Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - So an evil party walks into Hommlett . . .
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 5th Edition
    So an evil party walks into Hommlett . . .
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:12 am  
    So an evil party walks into Hommlett . . .

Not sure how to hide things with spoiler tags on this one but the adventure is almost older than me, and there's been a pc game based on it . . . But in case you haven't played Temple of Elemental Evil, please read no further. Evil Grin

So assuming that the priest doesn't start evangelizing in the Inn and the fighter and the rogue don't have a contest trying to see how many barmaids they can slay before sundown, how well would a party of adventurers, who happen to be of LE, LN, NE and N alignments get along in Hommlett? I mean, they aren't going to do things out of the goodness of their hearts, but, with the proper motivation of money and experience, I can see most of the other parts of the adventure converting okay. Some npcs might be less willing to help them, some might even assume they are joining up with the temple instead of rooting them out. As long as the characters deal fairly with the inhabitants of Hommlett and make it clear they are working against the Temple instead of with it, they should be okay. After all , there's not a paladin detecting evil at the edge of town, is there?

And after Hommlett there is Nulb, a wretched hive of scum and villainy if there ever was one. rolleyes It's Chaotic nature should rub a Lawful party (Evil or Otherwise) just as badly as it's Evil nature would bother a Good aligned party so I don't see any need to adjust anything in that area.

Once the party is in the Temple itself, I assume there will be enough things trying to kill the party that self-preservation will win the day.

I've never played an intentionally Evil character. I'm not always sure how to work some of the motivations for characters in published modules.

I specify the Lawful spectrum of Evil on purpose for this campaign, mostly because a CE or CN character will out themselves, requiring the character to be removed which isn't fun for anyone. (If the Player is CE or CN you have other problems)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:50 pm  

There's a similar discussion in the 2e forum that could help guide how you manage the situation:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5998[/url]
    [/code]
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:53 pm  

Cool, it looks very informative. Thank you for pointing it out!
    GreySage

Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:32 am  

I think you have it figured out well, in general.

I'll add that as a primarily lawful party of evil PCs, they aren't likely to go around breaking laws, so they won't have the authorities in Hommlet coming down on them. As evil PCs, they will likely find that their personalities rub the inhabitants wrong and they don't make friends easily. However, in the real world, people with horrible personal characters that accomplish grand things and know how to spin it to convince the general population that they are great people, seem to attract love and loyalty from the very people they look down upon and step on to raise themselves up to greatness. So, your primarily LE party should be able to convince most of the common people of Hommlet that they are a boon the the village if they can bring back frequent proof of their deeds - the heads of the bandits, bodies of slain ogres, trolls, salamanders, etc., and the accoutrements and unholy symbols of slain evil clerics for example.

SirXaris

Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:29 pm  

That is exactly what has happened in my 2nd Campaign they lay pretty low in the village but have a secret lab in a cave system that had Verbeegs in it. They have created Zombie Verbeegs to guard it. Bandit attacks have decreased so the locals think they are great buying drinks for them. Elmo is a bit wary of them kind of waiting on them to slip up!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 5th Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: