JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Winter Things of Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Winter Things of Greyhawk
    Forum Moderator

Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:38 pm  
    Winter Things of Greyhawk

It's a new year and my mind turns to the cold for some reason...
    http://greyhawkery.blogspot.com/2014/01/fireseek-winter-things-of-greyhawk.html
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:54 pm  

Yeah, I always wondered about the Thrym thing also. Ymir was the obvious choice, although I guess technically it's probably because he's dead.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:54 am  

I played it a little different for Giants IMC. They do not worship gods. Instead they follow a ancestry worship. The Aesir are giants of any sub species of giant that have been elevated to the level of Aesir. The ordaining lists the ranks of giants among their own kind. Titan's above Storm giants, Storm giants above Cloud giant's, etc. Now should a Cloud giant become an Aesir, he is now above any non-Aesir in the ordaining.

Only the Aesir can elevate a giant to the level of Aesir. So while hill giants might consider a gluttonous hill giant to be worthy of becoming an Aesir. Only a council of Aesir's can grant said hill giant that title.

Using that reasoning Ymir would still be an Aesir and Thrym could of been given the rank of Aesir. Though I also use rune and blood magic IMC. Still need to finish my rune articles. Then I can start on blood magic.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:56 pm  

Stikes me funny, as the Aesir are actually Gods and not Giants. Confused

The Aesir were (basically) the Gods of the Air and the Vanir were (basically) the Gods of the Earth. Wink

Ymir, on the other hand, is specifically a Giant. Cool

Both the Aesir and Vanir of "Conan" fame worshiped Ymir. I think he's a much better choice than Thrym as well. Happy

Heck, I'd even settle for Crom! Evil Grin

Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:39 am  

Mystic,

I understand the Aesir were gods in mythology. I merely changed it for giants in my campaign. Much like Linnorm are dragons. However, IMC Linnorm's are what today's dragons descended from. The Linnorm were much more powerful then dragon's are today.

That's just my take. Have it your way in your campaigns.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:37 am  

Argon wrote:
    I understand the Aesir were gods in mythology. I merely changed it for giants in my campaign.

I don't have a problem with that. Why would I? Robert Howard made the Aesir and Vanir men in the world of Conan. Laughing

Argon wrote:
    The Aesir are giants of any sub species of giant that have been elevated to the level of Aesir.

If a giant is "elevated to the level of Aesir," then what, exactly, is an "Aesir" and who "elevated" the first one?

See? "Funny!" Razz Laughing

Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:25 am  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    Argon wrote:
    I understand the Aesir were gods in mythology. I merely changed it for giants in my campaign.

I don't have a problem with that. Why would I? Robert Howard made the Aesir and Vanir men in the world of Conan. Laughing

Argon wrote:
    The Aesir are giants of any sub species of giant that have been elevated to the level of Aesir.

If a giant is "elevated to the level of Aesir," then what, exactly, is an "Aesir" and who "elevated" the first one?

See? "Funny!" Razz Laughing

Now that is the question?
    Paladin

Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:54 am  

Argon wrote:
    Now that is the question?

He / She through strength of will and skill elevated themselves in defiance of the gods.... Mawwahhhaahhaahh
    Seriously, I can see this in connection with the dawn of the Elders & Primordial & maybe even the old faith, by predating the gods and their collective ascensions.
    or as Greyhawk Grognard posted on Morts site
    Quote:
    Joseph Bloch said...
    It could also be argued that in Norse mythology the kings of the Jotens *are* as like unto Gods.
    Maybe the Jotens are Primordials??? hehehe

ANd BTW... I like this idea Argon.... concider it canabalized..... Laughing Wink
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:15 pm  

DLG,

I'm honored to have my idea cannibalized. As long as I'm not cannibalized as well. Shocked

Later

Argon
    Paladin

Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:20 am  

Argon wrote:
    DLG,

I'm honored to have my idea cannibalized. As long as I'm not cannibalized as well. Shocked

Ive given up on eating barbarians, Argon... to tough and gamey for my tastes....... Mahaahhaahahhh

I used ancestry worship in Perrenland for the family structures, the thought of expanding it into the Giants Belief structure hadn't occured to me... and seems to add to their "lifestyle".

I have always been vocally opposed to the WOC method of "God Pile On" and have sought out other options.....
      1>Combining Deities by having many assumed names (ie Ehlonna is known to the elves as "Ehlenestra." )
      2>Consolidating their oversight.

So this idea of yours goes right down that same road of diversity.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:01 am  

DLG,

I have gone the route that gods of other races may very well be the same deity. I have made Lendor and Istus the same god. The Baklunish worship the god as a female of fate. While the Suel worship the god as a Male of Time. Time and Fate work well hand in hand just different views of the same god. Corellon and Pelor can be one and the same. So much so that elves may even believe humans worship Corellon by a human name of Pelor. It gets easy when you think about portfolios and not alignment and gender.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:21 am  

For what it's worth, Hackmaster uses Bergelmir as god of the frost giants.

Technically Thrym is as dead as Ymir is if you assume his story has already happened, but his existence presents fewer cosmological problems and more story possibilities than Ymir's existence would. If Ymir isn't dead, does the world exist? What do the Northmen believe it's made of? Thrym has an interesting story starring him and concrete desires that could result in new stories. Meanwhile, Ymir's main goal would probably be to return the world to its primal state, which his descendants want anyway. Ymir could be useful as a terrifying cosmic threat that even the gods fear, but Greyhawk already has Tharizdun, the Elder Elemental God, and others, and such a thing makes more sense in a divine-level campaign or something like Marvel Comics where the gods are protagonists. Thrym himself took multiple gods to defeat. I mean, technically Loki is a giant, but like Loki, Thrym is equal to a god in power.
    GreySage

Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:51 pm  

Norse Giants = Greek Titans. Cool
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: