JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Happy Needfest One & All
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Happy Needfest One & All
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:43 am  
    Happy Needfest One & All

The residents of the World of Greyhawk don't celebrate Christmas, of course, but they do have a festival of their own at this time of year - Needfest.

I recently had cause to develop the Festival of Brewfest as background to our current game but I wonder if anyone has developed Needfest at all within their own game?

What do you imagine citizens do to mark this festival? What customs and traditions might have grown up around it and are they similar / wildly different to our Yuletide / Christmas celebrations?
    GreySage

Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:59 am  

If you own a copy, "The Adventure Begins" soft cover book contains some information about the traditions of the various places in and around Greyhawk City for all the festivals.

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:28 pm  

http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Needfest
    http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Midwinter_Night
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:18 am  

This is what Needfest is all about: http://melkot.com/wogcomic/needfest2/wogstrip99intro.htm

(Okay, perhaps I am a bit biased.) Wink

Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:37 am  

Great, thanks very much everyone - useful stuff. I like my populations not to exist as mere orc-fodder but to have lives and stories of their own and things like local traditions and customs help bring villages, towns and indeed countries to life.
    When I first read The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings what struck me was the way Tolkien described the lands through which the party travelled and how not just the scenery changed but the people, the languages, the customs and very 'feel' of the place.
    I have tried to reflect this in my own campaigns since and whilst players don't always pick up on the subtle nuances which I spend hours preparing, hopefully they can at least tell the difference between being in Bissel and the Bone March.
    Smile
    Forum Moderator

Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:27 am  

Classic Needfest comic Cebrion. ;)

I always enjoy the Needfest season, but rarely have got to utilize in my campaigns. As mentioned above the holiday has been developed into quite an important part of the Flanaess, or Greyhawk City at an rate. In addition to a Tolkieny feel of realism you could also inject a Narnian sense of fun with the holiday if so inclined.
    Paladin

Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:01 pm  

Not to derail the thread, but to supplement it... Happy Holidays to All... May good fortune and Nat 20s find there way to you.
    GreySage

Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:42 pm  

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    Not to derail the thread, but to supplement it... Happy Holidays to All... May good fortune and Nat 20s find there way to you.

Full agreement to what DLG noted, including the natural 20's...unless they are for ability checks!!! Shocked

Happy holidays to all.

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:47 pm  

Merry Christmas, folks!

I've begun teaching my younger three children to play D&D (been gaming with my oldest for several years now). They are loving it. Daughter is a halfling monk, sons are an elven druid with a snow leopard animal companion and human ranger. Smile

I hope everyone else is having as much fun with their family this holiday season.

SirXaris
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: