JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - [Queen of Spiders] Yochlol's intrigue
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    [Queen of Spiders] Yochlol's intrigue
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:02 am  
    [Queen of Spiders] Yochlol's intrigue

So as many know by now I run my Istivin game in 591 CY and want to send my PCs in to past, to year 576/580CY ( still can't decide on this Confused ) to run them "Queen of Spiders" supermodule. The thing is I need something rather powerfull to convinse Verbane, Chief Wizard of March to plot against the Marchioness Emondav. Looking for stuff I saw that Lolth like to send her's "handmaidens" for special missions and thought "Yeah, I got my boss villian and great plotter for this one". Evil Grin So I come to idea that Lolth send one of her Yochlols as agent on Marchioness court and now she want's her to push Verbane to overthrow Resbin.

But it's all just folly for her true objective - getting thing left by the Demonweb on Lolths invasion years before. All the tumoil and treachery are just smoak so Yochlol's could get her fingers on object that connects to original Demonweb hemisphere - and PC are trully to stop her, but activating object unwittingly and BAM, they are in "Queen of Spiders" times. Cool

What I need are this:

1. Whom the Yochlol could pretend to be? I think about "sudden" fiancee
    of my non-canon Traian, son of Quarchard and Resbin. Or maybe at least some "baroness" that want to close her realtion with "prince". But I'm open on othr ideas in this matter - so what do you think of it?

2. What kind of object would be left and connected with Demonweb? It truly would be at least minor Artifact, but don't have any idea on what it should be.

3. WHERE would the object be? In Verbane lock? Under the Keolant Keep catacombs? What would be appropiate for this?

Any thoughts are welcolme! Wink
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:13 pm  

Last edited by BlueWitch on Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:31 am  

BlueWitch wrote:
    Unless you already have it established in your timeline that the events of Queen of Spiders has already happened, the time travel would not be necessary. Avoid the added complication if possible.

Problem is I run for last half of year with assumption that cannon is true. Hell, on of PCs was send to Caves of Chaos by Istivin's Mage Guild to look for scroll about Lolth, witch should help solve the mystery of black hemisphere from decades. I can move events few years in past or too future, but Black Hemisphere on Istivin and Galmorrs Invasion are most important events in campaign story line. If you want help me clean this mess, here is good topic about timeline problems I have Contribute there if you can. Cool

BlueWitch wrote:
    As a backstory, it's possible that years ago, it was figured the baroness/yochlol would eventually marry this prince Traian of yours. So, at that time, Lolth had the yochlol replace the girl as I described above. Over the years, she effectively "grew up" with the prince, so she knows him fairly well, thus making him easier to control if needed.

I like this very much, thank you. Only need now good Baron House of Sterich to place this "princess", and good name for her. Evil Grin

BlueWitch wrote:
    As for why the yochlol would be patient like this: She was ordered by her queen, and maybe she was promised she'd get to kill the prince and devour his soul when the job is done.

I was thinking about other motive - yochlol was left to look after Demonwebto spread. She have been tasked to sustain it for all this years ago and partially, yochlol is responsible why the Istivin is such grimm place after dark. But thing is this - she was given Traian's fiancée persona as cover for her actions and means to get in to Krelont Keep. Twist is - it's become very inconvenient with each passing year. Traian is 23 years now, and should be finally married - that means being stuck in this "body" for yochlol for ever! And so, she betray not only the whole court and country, but duty putted on her by Lolth, and return to Demonweb. She hasn'r returned all this years before being afraid of Lolth's wrath for not conquering the Sterich by Demonweb, but she now has no choice. And so she weaves intruge to finally get her hands on Demonweb Key and left to Abyss.Evil Grin

BlueWitch wrote:
    I'm having a hard time thinking of what the actual object should be too. I seem to be attracted to the idea of a sculpture, or maybe some other form of art. Being a Lolth created item, it would definitely need some kind of arachnid theme to it. However, it could be subtle, so people might not ever see it that way.

As to the look of item here is description from Hordes of Abyss for 3.5 ed.

Hordes of Abyss wrote:
    Within the Demonweb, teleportation is utterly impossible, blocked by Lolth’s divine will. Certain of her most favored agents retain specially cursed geometric sculptures that allow instant travel to and from specific locations in the Demonweb. Common keys, in order of rarity and value, include iron pyramids, silver spheres, eight-pointed bronze stars, and pale blue crystal cubes.

So I think about eight-pointed bronze star, as it has somehow not obvious arachnid theme in it. Evil Grin

BlueWitch wrote:
    As for where this item might be "now" (in game), you mentioned Lolth attempting an invasion years earlier. If it was found by good folk, they may have taken it to a temple where it was kept in a secure location, to keep it from falling back into the wrong hands.

I very like temple idea, esspecially, as this is good reason to make this whole intruge - demoness can't enter holy site herself, and all the guards and witness make open robery almost imposibble. So she need to use Verbane in this, and manipulate his desires in to this ( as he is CN character, so he reacts to his impulses more ).

There are 7 temples in Istivin: Pelor, Zlichus, Mayaheine, Ailitur, Fharlangan, Heironeus and Ulaa. Assuming that Demonweb Key is not obvoius in it's nature to mose people, only having some connection to Abyss, were it would be putted?
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: