Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Non-Scarlet Monks in Greyhawk?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Non-Scarlet Monks in Greyhawk?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:58 pm  
    Non-Scarlet Monks in Greyhawk?

What orders of monks exists in Greyhawk aside from the Scarlet Brotherhood? Are there any? What orders do non-evil monks belong to?

Is there any mention of non-SB monkly orders in printed Greyhawk materials?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:22 pm  

I think there was a module with some monks of Heironeous in the "Bastion of Faith "
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:30 pm  

Yes mentions monks on page 43 in that book.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:15 pm  

I wrote this article a while back http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=996 I hope this helps you with monastic orders for your game world.
    GreySage

Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:54 am  

Xan Yae and Zuoken are Baklunish monk gods. There's an order of monks in The Ghost Tower of Inverness, set in the Duchy of Urnst, which is probably dedicated to Xan Yae. Monks of Zuoken appear in Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk.

Here's another thread on the subject:
    http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4732
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:44 am  

I think Johydee would have monks dedicated to her, in secret monasteries, perhaps opposing secretly the Scarlet Brotherhood?
    GreySage

Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:55 am  

It is very likely that most faiths would have some type of monk-like character class devoted to mental, physical, and spiritual discipline. The Scarlet Brotherhood source book has expanded on several Suel faiths such as Bralm, Wee Jas, Llerg, and Pyremius, just as Bastion of Faith did for both Heironeous and Hextor. The former text gave ratios for clerics and specialty priests while the latter gave percentages within the clergy for clerics, specialty priests, crusaders, and monks. Thusly, it stands to reason this could apply to all faiths in the general Oerth multiverse with differing ratios as well. DM's prerogative, of course, although one could argue that some faiths do not inherently have the appropriate perspective for a monk class due to lack of discipline or focus on the mind, body, and soul (ex: Erythnul, Kord, most humanoid Powers, etc) while others do (ex: Rao, St Cuthbert).

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:48 pm  

There's also The Splintered Mind, a group of psionicists and monks who split off from the Scarlet Brotherhood in order to oppose them.

The thread I linked to above mentions:

The Reaper's Children, an order of monks dedicated to Nerull (Dragon #299; also the novel Oath of Nerull)
    The Monks of Dire Hunger, an order of atheist, cannibal monks found in the city of Scuttlecove in the southern seas (Dungeon #146).
    GreySage

Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:48 pm  

double post
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:01 pm  

From Howl From the North there are the dreaded Barbarian Fist-zerkers of Llerg. Dress in bearskins and basically just pummel people to death while high as a kite on Amanita muscaria mushrooms. Actually, no, not really. I made that up as a character concept and my DM invented the name "fist-zerker." Would have run it, but we really needed something more tank-like in the party.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:21 pm  

The generic module UK4 When a Star Falls features an order called the Order of the Night Sky that protects a group of astrological prophet/sages. Most of the UK series is already set in Greyhawk and UK4 adapts well. IMC, the monks and sages belong to an obscure sect of Pholtus, driven from the Theocracy and dwelling in a remote corner of Tenh.

rasgon wrote:
    There's an order of monks in The Ghost Tower of Inverness, set in the Duchy of Urnst, which is probably dedicated to Xan Yae.

Erik Mono made Li Hon and her temple followers of Zuoken in his OJ3 article.
    GreySage

Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:32 am  

Ah, yes. I meant to look in Oerth Journal #3, but hadn't gotten around to it.

Look in OJ3.

There is the Twilight Monastery in the Cairn Hills, a few hours from Diamond Lake. It's described in the Age of Worms adventure path.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:38 am  

One of my players played Baklunish monk trained in a temple of Zuoken, last time I ran GH. He was also CG. I relaxed the normal lawful only rule.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: