Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Detection Spells...Is light needed?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Detection Spells...Is light needed?
    GreySage

Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:53 am  
    Detection Spells...Is light needed?

This came up just last night.

Is it necessary to have illumination (spell, natural, artificial) in order to use such spells as Find Traps, Detect Magic, Detect Passages and Portals, etc.? Since these are visual effects, I think there is a case that the caster needs to 'see.' Basically, can you cast them in the dark...or not (granted that you don't have Infravision)?

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:07 pm  

I've always assumed that those spells grant the caster a magical vision of the object being detected. They may see a glowing outline, or some other indication, but since it is a magical detection, it is not dependent upon natural sight.

SirXaris

Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:23 am  

This is one of those cases that an argument could be made either way...
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:57 pm  

Regarding Detect Magic

► This page ◄ has the references at the bottom:

Quote:
    At first, each practitioner of magic had their own version of detect magic. Magic-users including illusionists could sense magic in a 10 ft (3 m) wide corridor 60 ft (18.3 m) long and for a duration based on their experience level. Clerics and druids could only "see" magical auras out to 30 ft (9.1 m) and 40 ft (12.2 m) respectively for a duration of 10 or 12 minutes respectively. The caster could turn in an arc to sweep out an area, making a full circle in six minutes. These versions of the spell could penetrate anything less than 1 ft (30 cm) of stone, 1 in (2.5 cm) of solid metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 ft (0.9 m) of wood or dirt. No information other than the presence or absence of magic was acquired.[6]

Later, wizards and priests were able to determine the intensity of magical auras, classifying them as dim, faint, moderate, strong, and overwhelming. In addition, wizards had a chance to identify the school of magic to which an aura belonged. Priests were likewise able to identify the sphere of magic. The more experienced the caster, the better were the chances to correctly identify each aura. Once again, the divine spellcasters had a fixed duration of 10 minutes but could "see" out to 90 ft (27.4 m). Arcane spellcasters could only detect out to 60 ft (18.3 m) but the duration was based on their level and eventually exceeded the divine version's 10 minutes for more experienced wizards.[2][3]

- D

Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:37 am  

I guess the implication is that a light source isn't needed, at least from that description.

If vision isn't required, what of blind spell-casters (clerics, mainly, since I blind mage couldn't even read his scrolls!)?

-Lanthorn
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:54 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    I guess the implication is that a light source isn't needed, at least from that description.

Correct. The objects in question radiate light (but only to/for the caster).

Lanthorn wrote:
    If vision isn't required, what of blind spell-casters (clerics, mainly, since a blind mage couldn't even read his scrolls!)?

Great question. My thought would be he's SOL (S_it Out of Luck), considering the entire nature of casting in 1st/2nd ed D&D.

However, I see no reason to say that the light could not be changed to vibrations, thus tactilely detectable.

- Ð

Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:33 pm  

DrassustheGaunt wrote:
    Lanthorn wrote:

Correct. The objects in question radiate light (but only to/for the caster).

Lanthorn wrote:
    If vision isn't required, what of blind spell-casters (clerics, mainly, since a blind mage couldn't even read his scrolls!)?

Great question. My thought would be he's SOL (S_it Out of Luck), considering the entire nature of casting in 1st/2nd ed D&D.

However, I see no reason to say that the light could not be changed to vibrations, thus tactilely detectable.

- Ð

I agree with Drassus. In fact, it would be a great role-playing opportunity for a PC wizard that became blind to have to invent versions of those spells that worked with different senses than his (non-existent) sight.

SirXaris
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: