Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Black as midnight, black as pitch, blacker than....
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Black as midnight, black as pitch, blacker than....
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:08 am  
    Black as midnight, black as pitch, blacker than....

Oerth is home to some of the darkest places imaginable and can be a way station for life (or unlife) on its journey to even darker places. One of the scariest modules for me was Queen of the Demonweb Pits (Ravenloft was a real close second). Being on another plane where your goodly deity has no power or sway and effectively cutting off your magical potential is a stunning reality for characters. Truly it was a dark module, yet enjoyable. Looking at WoG, if you were suddenly transformed into a character, which "adventure" would you fear to embark upon and why?

Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:12 pm  

Ran some characters through Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun. Just getting into the place was rough on the group let alone the lower levels. In this campaign the object of their quest was just to clear out the threat to the gnomes. They did not dive into the lower levels and discover the temple. Reading the module in preparation though brings me to my answer. Scary as hell kind of place with a solid chance you will go insane before you get out.

As for the unfortunate characters, the temple is stewing with new occupants. The group befriended some mountain people from S4 who were friendly with the gnomes. The mountain people settled into the cleared temple thinking it would make a good home and keep it safe for the gnomes. Safe, that is, until the dark evil of the place slowly creeps into their thoughts and bones. Oh, the poor characters will be surprised on their return expecting safety and hospitality . . .
    GreySage

Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:08 pm  

... the foulest witch!"

Nice quote, Uptognomegood. Cool

The module I think would be the worst in real life is Ravenloft. If played correctly, Strahd should make hit-and-run attacks against the PCs until they are whittled away and killed off, one by one. If played to his full potential, Strahd is way too powerful for a party of 5th-7th level adventurers.

SirXaris

Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:52 pm  
    Re: Black as midnight, black as pitch, blacker than....

Uptognomegood wrote:
    ...Looking at WoG, if you were suddenly transformed into a character, which "adventure" would you fear to embark upon and why?

ANY OF THEM! Shocked

The realms of fantasy are FAR more perilous and terrifying than anything we can possibly imagine in our 'reality.'

-Lanthorn
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:32 am  

A4, In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords would be terrifying. The players lose all of their equipment, except for loin cloths, before the adventure begins, wizards have no spells, and priests have only a few minor ones. Under the best of circumstances, the characters will face the powerful slave lords with some weapons and armor taken from 1HD/1st level looters, a couple of looted potions, and a couple of scrolls. Not exactly the preferred arrangement.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:35 am  

Again I think a well DM'd Ravenloft would be terrifying, however Tomb of Horrors would be a strong candidate for me.
    It's set in the middle of a swamp with who knows what in it, then when you go in there is no abundance of monsters to slay just......well anything that may or may not be deadly IS!!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:39 am  

Bunner wrote:
    Again I think a well DM'd Ravenloft would be terrifying, however Tomb of Horrors would be a strong candidate for me.
    It's set in the middle of a swamp with who knows what in it, then when you go in there is no abundance of monsters to slay just......well anything that may or may not be deadly IS!!

-Tarleton does have a point, though. At least with TOH (I'm not familiar with Ravenloft), at least you can back out. In A4, getting out is the adventure...
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: