JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Order of the Glory Everlasting
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Order of the Glory Everlasting
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:20 pm  
    Order of the Glory Everlasting

I'm trying to come up with a background for a dwarven monk in my setting and I've settled on being part of the Order of the Glory Everlasting, of Heironeous. The only problem is that while I've found multiple references to it, none of them seem to list a location for a central monastery. It doesn't truly matter, I suppose, but if there was a published location given at one time I'd like to use that.

Anyway, first post! Yay!
    Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:14 pm  

Welcome to Canonfire, Mindseye!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heironeous

Let's see...given that the Order has a rivalry with a Hextorian group of monks and are dedicated to preserving Oeridian culture, my best guess is they operate in and around the Great Kingdom, perhaps in a remote location. Another good place for them might be in the Shield Lands, perhaps in hiding on the Isle of Admudfort so they can oppose Hextor AND Iuz. Many possibilities.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:04 am  

If the Order is devoted to preserving Oeridian culture, it would seem doubtful that a dwarf would want to be a member or be accepted as a member. Plus, a dwarf devoting himself to a human deity would probably be considered to be a mental patient by other dwarves, given dwarfish chauvinism.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:37 am  

Normally I'd say that was the case, but In the Greyhawk I'm working with most if not all of the Racist (Racial) gods aren't around. There is no dwarf pantheon, or Orc pantheon or Lizard folk pantheon. Where I can I'm matching up the alignment and portfolio of the demihuman pantheons with preexisting human (balkunish, suloise, oeridian and flan) and having them appear to the demihumans in a form they are comfortable with. Moridan is LG with a Knowledge domain? So are Rao, Delleb, and Allitur. Some of the demihuman deites are kept, such as Corellon Latherian, and Gruumsh because I couldn't match their alignment and Domains up with other deities, but they have more of a backstory of exemplars of their race that ascended to godhood in the sense of hercules or other demigods, and maintaining the racial aspect of themselves would be part of what keeps them as demigods, not greater powers. Not exactly canon, but it does cut down on the deity list to keep up with.

But the point of Oeridian culture is harder to ignore. Is there a better monastery or order of monks that is published somewhere I can look at or should I just make it up whole cloth as well?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:19 pm  

My vote would be for somewhere in Nyrond. If you're in the current time period 591+, maybe in Old Almor, along the border with Ahlissa.
    Master Greytalker

Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:24 am  

The dwur of Dumadan are said to practice a form of tai chi. That would be a great place for a monastery.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:06 am  

So in the mountain Range cutting off the bright Desert from everybody? That would work. Thanks for all the responses everybody.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:27 pm  

Broken Rock Monastery in Nyrond sounds apt.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: