JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Celestian and Far Realms
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Celestian and Far Realms
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:11 pm  
    Celestian and Far Realms

During a discussion on another forum about what makes Greyhawk "different", someone referred to Celestian as "The God of Space (and the Far Realms per Living Greyhawk)".

Is this something that was actually established in a Living Greyhawk adventure, or is this person confused?
    A Google search turns up a 4e article in Dragon #375 detailing the Celestian Order, which defends the world from the Far Realms, but there's no indication that it actually has anything to do with Celestian himself.

When I think "otherworldly Lovecraftian horrors", Celestian isn't the first one to spring to mind. Although, now that I think about it, he does resemble one of Nyarlathotep's iconic humanoid avatars. That could be interesting, given the obscure legends that suggest Nyarlathotep might be Iuz's paternal grandfather...
    GreySage

Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:52 pm  

I'm unaware of any Living Greyhawk canon on the subject (and I'm often iffy about Living Greyhawk canon anyway) but this actually seems appropriate to me. Celestian is the Far Wanderer, after all, and if any god is likely to wander all the way to the Far Realm it's him (that said, there's some indication in Dragon #338 that Boccob may have done so at some point).

He'd definitely be the god best suited to knowing when "the Stars are right" for Lovecraftian elder gods to rise (though, again, astrology and prophecy are also part of Boccob's bailiwick - Boccob would know of such things, but only Celestian would stand a chance of actually controlling them).

And the equivalent of the Far Realm in the Pathfinder setting is "the Dark Tapestry" - basically the extreme depths of interstellar space, which seems part of Celestian's territory.

I'd imagine Celestian as more of a guardian figure and neutral messenger than actually in charge of or allied with the Far Realm denizens, though. I don't think he'd have neh-thalggu heralds or anything, but he might communicate with the inhabitants of realms outside of Time when the other gods need someone who can safely do so, and he might in times of great need help protect the known multiverse from threats beyond it. As god of wanderers, Celestian is probably the only god who could do so regularly.

As guardian of time, Cyndor might also play a role in guarding against Far Realm incursions. I suppose you could argue that Cyndor would do all the protecting and Celestian would have to stand aloof from any invasions in order to protect his neutral status. If he actually fought against them, he might lose his safe passage there and back. He might negotiate with entities from Beyond to determine where and when the stars are right for their return.

If Boccob ever ventured Outside in search of secrets, it was probably at great cost, and something he couldn't repeat. Actually, that could tie into the 4th edition myth that Tharizdun, Pelor, and the 4e goddess of knowledge Ioun opened a gate to the Far Realm at the dawn of time, and gazing into it drove Tharizdun insane. Pelor and Ioun shattered the gate and tried to cover up their transgression. In Greyhawk, Boccob would work well in place of Ioun.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:03 am  

I always thought Dalt had a Far Realms "vibe" to him.

EDIT: The Greywiki states that Dalt's motto is: "The Stars are my guides, the Voids of space my brethren, and Chaos my sire."
    CF Admin

Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:26 pm  

Raphael wrote:
    I always thought Dalt had a Far Realms "vibe" to him.

And with good reason: http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2ncjv?And-the-true-name-of-Y-is

In addition to Celestian, Boccob, and Cyndor as possible guardians against/having portfolios relevant to the Far Realms, I think that these two are good candidates:

- Zagyg, given his penchant for exploring/creating/discovering demi-planes and other strange planar locales, as well as his focus on Madness and Insanity
    - Keoghtom, the quintessential planar explorer

Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:33 pm  

Also remember that Celestian and Fharlanghn, ominously subtitled The Dweller on the Horizon, are brothers. A suspiciously strange fraternity...

There are some confusing clues in Maure Castle that suggest the Dalt's parentage may also be linked to these two (to my mind anyway).
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: