JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Adding new PC to the game
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Adding new PC to the game
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:24 am  
    Adding new PC to the game

Notice: I want this topic to be general place to go to for help with wierd team connection. Feel free to add yours problems, we could help each other. Cool

Here is mine - I've got new playeress. She will be playing Half-elf Druid Guide, and generally is specialaizing on Wild Shape abilities. I want to add her to our campaign that is now in Istivin, Sterich March capitol. PCs party has just saved Marchioness Emondav and her son life after Scarlet Brotherhood's assasins attempted to kill them. PCs and them are now barricaded in Temple of Heironius, waiting for aid from city watch. How to add Half-elf Druid Guide in this situation?

I have also alternative route - ask playeress to wait one more session, as after solving plot in Istivin, I want to start with players "Queen of Spiders" supermodule, and then guide for local Crystalmist Mountains would be logical addition to the party. Problem with this solution is that players indicated me that they want to make couple of subplots in City of Shadows, so it's not sure that they will end Istivin plotline in only one session, and new playeress would then wait more time. rolleyes
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:41 am  

A couple of thoughts:

The Druid Guide leads the watch patrol that comes to the rescue despite her normal duties being leading patrols out into the hinterlands beyond Istivin. She was the only commander on hand when the watch was summoned.

If you want to throw a bigger twist into the mix why not have her spying on the Temple of Heironeous in animal form. Why is she spying? What was she there to find out? How do her order view the Temple of Heironeous (presumably they don't trust them at least if the druid is spying on them)? All good plot hooks for future adventures.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:23 pm  

Just wanted to give the thumbs-up to Flint's spying in animal form idea, although maybe instead of having been spying on the temple, she is working for a druid order that is trying to protect the heir for some reason of their own, yet to be determined. She's been following him and couldn't reveal herself in time, or didn't need to for the previous attack. Since the new group of attackers is a bigger threat, she takes this moment to reveal herself and help out. She could be in bird form up high near the temple's ceiling, and when the superior force of assassins breaks through the barricade, comes gliding down to help out the party.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:26 pm  

Flint. thanks for ideas! As to show full picture the druidess is from Ashmeet circle from Hornwood, but she left when she was (sort of ) accused of murdering someone she didn't killed. It was some years before, so she could done a lot of stuff in meantime, but she is rather "free druid" now, more mountain guide than typical pristess of nature.

Flint wrote:
    If you want to throw a bigger twist into the mix why not have her spying on the Temple of Heironeous in animal form. Why is she spying? What was she there to find out? How do her order view the Temple of Heironeous (presumably they don't trust them at least if the druid is spying on them)? All good plot hooks for future adventures.

In the temple there is locked Key to Demonweb of Lolth, hidden her 16 years before, on end of Lolth invasion on Istivin. Plot was that Marchioness Emondav son's fiancee is in truth demon (a Yochlol) that want to get the Key, so she use her husbend-to-be as to get inside the temple ( she can't enter, she is demon after all ) and take for her Demonweb Key. Maybe druidess could be looking in to this Key also, but why? Why pristess of nature would be interested in Lolths Demonweb? And how half-elf could know about black hemisphere from almost 20 years before if she was rased in nearby kingdom?

Because I don't see her as going after court intriuge in way "oh, the soon to be queen is so wierd, maybe she is a demon". Rather "I need to do thing with this Demonweb Key" thing.

smillan_31 wrote:
    Just wanted to give the thumbs-up to Flint's spying in animal form idea, although maybe instead of having been spying on the temple, she is working for a druid order that is trying to protect the heir for some reason of their own, yet to be determined. She's been following him and couldn't reveal herself in time, or didn't need to for the previous attack. Since the new group of attackers is a bigger threat, she takes this moment to reveal herself and help out. She could be in bird form up high near the temple's ceiling, and when the superior force of assassins breaks through the barricade, comes gliding down to help out the party.

Oh, this is also good one, but she is unofficially expeled from Ashmeet order, so she would joined next one in nearby kingdom ( or March )? Order could protect House of Qualtaine itself, with Quaechard "missing", Marchioness and espesially her son are only hope for order. But why would priests of nature protect noble house? It's a bit counter intuitve, don't you think?

Flint wrote:
    The Druid Guide leads the watch patrol that comes to the rescue despite her normal duties being leading patrols out into the hinterlands beyond Istivin. She was the only commander on hand when the watch was summoned.

Will leave this idea as plan B, as I think it has some inconsistnacies with playeress character.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:45 pm  

Last edited by BlueWitch on Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:45 pm  

Last edited by BlueWitch on Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:50 pm  

Last edited by BlueWitch on Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:00 pm  

BlueWitch wrote:
    My thought on the players who want to bog things down in Istvin, perhaps this druidess has knowledge the dark elves are preparing to move soon, so there's no time to waste screwing around in town. Either they act now, or never.

Even when I want to send PCs in back in time for the "Queen of Spiders", I very like this idea of "short fuse". Drows marching on Istivin is always a good thing. Evil Grin

As for the druidess being falsely accused of murder, her deity may have steered events to make her look guilty, because it was needed at the time. It was the prod to get her into the mountains where she was able to learn the drow were planning to move sooner than expected.

BlueWitch wrote:
    So, now she knows the good people of the surface world have no time to waste, and must act now. So she is subtly guided (either through visions given during prayers, or in ways she is not even aware of) to the PC group, and now has to persuade them of the urgency of her mission.

I like this very much - for me it's more to the "Demonweb Key" alternative, as I could grant her a visions of the thing locked in temple, on altar, and some great evil after this, very "Peter Jackson Tolkien-like". Wink

Question is if Ehlonna or Beory be interested in stoping Drows and Lolth from her intruge? I see first one as more interested in this, but don't Beory are Mother of (All) Oerth and just don't want to see her children died ( whole Istivin )and entagled in Demonweb of Lolth ( degeneration of nature )?

BlueWitch wrote:
    Neutral deities like "balance", so as she makes progress toward completing the mission, she will find bits of evidence that she can use later to prove her innocence and bring the real culprit to justice, thus balancing out the being falsely accused.

Very cool and instersting idea - surly will use it in my game!
    Cool
    GreySage

Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:51 pm  

Adding to what BlueWitch, Smillan, and Flint began:

The unaffiliated druidess was forced to flee into the mountains to escape the consequences of an unjust accusation. Within that wilderness, she discovers that drow are real and are instigating the giant attacks into Sterich and Geoff. She hies herself to the capitol and brings her information directly to the one group she expects to be the first to act against such an evil force - the church of Heironeous.

Unfortunately, her warning of the machinations of the mythical drow are taken with a grain of salt and she is kept at arms length while the superior priests do a background check on her. As part of their magical and mundane research, they contact her old colleagues in the Ashmeet and discover that she is wanted for murder. At that point, she is arrested and imprisoned within the dungeons below the church, her warning of evil, underground elves laughed off by those she hoped to spur to action.

The PCs may discover her imprisoned below the church where she will have a chance to convince them of her truthfulness.

SirXaris

Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:08 pm  

Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:08 pm  

Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:44 am  

BlueWitch wrote:

-?????????????????? Confused
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: