JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Scather - Possible Spoilers
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Scather - Possible Spoilers
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:19 pm  
    Scather - Possible Spoilers

Looks like I might be running ToEE soon, so I've be going through my notes. One thing I noticed is that the sword Scather is not given an alignment. So I checked the 1e Unearthed Arcana and found no clue and the same with the 2e Magic Item Compendium. Now Fragarach, depending on which version of Gygax's telling you believe has a alignment of Chaotic Good or Lawful Good. So one could assume that Scather has the same alignment as Fragarach since the blade is given as a reward for rescuing Prince Thrommel and retrieving Fragarach. But alas I pull out my copy of Dungeon 106 where the blade is featured as part of a Critical Threat and discover it has been given a alignment of Neutral Evil. I know that it all boils down to DM fiat but I would like opinions on the matter.
    GreySage

Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:26 pm  

If it's intended to reward your PCs, it should match the alignment of one of your PC fighters.
    GreySage

Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:52 pm  

Fragarach's alignment in the DM's guide doesn't match Prince Thrommel's alignment (CG vs. LG, IIRC). It's a meta-gaming mistake by the author, or something intended, but not explained when Frank Mentzer wrote it from EGG's notes. So, it is up to every DM to reconcile that discontinuity.

Thus, Rasgon is perfectly correct when he says that you, as the DM, should give Scather an alignment appropriate to one of your PCs.

SirXaris

Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:00 am  

Quote:
    (Paul J. Stomberg)Q: In T1-4 Temple of Elemental Evil, Prince Thrommel, lawful good, is allowed access to Fragarach, a chaotic good sword of answering. The description of the sword indicates the Prince, not chaotically aligned, would be seriously harmed were he to grasp the sword. Was this simply an editorial blunder or a last jape by his kidnappers? If an error, was it the name of the sword or its alignment that was incorrect?

(Gary Gygax)A: It was an editorial error. The sword should have been designated as LG.

Problem solved!

Scather from Dungeon #106 is NEUTRAL EVIL!!! Yeah, somebody didn't do their research, as I am pretty sure goody-goody Furyondy/Veluna folks probably wouldn't be handing out a powerful blade with an alignment other than a good one, let alone one with an alignment corresponding to PURE EVIL. Oops! Laughing You may also wish to keep it and the other blades as broad swords (or the closer equivalent- longswords) as they originally were, as the blades were also arbitrarily changed to bastard swords in the article. Neutral good is an attractive option for Scather's alignment, as any good character could then use it. I made Scather chaotic good though, as the name "Scather" better associates with "edgy" chaotic goodness than it does the more even-keeled neutral goodness, which the name "Replier" seems more in tune with. Wink Didn't hurt that there was a chaotic good character in my campaigning group to use a chaotic good Scather though, which surely influenced my decision as well. You could also choose to use a different named blade instead if you prefer to assign alignments to all of the blades and then choose the one with the alignment you prefer to award, already having a particular party member recipient in mind.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: