Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The "Introduce Yourself" Thread
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk!
    The "Introduce Yourself" Thread [ Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next]
    GreySage

Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:23 am  
    Re: The "Introduce Yourself" Thread

ragnar wrote:
    You thought I was going to get the D&D set, didn't you? Razz

Sad You poor kid!

Quote:
    However, I kissed my first girl so the year wasn't a total loss.

Lucky you. I am still waiting... Laughing

Quote:
    ...and I played D&D in the back of my dad's pickup with two six-sided dice and a binder of paper. That's all I had, and I totally made up my own game!

Sounds like something I would do as a kid. I recall playing DnD campaigns by myself! Embarassed

Quote:
    Unfortunately, my dad threw out my first box of books on accident. That's his story, and he's sticking to it!

"Accident" indeed. Confused Your father should be glad you didn't play a cleric (or follower) of Trithereon, lest his tires get slashed 'somehow.' Evil Grin

Quote:
    at least more than could buy a weekly couple of comics...

DC...or Marvel??? Choose wisely, my son... Cool

Quote:
    Still, I'm definately a 2nd ed guy!

'Nuff said, for Lanthorn!!! Happy

Quote:
    I've been around here for quite some time.

As was said earlier, Welcome Back! And glad to meet your acquaintance.

-Lanthorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:14 pm  

First Name: Matthew
    When you started playing D&D?: 1988
    What rules you started with?: 1st Ed. (started with Against the Cult of the Reptile God, actually)
    Where does your Forum Nick come from?: Mention in an old Dragon Magazine--a thieves guildmaster who figured out how to advance faster politically by taking a second class as an assassin.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:51 pm  

Deep Shadow,

Welcome to the boards. Feel free to ask questions and post intriguing topics.

If you get a chance join us for Thursday night chats. Follow the link to your left by clicking on Greytalk Chat Now! (with Java).

Later

Argon
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:47 pm  

Name : Steve,
    Loc. west mids UK.
    Started playing: 1979/80ish... I sat in on an older friends game one school night and was hooked. I had a basic red box set soon after I think; I still have it packed away. By the mid 80s I had the full set of 1e AD&D and still have most of them and a handful of my old Ralpartha and early citadel minatures.
    Tracking down Greyhawk stuff ASAP.
    Forum nick started out as Pub, from back in the day - he was a multi classed fighter thief I used to play.
    Took the name over to online games in the mid 90s but it soon morphed into Pubzombie due to my love of real ale, real pubs, and Romero zombie flicks.
    Steve
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:20 pm  

Welcome to the boards Pubzombie!

So instead of brains you crave beer, ale, pretzels, and peanuts? In that case I might qualify as a pubzombie. Wink

If you get a chance join us for Thursday night chats. Follow the link to your left by clicking on Greytalk Chat Now! (with Java).

Later

Argon
    Master Greytalker

Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:21 pm  

[quote="Lanthorn"]
    ragnar wrote:

Quote:
    at least more than could buy a weekly couple of comics...

DC...or Marvel??? Choose wisely, my son... Cool

-Lanthorn

Why, Marvel, of course! :)
    GreySage

Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:01 am  

"You have chosen wisely..." Cool

Argon and I are big Spidey fans. I used to collect at least three Spider-Man titles (the market really got flooded and became ridiculous, I thought) as well as Daredevil. I even played the RPG for a while. I've never been a DC fan...but have seen many of the movies. "Know thy Enemy." Evil Grin

"With great power comes great responsibilty."

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:39 pm  

Spiderman is my favorite hero of all time.

However, DC has a lot of great titles as well. Plus they also had the rights to the first line of Advanced Dungeon and Dragons comics. None of which included Greyhawk for some reason! Confused

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:44 pm  

Spidey!? Shocked

What am I going to do with the two of you? rolleyes

Lanthorn wrote:
    "With great power comes great responsibilty."

Jonathan Clark said it before Uncle Ben did! Razz

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I like both Marvel and DC. After all, Marvel has some "Stars" among their numbers, but Superman and Batman are the Head Liners, no matter what anyone may think contrary to that. Wink

I liked Thor and the "later" Captain Marvel -- my dad likes the "Shazam" Captain Marvel of his "day." Wink
    Paladin

Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:34 am  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    Spidey!? Shocked

What am I going to do with the two of you? rolleyes

Guess you will have to add me to the spidey list.... though its was more because of Mary Jane ... hehehe always had a thing for redheads.... Mary Jane, Barbara Gordon, Peper Potts and of course Jean Grey. Wink
    GreySage

Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:38 am  

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    . . . though its was more because of Mary Jane . . .

The "new" Spidey flick replaced Mary Jane! Shocked

I will not be watching it! Razz Evil Razz Evil Razz Evil

Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:48 am  

MS,

Its your loss. Gwen Stacy was Peter's first love interest. Though the movie does not follow with the comic, it is a good movie. The chemistry between Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone is better then the chemistry between Toby Maguire and Kirsten Dunst.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:59 pm  

5 Karma points (a Marvel Superheroes RPG reference just for Argon) for knowing your Spidey history. Gwen was indeed Peter's first love interest, accidentally slain while he was saving her from a tragic fall courtesty of the Green Goblin (orginal one...Norman Osborn). Mary Jane comes along much later in the love interest story.

-Lanthorn, Webhead fan
    Master Greytalker

Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:37 am  

I have no problem with it. Gwen Stacy an her story with Peter/Spidey was simply the best. Killing her as they did was a brutally real moment at a time when comics didn't do that. In fact, it was also completely necessary. Yes, he already had learned about the power/responsibility thing with Uncle Ben, but losing Gwen this way had perhaps an even BIGGER affect on Peter Parker. He was never the same, ever.

On the other hand, Mary Jane was something else too. I still remember her first appearance with the "Let's face it Tiger" line. That was awesome. Since I'm a big Kirsten Dunst fan, I will miss Mary Jane too. But hey, you can't have them both!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:18 am  

name - Amos
    age - 39 (and will be til i hit 50 cause thats an age that commands respect)
    location - SE Wisconsin
    1st rules - found the old blueish box with the dragon facing a wizard and archer on the cover (1979). It came with card board "chits" (who remembers those? haha) and a coupon you could redeem for a free set of dice (please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery) Was hooked from the start and bought the basic rules and some new dice in 80 or 81. Got the boxed greyhawk set for xmas when it came out and wore it out running friends across Oerth. I'm still running my sons and their friends through some of my old adventures - we stick with 2nd ed ad&d these days.
    nick - one of my early charaters i had when i lived in germany, inspired by the famous gray mouser of course mixed with a dash of errol flynn. I reincarnated him when i taught my sons to play (he's a rogue swashbuckler now - with a dash of quagmire added to the old character)
    I'm lookin forward to exploring this site and see what everyone else has done with oerth.
    GreySage

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:52 am  

GreyMaus, I'm 52 . . . what "respect" are you talking about "commanding?" Shocked Confused

You're in for a big disappointment . . . stay "39." Wink Laughing

And . . .

. . . Welcome to Canonfire! Cool

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:04 am  

GreyMaus wrote:
    ...age - 39 (and will be til i hit 50 cause thats an age that commands respect)...

1st rules - found the old blueish box with the dragon facing a wizard and archer on the cover (1979)...

-Welcome GreyMaus!

I started (March 1981) with the same OD&D edition, except it was just the rule book, no box, so the hobby shop owner let me have it for free.

If you got that in 1979, you were either very precocious, or you're already working on your creative age reckoning! Razz
    GreySage

Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:01 am  

GreyMaus! Welcome to Canonfire! Happy

Since you're in SE Wisconsin, I wondering if you were able to attend GaryCon this year. If so, we may have crossed paths without realizing it. Smile

SirXaris

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:54 pm  
    GaryCon

Wait one cotton pickin' minute here! Evil

You went to GaryCon and . . .

. . . didn't take me!? Shocked Mad Razz

Argh!

Hehehehehehehehehehe!

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:50 pm  

GreyMaus wrote:
    we stick with 2nd ed ad&d these days.

Welcome to the Club, GreyMaus. 2e players always invited. Happy We still seem to be around...if one looks hard enough. Wink

-Lanthorn, 2e fan
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:45 pm  

Graymaus,

Welcome to the boards. You'll find fans of the Greyhawk setting from all editions of the game. Heck, some have converted their campaigns to use rules never created by the IP holder. If you get a chance stop by for the Thursday night chats. Click on the link to your left that reads as Greytalk Chat Now! (with java).

I'm... I mean we all are looking for some fresh meat to join in on the conversation. Though it appears 10 pm EST is when things get moving.

Here's a link to our now dispersed Spine Castle campaign.http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=48
    I played the fun loving bard Aoric.

Later

Argon
    Adept Greytalker

Sat May 04, 2013 1:17 am  

First Name - Matt
    Age - 41
    Location - Minnesota (south of Duluth)
    Started playing in early 1980 until 1995 (graduated college). Old buddies and I started playing again last year.
    Began with red box, moved to 1st ed AD&D and then to 2nd ed. We have all agreed to stay with 2nd edition but some house rules, etc thrown in.

I read a lot on canonfire but do not post much. Thanks for all your time and input to those of you that do post alot.
    GreySage

Sat May 04, 2013 7:24 am  

mheaton118 wrote:

Began with red box, moved to 1st ed AD&D and then to 2nd ed. We have all agreed to stay with 2nd edition but some house rules, etc thrown in.

Another one! Happy

Welcome to Canonfire!, Matt. Even if you don't post much, keep prowling the boards and feel free to add your own thoughts when the mood strikes you. If you are a fan of 2e, join some of our discussions on that Forum. You'll be more than welcome...there, or anywhere. We may be an opinionated lot, but we try to keep it civil. Wink

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Sat May 04, 2013 10:45 pm  

Welcome, Matt!

It's great to hear from you, even if you choose not to post often. It's nice to know that you like the information you find on the site. Happy

We'd love to hear your opinions on any thread herein, so don't avoid posting out of bashfulness. Wink

SirXaris

Tue May 07, 2013 3:29 pm  

First Name - Gavin
    Age - 29
    Location - Central KY
    When you started playing D&D - About a decade ago?
    What rules you started with - 3.0
    where does your Forum Nick come from? an ex girlfriend nicknamed me Gavin.
    GreySage

Tue May 07, 2013 6:39 pm  

I'm glad to make your online acquaintance, Gavinfoxx. Smile

Feel free to jump into any forum thread you find intriguing.

SirXaris

Tue May 07, 2013 7:55 pm  

mheaton118 and Gavinfoxx,

Welcome to the boards. Feel free to jump in and comment as you see fit. If you get a chance join us for the Thursday night chats. Just click on the link that reads as Greytalk Chat Now! (with Java).

Be forewarned, most chats don't get rolling until 10 pm EST.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Wed May 08, 2013 8:33 am  

Hail and well met, mheaton118 and Gavinfoxx! Welcome to Canonfire!

We all eagerly look forward to your comments and contributions to the site. We're always looking for fresh . . . input! Evil Grin

Be sure to search the Greyhawk Wiki in the left hand column. Thanks to the never ending efforts of our grand and illustrious alumni -- Robbastard and Rasgon -- almost all things "Greyhawk" are to be found there, though the work continues.

You have been told of Thursday Night Chat -- Argon's favorite invite. You will find that link in the left hand column as well: "Greyhawk Chat Now! (with Java)." Just click on the link.

If you really wish to "test" your writing skills, might I suggest a perusal through the forums: "Postfest Forum & Archive," the "Oerth Journal" and the "Canonfire! Chronicles." Submissions are always welcome and our diligent editors can never get enough of them.

Visit the forum "Canonfire! & Greytalk Help and Feedback" with any suggestions you might have that could improve the quality of the work being done here. It all benefits the community and everyone's opinion is welcome. Cool

And let me also assure you that everyone here is most anxious to follow your "home" campaign, if you're willing to share with us. You can post those in the forum: "Campaign Journals & General Online Play."

And we do talk of things other than Greyhawk, but we ask that those conversations be posted to the forum: "The Backalley." We have a couple of threads running even now on HBO's "Vikings" and "Game of Thrones." Feel free to join in them.

So, once again, Welcome to Canonfire!

Enjoy yourselves and, please, share the wealth of your experiences with us! Happy

Wed May 08, 2013 10:41 am  

Okay, so I finally got around to adding an avatar. I chose death dealer because of one of my players. He made a character based off of Gath from Frank Frazetta's books. The interest in that character led me to create an area called Baal. From this, a large part of my home campaign evolved. The only real tie to the book is the name but thanks to Frazetta anyway. Since pulling out the books again, I have spent a lot of time trying to tie my areas with Greyhawk, Mystara and Forgotten Realms. Don't hate me, I hacked and slashed a lot.

As for my screen name, I didn't take the time to create anything special. Sorry.
    GreySage

Wed May 08, 2013 11:17 am  

mheaton118 wrote:
    As for my screen name, I didn't take the time to create anything special. Sorry.

Apologies not necessary . . . you can always change it. Wink Laughing

Wed May 08, 2013 11:39 am  

mheaton118:

Death Dealer is a classic and always inspiring to look upon. Evil Grin

SirXaris

Wed May 08, 2013 9:48 pm  

Welcome to the site (both of you). If you want to change your screen name, send me a PM.

Fri May 17, 2013 11:57 am  

First Name: Gabriele

When you started playing D&D: when I was 16 (1985)

What rules you started with: D&D 1e

where does your Forum Nick come from: My Character in an AD&D2 GH Campaign

Nice to meet you all Greyhawkers!!!!!! Razz
    GreySage

Fri May 17, 2013 2:16 pm  

Welcome aboard,

Buonacera (spelling?)! Happy

Do you still play 1e?
    I have (once) visited Firenze many, many years ago after I graduated college. It was a family tour of Italy, and one of our stops included Florence.

Hope you enjoy discussing Greyhawk with us 'over here.'

Ciao',

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Fri May 17, 2013 6:32 pm  

Welcome to Canonfire!, Devon_Darkbane. Happy

Please feel free to join in on any of our forums and threads. We also encourage you to submit articles to Canonfire! and to the Oerth Journal and Canonfire Chronicles. The more the merrier and we're all fans of Greyhawk here, so we love to hear ideas and opinions from other fans. Happy

SirXaris

Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:10 pm  

First Name: Brent

When you started playing D&D: when I was 9 (1981)

What rules you started with: BASIC baby! I was an elf.

where does your Forum Nick come from: My Hyborian War persona.

I now DM an online campaign (not GH as Ragnar already has a GH campaign on the same board). Play in his game too.
    Forum Moderator

Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:19 pm  

Welcome Brent! Always good to have more life long fans here.
    GreySage

Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:22 pm  

Welcome to Canonfire! Brent! It's great to have another contributor to our Greyhawk discussion forums. Feel free to join in on any you like.

Please also know that we encourage you to write and submit articles to Canonfire!, the Oerth Journal, and the Canonfire Chronicles.

SirXaris

Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:16 am  

First name: John

Started playing: 1989 (19 yrs old), played my first character a 1st level Thief in the Village of Homlett - had no idea what I was doing, but loved every second - addicted ever since!

Rules first played - AD&D 1stE (haven't got past 2e)

Forum Nick - actually its from the band Fugazi - its the same nick I use on every forum (but I have named a wizard after it!)
    GreySage

Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:46 am  

Welcome to the club, fugazi! Smile

Feel free to jump right in and participate in all the forums. We're always happy to hear new opinions about our favorite campaign world.

SirXaris

Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:00 am  

fugazi wrote:
    Rules first played - AD&D 1stE (haven't got past 2e)

Same here! Happy

Welcome to Canonfire!

Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:02 pm  

Fugazi,

Welcome aboard! Fell free to peruse the forums and if you get a chance join us on Thursday nights for Greytalk (with Java) by clicking the link on your left.

Later

Argon
    Novice

Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:58 pm  

First Name? Leonardo
    Age? 26
    Location? Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    When you started playing D&D? Since 1999.
    What rules you started with? AD&D 2nd Edition
    Where does your Forum Nick come from? From one of my first RPG characters: a Paladin.

Greetings from this Half Orc Paladin (and would-be Knight Protector) to all oerthians of this forum!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:16 pm  

Welcome aboard Kerdied,

Lanthorn's light has lead many 2nd edition fans to these forums. I for one welcome all Greyhawk fans edition does not matter! Fee free to peruse the boards and post in the forums. Though I will advise you to post in the correct forums so your queries can addressed in the proper forum.

Otherwise, fire away! If your up to it join us for the Thursday night chats by clicking on the link to your left. The link reads as Greytalk Chat Now! (with Java).

"May your axe, grow strong"

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:20 pm  

Welcome to the Canonfire! community, Kerdied. It's always fun to have another Greyhawk fan to bounce ideas off of. So, don't be bashful. Jump right into the threads.

SirXaris

Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:38 pm  

First Name? Surf. You can call me Surf.
    Age? 42
    Location? Australia
    When you started playing D&D? 1981
    What rules you started with? BECMI (Moldvay D&D)
    Where does your Forum Nick come from? Combining a couple of interests :)

Thanks to all the wonderful peeps who have kept Greyhawk alive over the years and to those who started and run Canonfire!

I loved the setting back in the day and often reminisced about it. Now I'm starting a new campaign on D&D Next and my players are positive about playing on Oerth again. So out came my old 1e/2e Greyhawk souce books.

ToEE, here they come...
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:33 pm  

Last edited by BlueWitch on Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:34 pm  

Welcome home, Surf! We're glad to make your acquaintance.

Don't be afraid to ask questions in the forums - that helps inspire many of us to look up the answers. Wink

Also, feel free to message individual members, though you won't have that privilege until you have about five posts under your belt.

You can access the Greyhawk Wiki and Greytalk Chat from the links to the left and be sure to check out the Articles link above and the Oerth Journal/Canonfire! Chronicles for many ideas from fans that you may choose to incorporate into your own version of the World of Greyhawk.

Again, it's great that you're here to participate in the forums, Surfarcher! Jump right in. Happy

SirXaris

Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:20 pm  

Thanks for the warm welcome folks! Yes, the wiki is very useful, as is the forums... Er. I'm actually hard-pressed to pick something on Canonfire that is not useful! LOL!

BlueWitch wrote:
    Now I'm picturing that. Combining surfing with archery. Laughing
    I guess it would add to the challenge quite a bit. Wink

*heh* Well, I'm glad I didn't combine some other interests. The mind boggles!
    Paladin

Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:05 pm  

Welcome Kerdied & surfarcher
    You have found the grand treasure trove of all that is Greyhawk! Don't be shy to dive in, be mindful of the thread catagories to get better response and avoid the PURPLE Lightning Wink
    GreySage

Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:08 pm  

surfarcher wrote:

So out came my old 1e/2e Greyhawk souce books.

Surfarcher, always glad to have another 1e/2e fan join our dwindled ranks.

Come and visit 'my' stomping grounds down in the 2e Forum; I also 'Plane Shift' to other sites...occasionally. Wink

Welcome aboard,

Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:30 pm  

Welcome, Surfarcher!

BlueWitch wrote:

...Now I'm picturing that. Combining surfing with archery. Laughing
    I guess it would add to the challenge quite a bit. Wink

-Well, this is close:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaXOHCNgYrc

...it helps if you listen to it with the music. Wink
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:16 am  

First Name? A.J.

Age? 47

Location? Utah

When you started playing D&D? Circa 1975

What rules you started with? The original boxed set

where does your Forum Nick come from? I started using Greyhawk4x4 when I created my Youtube channel by the same name. I chose it because of my love for Greyhawk and the fact that I drive a 4x4. I use it for all social media sites as well.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:25 pm  

I have been remiss and never got around to this...

First Name: John

When you started playing D&D? Circa 1990

What rules you started with? Very briefly 1e, then 2e. I have never moved from those.

where does your Forum Nick come from? I am very much interested in 18th century history, and pursued a masters degree focusing on the American Revolution. Tarelton was an interesting character, though he was most successful at self-promotion than anything else... of course, that is not always bad.
    GreySage

Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:14 pm  

Welcome Greyhawk4x4 and Tarelton (late is better than never Wink )!

1975! Wow! You are an OG (Original Greyhawker), Greyhawk4x4. Happy

SirXaris

Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:39 am  

tarelton wrote:

What rules you started with? Very briefly 1e, then 2e. I have never moved from those.

Happy

Glad you got around to the 'formal' introduction. See you around,

Lanthorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:17 am  

First Name D.J.
    Age 31
    Location Quebec, Canada

When you started playing D&D? some years ago, but I started with Cyberpunk. Then we played homebrewed games for we did not have access to rulebooks. Then I got into D&D. After that I was into Star Wars RPG. Now I am into all three of theme writing some fictions either non-erotic or erotic.

What rules you started with? 3rd edition

Where does your Forum Nick comes from? combination of spell and aeon... which you can define as: all eternal arcane powers emanating from a being by which it can exert its action on the world.
    GreySage

Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:13 pm  

Welcome to Canonfire! Spellaeon!

It's good to see you jumping right into the discussions. Smile Hope to hear more of your opinions and ideas for the World of Greyhawk soon.

SirXaris

Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:59 am  

I thank you for the warm welcome. You will hear from ma again for sure for I like Greyhawk alot.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:06 am  

DarkHerald wrote:
    I dont know if a thread like this has been started before, but I would like to know a couple of things about the people that I chat with on the forums.

First Name? Richard
    Age? 45
    Location? Fakenham, Norfolk but play in Norwich
    When you started playing D&D? geeeessss about 83
    What rules you started with? AD&D
    where does your Forum Nick come from?
    Now that would take ages, it's been with me since junior school, the Norfolk accent pronounces it 'Bunna' but i have to say it has followed me through school, college, and into my gaming. I like it and it feels part of me.
    Back to junior school, and the other kids used to make little rhymes up and they came up with the phrase Bones in the rhyme for me, but it got warped and Bunna was born. These days only my gaming buds call me it.
    GreySage

Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:04 am  

Welcome to Canonfire! Bunner!

Jump right in and add your 2 cents to any thread that interests you. We're happy to hear any opinion that adds possibilities to our own Greyhawk campaigns. Smile

SirXaris

Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:42 pm  

Since the dark lord will more than likely find out anyway...

Name: Tyler

When you started playing D&D: Freshman year in College, 3.5e. Though I had already started playing quite a few Star Wars table top RPGs with a few friends who intrigued my mind of fantasy with roleplay. Sorry, it's no longer just in my head now~

What rules did you start with: 3.5e rules. Though I am open to different rule sets because while the fights may change the roleplay never does.

Where does your forum Nick come from?: Well from two sources, One being harry potter, I was infatuated with the naming process of Mooney, Padfoot, Wormtail, etc at the time and found my own version of those from the second source that roosted proudly in my back yard: a redtail hawk, even now that I moved from that dwelling I still go back to just say hi with raw meat. Though I have been called other things... like hairling...

Redtail
    GreySage

Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:42 am  

Welcome to Canonfire! Redtail. We're pleased to have you join our community. Smile

Feel free to jump right in and add your two cents to any forum conversation.

SirXaris

Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:54 am  

Will have a real good look around the site and try to get involved, any help in the Greyhawk world is good Happy
    Paladin

Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:00 pm  

Redtail wrote:
    Since the dark lord will more than likely find out anyway...

I have been called other things... like hairling...

Redtail

That is why you are the Hairling and I am the Dark Lord......
    MAWWWAAHAAHAHHHHH
    The Darkness Sees all......

For all the rest, "Redtail" aka Bullvyne the Barbarian (see Argon have one in my midst as well) or Aka Dagda the Deceased Druid or Ko of the Brotherhood are just some of his incarnations....
    is a "newer" member of my table. He is discovering the joys of ROLE play versus ROLL Play.....
    Paladin

Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:09 pm  

Bunner wrote:
    Will have a real good look around the site and try to get involved, any help in the Greyhawk world is good Happy

Well Welcome to THE Realm..... as an "old school" player can't hardly call you a hairling Wink ,
    So as the Dark Lord of the Shadows ,we will have to classify you a "lurker".... So quit lurking and Dive in... Laughing Wink

Leave the lurking to us shadowy figures. Cool ..... You will find a deep well of all that is Greyhawk, and many a learned Sage to guide you... Beware the Purple Lightning... Shocked
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:52 pm  

Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:49 pm  

First Name: Stuart

I started playing D&D in 1984 with the D&D red box though I also had a couple of the original D&D brown covered rules - Greyhawk and Blackmoor - which were confusing but intriguing and inspirational. I still find Greyhawk the most intriguing gameworld, probably inspired by the sheer difficultly of getting hold of world lore back in the pre-internet days (it may come as a shock to some of you out there that there was a time when the internet didn't exist!) made every bit of information that you found out special. These days I'm still obsessed with Castle Maure and its mysteries.

My nickname is taken from two sources. This first is The Beatles song, "Day Tripper" (and various punk covers). The second is a soldier described in Michael Herr's book, "Dispatches" who was described like this,

“No metaphysician ever studied Time the way he did, its components and implications, its per-second per seconds, its shadings and movement. The Space-Time continuum, Time-as-Matter, Augustinian Time: all of that would have been a piece of cake to Day Tripper, whose brain cells were arranged like jewels in the finest chronometer.”

I thought this was so cool that I stole his nickname, "Day Tripper".
    Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:34 pm  

Welcome to Canonfire Daytripper!

Happy
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:40 pm  

DayTripper72 wrote:
    ...(it may come as a shock to some of you out there that there was a time when the internet didn't exist!)...

-If you go back through the posts, you might find that you're actually one of the younger ones here (from APR 2011):

DarkHerald wrote:
    DarkHerald - Rory 38
    SirXaris - Skip 41
    Rasgon - Rip 33
    Rol-Oeste - Sergio 43
    Flint - Jeff 37
    WildCoaster - David 43
    Vonbek - Mark 44
    Ragr - Richard 44
    ChaoticPrime - Wes 29
    Chevalier - Joe 38
    Grodog - Allan 41
    Smillan_31 - Scott 45
    Warlock - Darrel 39
    Maldin - Denis 51
    MToscan - Michele 34
    The_Colorless_Mage - Carlos 41
    Garnak - Tony 38
    Thorvald - Andreas 48
    Dungeonmeister Fred 49
    Rockhaven - Damon 39
    Artalian - Jon 42
    Blakeryan - Blake 36
    Illustr8or - Shane 37
    Icarus - Krisoph 38
    Shadrach - Matt 31
    Hieden - Dave 41
    Aurdraco - Casey 37
    Mystic-Scholar - Tony 51
    Cyrusalthantas - David 40
    Rossik - Rafael 30
    Raymond - Raymond 40
    Cpip - Chris 31
    Anna - Anna 45
    Prymus - Dean 42
    Katerek - Jay 36
    TT - John 49
    Jacko - David 41

Oh. Ave!
    GreySage

Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:52 pm  

Welcome to Canonfire! DayTripper! We all hope to read more of your posts in the forums, so feel free to jump right in. Smile

Oh, and you'll notice that most of the ages in jamesdglick's post are from three years ago! You really are a young 'un. Wink

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:32 pm  

Happy

Thanks, it feels good to be amongst the young ones - I am the oldest in my local gaming group, they are mostly in their 20s and give me blank looks when I speak of Greyhawk!
    Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:56 pm  

Yikes! Yeah I have a couple new gamers like that too. I just scale back my blathering about the setting. I also am lucky enough to have a few friends who have played GH with me through the decades to take on some of the lore explanations.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:41 am  
    Hello

First Name: Mike
    Started playing: 1979, with Holmes basic (in the blue box)
    Nickname: From a DMPC we used to fill out the party in G1-3 and Q1. He died at the hands of a type V demon, if I remember correctly.
    GreySage

Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:02 pm  

Welcome to Canonfire! Therabyd.

I'm wondering if I'm pronouncing your name correctly - like 'the rabid'? Smile

Please jump into the threads and voice your opinions. We always love to hear new ideas!

SirXaris

Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:18 pm  

Thank you, Sir Xaris!

I'll definitely be participating - I'm just beginning to plan a campaign set in Bissel, Ket, and points west starting in 500 CY, so I'm sure to be asking lots of questions and for lots of advice.

I always pronounced it like "There-a-bid", but who's to say?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:16 am  

therabyd wrote:
    ...I always pronounced it like "There-a-bid", but who's to say?

-You. Laughing

therabyd wrote:
    ...I'll definitely be participating - I'm just beginning to plan a campaign set in Bissel, Ket, and points west starting in 500 CY, so I'm sure to be asking lots of questions and for lots of advice...

Wow. 500 CY? That's a little outside the mainstream! Off the top of my head, that might give the PCs are opportunity to take part in Sandorn's debacle (or maybe prevent it?).

The Bakluni west could use more discussion!

Ave!
    Novice

Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:12 pm  

Tim

Emporia, KS

Started playing around 1983/84 with Red and Blue set, but I'm not sure you can say we used the rules much.

The older I get the more questions I have, hence the nickname.
    Paladin

Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:54 am  

Therabyd and Whohuhwhat...... Welome & rejoice you have discovered the great treasure trove of the true " forgotten realm". Laughing

here you will find wise sages, great wizards , demi-godess cartographer, barbarians, artisans and purple lightning Wink

Here, like the waters of the great lake NYR DYV, the waters of knowledge are deep beyond measure.

dive in
    GreySage

Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:08 pm  

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:

here you will find wise sages, great wizards , demi-godess cartographer, barbarians, artisans and purple lightning Wink

And those who ask endless inquiries, and friendly Texans, too! Happy

Welcome aboard, newbies.

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:37 pm  

Welcome, indeed, WhoHuhWhat! Smile

SirXaris

Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:24 pm  

WhoHuhWhat wrote:
    ...but I'm not sure you can say we used the rules much.

Laughing Too funny. That probably applied to every one of us back in the day. Welcome to the site.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:28 pm  

Welcome, WhoHuhWhat, and thanks for the warm welcome, all.

jamesdglick wrote:
    Wow. 500 CY? That's a little outside the mainstream! Off the top of my head, that might give the PCs are opportunity to take part in Sandorn's debacle (or maybe prevent it?).

I don't want to derail this thread, but I wanted to start early enough that the players could "witness" the recent events of Oerth over a series of campaigns. We'll see how well that works. :)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:44 am  
    info

First Name? Jay
    Age? 48
    Location? oklahoma us
    When you started playing D&D? 1979
    What rules you started with? Chits, i remember those, i wonder if i still have mine, (from the blue box). Played first and 2nd E .
    where does your Forum Nick come from? If you played 1st E you should know, if you didn't Archmage is a very high level mu level title (wizard to the new kids) and J, first letter of my name.
    I ran a campaign in a slightly modified Greyhawk world for some friends in the 80's. I missed most of 3,3.5 and 4th ed. looking to find a local game to play in or run. I also have a character with this name. I believe he started as an elf, and was a ftr/mu. So i should be HighLord ArchmageJ :-D
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:34 am  
    Re: info

ArchmageJ wrote:
    First Name? Jay...

-Welcome aboard!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:54 pm  

First Name? Carlos
    Age? 27
    Location? Santiago, Chile
    When you started playing D&D? 1998
    What rules you started with? ad&d
    where does your Forum Nick come from? it was the first character of a dead friend It is a way to remember because it was my first DM, a archmage called Mernos
    GreySage

Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:32 am  

Welcome to Canonfire! ArchmageJ and Mernos! We're glad to have you amongst our gathering of Greyhawk enthusiasts. Smile

SirXaris

Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:49 pm  

First Name? Michael

Age? 47

Location? Wichita, Kansas

When you started playing D&D? 1976

What rules you started with? OD&D

where does your Forum Nick come from? Goth who DJ's for a living.

I lurk a lot but rarely post. Obviously I'm a big fan of Greyhawk.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:40 pm  

welcome deathsdj!! this community has the knowledge of the ages.
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:06 am  

Just a quick FYI, I have changed my forum from mheaton118 to Sheepdog. That is all.
    GreySage

Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:52 am  

Sheepdog wrote:
    Just a quick FYI, I have changed my forum from mheaton118 to Sheepdog. That is all.

Curious. Inquiring (Lanthorn) minds wanna know if you are willing... a new familiar perhaps in your house?

-Lanthorn
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:35 pm  

No. Just thought it was about time to get a forum name. It is a tribute to those who stand watch and keep us safe.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:11 pm  
    CanonFodder

First Name: Tom
    Age 28
    When you started playing D&D: about 5-6 years ago?
    What rules you started with: I was introduced to D&D via pathfinder but have since migrated to 2e and am liking it.
    where does your Forum Nick come from: Well... I wanted Tower31 being that I use it for other games, but I botched my account creation and it is no longer usable. A friend of mine looked over at what I have been reading as of late and started calling my Canon Fodder. It had a ring to it.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:17 am  

Welcome aboard! Also, check your Private Messages. Wink

Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:40 am  

Welcome to Canonfire!, CanonFodder! Smile

Don't be shy about jumping into threads with your 2 cents. We love opinions of all sorts.

SirXaris

Edit: Changed your avatar to Tower31, I see. Cool

SX

Last edited by SirXaris on Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:50 am  

Will do. Thanks for the warm welcome
    GreySage

Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:58 am  
    Re: CanonFodder

Tower31 wrote:
    What rules you started with: I was introduced to D&D via pathfinder but have since migrated to 2e and am liking it.

Another 2e convert! Huzzah!!!
    Welcome to the group, Tower31. Hope to see you prowling the 2e Forum soon.

-Lanthorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon May 11, 2015 9:06 pm  
    Aloha!

Hi everyone! I've emigrated over from ENWorld where I've been a member for a long while...I am still active there, so I guess this gives me dual citizenship?

My name is Aaron. 34. Live in Hawaii. Started playing D&D in 1988 with my friend from grade school whose older brother ran a 1e/BD&D mix-up game. Totally hooked since then. My nickname "Quickleaf" was the first character I made (rather than playing a pre-gen). I am the author of Tales of the Caliphate Nights by Paradigm Concepts for Green Ronin's True20 system.

Anyhow, glad to be a member of Canonfire :)
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue May 12, 2015 1:26 am  

Welcome aboard! Happy

Wed May 13, 2015 8:38 am  

Welcome Quickleaf! We're pleased to make your acquaintance. Many of us here are writers - amateur to professional - and love to read anything Greyhawk related you would like to contribute to the forum. Smile

SirXaris
    [ Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next]
    Page 3 of 5

Jump to: