JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Favorite home brew adventure in WoG
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Favorite home brew adventure in WoG
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:32 am  
    Favorite home brew adventure in WoG

There are some incredibly creative and brilliant DM's out there and they make some very good adventures, sadly, I am not one of these deified DM's. Embarassed With that being said, what were some home brew adventures either you or your DM made that you truly enjoyed playing?

Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:03 pm  

What a great thread topic! Idea I had the notion (no, really, I did!) to post something along these lines, but glad somebody else beat me to it. I have participated in some epic home brewed adventures, both as DM and player, and will add to this thread when time permits me to elaborate. I hope someone else will jump in and start the proverbial ball rolling in the meantime...

-Lanthorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:13 pm  

God, many years ago in a garage in California using a ping pong table for our game was the place that started an adventure that we still talk about to this day. A session that started around 7pm and ended at 8am the next day.

My friends, Dan, Mike M, Mike G and Mike L played what we thought was going to be some random encounter. That one encounter with a giant owl in the Gnarley Forest led to our quest to save a damsel from 20 evil gnomes that we pursued down the Wild Coast into the Pomarj.

In between we fought smugglers in Safeton, We fought pirates at Fax who had controlled the smugglers of Safeton. Snuck into Elredd hunting an assassin that worked for the pirates. Battled orcs, bugbears and goblins near the Suss forest and even explored a dungeon in what we thought was the Lost City but wasnt.. We lost characters and made new ones to take up the battle as friends or relatives of those slain. Our final battle with the gnomes was in a cavern over looking the City of Blue. It was and epic battle for us. We fought, we thought for sure we would lose. A sword we didn't know could talk suddenly did and helped its wielder kill the chief gnome. The damsel was almost lost... In the end we won. We fought the gnomes to the last one. Even after one of them summoned a minor demon, type II.. We saved the girl, got a decent treasure and even managed to steal a ship in the harbor and escape across the bay to Idee..

Why did gnomes kidnap a girl and flee to the Pomarj? We never did find out and after a while it didnt matter. It didnt matter that we never really had a reason to save her, she was the damsel that needed our help.

We played, we rolled dice, we laughed, yelled and argued. We blasted music until we got yelled at to turn it down. To this day it remains one the of the greatest playing sessions in my memory. Very few have ever come close to that night again.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:36 am  

Maraudar wrote:
    God, many years ago in a garage in California using a ping pong table for our game was the place that started an adventure that we still talk about to this day. A session that started around 7pm and ended at 8am the next day.

We played, we rolled dice, we laughed, yelled and argued. We blasted music until we got yelled at to turn it down. To this day it remains one the of the greatest playing sessions in my memory. Very few have ever come close to that night again.

That's awesome! Lol, I just tried to "Like" your post (too much FB time!). This is exactly what I'm talking about; evil gnomes, pirates and a damsel in distress. Memories that last a life time.....

Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:42 am  

1e, back in the 80s, played in a campaign where I had a barbarian who was a "brawler" type (we were inspired by the camel punching scene from Conan)--ended up running afoul a wizard who changed the barbarian's gender to a female (a Xena before Xena!) Not sure if we ever actually played a module, but we started an endlessly entertaining set of adventures seeking to "change back." Never did get that done, but had a blast. I think my favorite moment was failing miserably to pummel a dragon after jumping on its back. We had a lot of rotating players/PCs, but mine was constant, hence the thread-hook. I think we ended up retiring the crew at about 12th-ish level.
    GreySage

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:04 am  

I was fortunate enough to get to be a player through The Temple of Elemental Evil because my friend wanted to give DMing a try.

I played a dwarven cleric/fighter who had acquired a necklace of prayer beads. One of the beads would summon the cleric's deity. Now, that was quite a powerful item, so the DM and I agreed that it was a one-use item, it had better not be used for a trifling matter, there would be serious consequences for its use, and the DM would be the final adjudicator of what effect it actually had when used. I, being the regular DM for the group, agreed.

We had a wonderful time hacking and slashing our way through the dungeon levels until we arrived at the long hall in the final level. I'm not sure what we did, but somehow Iuz showed up and began to attack us. The DM's younger brother's PC had a wand of wonder, which never did anything useful. It stayed true to that expectation and, unhelpfully, caused grass to grow on the stone floor of the hallway. Iuz proceeded to pummel us badly. Everyone else in the party began yelling at me to use the bead to call on Moradin, but Gdlyan (my dwarven cleric/fighter) felt that it would be cowardly to magically summon that great god without first giving all he had to succeed without bothering him.

We had also acquired a magical mirror that allowed us to teleport by stepping through it. It became apparent to the others that Gdlyan wasn't going to use the bead any time soon, so someone pulled the magical mirror out of their bag of holding and everyone began jumping through it.

Gdlyan bravely faced off against Iuz for another round then, fearing he'd be killed if hit again, fled and used the bead to summon Moradin. A booming voice shook the dungeons walls, the DM explained, which said, "Cuthbert! Handle this!" In the next instant, St. Cuthbert appeared between Gdlyan and Iuz, cudgel in hand, and said to his evil counter-part, "Shall we take this somewhere more private?" After only a moment's hesitation, both gods disappeared and the tunnel was again in silence - except for the sound of a gentle breeze rustling the dungeon grass.

Gdlyan summoned his friends back through the magic mirror and they continued on, chastising the dwarf for his fool-hardiness.

SirXaris

Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:02 pm  

Oops! I guess my previous post wasn't a homebrew. Smile

Here's a link to my favorite homebrew: Agnosco Adventum. I had an absolute blast play-testing it at GaryCon IV and GU. Happy

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5851594/Downloads_Section/Canonfire_Chronicles/CC01f.pdf

SirXaris
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: