had 18. NOW that number should improve a bit.

Using proficiencies will be slightly different, and more in line with 3rd ed. Your actual chance of success will be known only to me, as I will choose the Difficulty Class (DC). However, for basic uses, success will be on a 10. Add to that the starting modifiers listed under the proficiencies, as well as your bonus (based also on table 44) and finally your ranks in the proficiency. Basically, this is not going to change a lot of skills, for which I simply allow you to use them. Really, a carpenter doesn’t need to roll to succeed when he attempts to build a stair; he just does it! However, when you attempt to tumble in combat through the ogre’s legs, avoiding the attack of opportunity and coming up behind him, you will need to succeed. I really already do this, so it’s not much of a change. What I expect to do with this is two-fold. First, I want to provide you guys with more skills. Second, I want to make their use a bit more systematic. I think this will do both.

Finally, I’m going to add some skills which will become VERY useful in this somewhat expanded proficiency system. This list (and descriptions) will follow in separate posts.

Table 34:
    Starting Proficiency Slots

Group Wpn/N-wpn
    Warrior 4/3
    Wizard 1/4
    Priest 2/4
    Rogue 2/3

Table 44:
    Ability Modifiers to Proficiency Scores
    Ability/ Proficiency
    Subability Modifier
    3 –5
    4 –4
    5 –3
    6 –2
    7 –1
    8–14 0
    15 +1
    16 +2
    17 +3
    18 +4
    19+ +5
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: