JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Greyhawk Trading Cards
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Greyhawk Trading Cards
    Forum Moderator

Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:27 pm  
    Greyhawk Trading Cards

Who used to collect these rare pieces of Greyhawk lore from the 90's? I decided to spotlight a few of MANY cards from this era.

http://greyhawkery.blogspot.com/2013/11/random-greyhawk-trading-cards.html
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:36 am  

Man, what is the deal with evil gnomes? They're everywhere!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:27 pm  

Last edited by BlueWitch on Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:22 am  
    Re: Greyhawk Trading Cards

mortellan wrote:
    Who used to collect these rare pieces of Greyhawk lore from the 90's? I decided to spotlight a few of MANY cards from this era.

http://greyhawkery.blogspot.com/2013/11/random-greyhawk-trading-cards.html

I've got a complete boxed D&D Trading Card set from 1993. Never really worked out what I'd use them for but every now and again I get them out and look at them Smile
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:30 am  

One of my players (and a long time friend) gifted me with his collection of these cards (a three-inch-thick binder containing a nearly complete set of everything) for additions to our game. They are loaded with little tidbits. For example:

* I was able to find the heraldry for a Perrenland noble house from one of the cards.

* One of the NPC's in my upcoming QMG2 adventure is the ranger Twissa the Bent.

I've always viewed these cards as nice additions to Greyhawk (especially the NPC's, which are useful on the fly in a gaming session).

Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:57 pm  

Braggi wrote:

Hey, how did this slip beneath my radar---tell us more, Braggi :D

Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:13 pm  

According to this, someone just gave a bunch of these away: http://www.listia.com/auction/986332-lot-of-6-1993-tsr-d-d-trading-cards
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:01 am  

grodog wrote:
    Braggi wrote:

Hey, how did this slip beneath my radar---tell us more, Braggi :D

Uh, minor thread hijack here. (Braggi gets long-winded, yet again. rolleyes )

Well, I've had the module under construction for a while. It's an overland trek starting in Veluna and ending with PC's in Wolf Nomad territory in search of Murq's current digs. They pass through Crockport (and optionally an early version of Gerrenkzerung) on the way.

Twissa the bent is the party's guide for the first leg of the journey, from Veluna City, into the southern reaches of the Vesve and then north into Crockport. There she takes her leave and the PC's have a long trek through the rest of the Vesve ahead.

The main thing holding this adventure up is that I really dug in and detailed the pre-Wars city of Crockport with NPC's, full maps (based on Yabusama's excellent work, with his permission) and adventure seeds. (There might be enough info already to make a mini-gazetteer for the city, actually.) I burned out after getting the city completed and switched to getting the Adventurer's Atlas online as a change of pace. I'm just getting ready to put in another major writing session on it now, though.

(Thanks for the patience of the other thread readers and posters. I'm done with the semi-off-topic spew now.)

Anyways, to return to the original post theme - using Twissa's base stats from the collector's card and developing her further to suit the adventure saved me a lot of design and writing time. The cards are loaded with NPC's and the artwork is quite good on most of them too. I also redid the heraldry from Card #64 (Kramer Haldus) and added it to Perrenland on the political master map of the atlas. I know there are a few other references to some of the cards scattered around in other atlas entries as well.

Don't take my word for it though - look over Mort's blog post for examples. There is probably a ton of additional pre- and post-Greyhawk Wars tidbits waiting to be discovered. Aside from NPCs, as Mort illustrates, there are magical items and all sorts of other lore scattered throughout the Greyhawk cards. In fact, they cover all the TSR realms available in the mid- to late 1980's. I could see Dark Sun, Spelljammer, Ravenloft, Toril and Krynn aficionados all having a field day with these cards too, not to mention the generic items and NPCs adaptable to any game world.

A bit of a treasure trove, no?

Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:59 am  

I have the complete collection of cards and extras. Some of the artwork was great. However, I used them as quick reference cards for npc's and even character pics. The information on the back is just another bonus.

Later

Argon
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: