JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Starting a new Greyhawk Campaign
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Starting a new Greyhawk Campaign
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:45 pm  
    Starting a new Greyhawk Campaign

Greetings and Salutations Worthies and Keepers of the Fiery Canon!

Tis I Leahcim the Learned back from my Planar travels... Much I have seen and will speak of another time but as I rest my weary bones by the warm hearth in my ancestral home in Rel Mord I wonder if you most noble and kind gentlefolk would regale me with the events that have transpired here in my beloved kingdom of Nyrond and the environs beyond. As a loyal Aerdian Son I wish to be prepared to aid the lands of my forefathers. Come join me in a glass of this fine Celenian wine and we will speak on matters of import whilst my manservant, Hung will prepare us a feast of rare delicacies from the planes.

Heya folks, the brass tacks of the matter is I'm about to start a new greyhawk campaign set in Nyrond. I have a host if information and there's plenty online I was just wondering if anyone here at Canonfire might suggest some notions to add to my game. Most of my players are not familiar with Greyhawk so anything is game but I want to showcase the coolness of the setting so any help you can offer would be appreciated. I wish I could narrow down what I"m looking for but at the moment it's all up in the air.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:36 am  

I suppose it depends on the era you are playing in and the type of campaign you want to play. Nyrond is a great setting that should be ripe for any type of campaign from dungeon-crawling to political intrigue. The latter is particularly relevant post-Greyhawk Wars when succession and the crippling cost of the war become real problems for Nyrond (as I recall).

There are quite a few Dungeon magazine modules set in Nyrond and of course Maure Castle is not far away in Urnst if you want a more traditional campaign.

Nyrond to me always seemed to be a kingdom past its prime with petty power struggles common but you may have a different view. Any thoughts yet on what themes you particularly want to bring out?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:41 pm  
    Re: Starting a new Greyhawk Campaign

LeahcimTheLearned wrote:
    ...I'm about to start a new greyhawk campaign set in Nyrond. I have a host if information and there's plenty online I was just wondering if anyone here at Canonfire might suggest some notions to add to my game. Most of my players are not familiar with Greyhawk so anything is game but I want to showcase the coolness of the setting so any help you can offer would be appreciated. I wish I could narrow down what I"m looking for but at the moment it's all up in the air.

-What year will the campaign begin?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:43 pm  

*Swats Typist in the head with his staff* Foolish Dolt!

My abject apologies Worthies this buffoon I've employed to manage these alien devices for me failed to make note of the time we've returned. The year is 598, the 14th day of Fireseek. I will see that Hung cuts his puff'ed cheese and green beverage, the Dew of the Mountains, back for his failure.

Yes it is hard for me at this hour of the night to not be silly. :)
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:17 pm  

LeahcimTheLearned wrote:

...The year is 598, the 14th day of Fireseek...

-I'll have to leave the details Nyrond in 598 CY to others (Flint seems ready and willing), but have you asked the players what sort of thing they're intersted? It would help narrow down the possibilities e.g. any sort of privateering/pirating would be one of the coastal towns, if you want lots of demi-human PCs, the Flinty's would be good, etc.
    GreySage

Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:52 pm  

Personally, I'd think setting the time just as the Greyhawk Wars happen would give you MORE than enough adventure ideas for Nyrond, considering it is well embroiled in that conflict...and the supplement called "The Marklands" gives ALL sorts of information on that account in Nyrond itself!

That's my vote.

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:17 am  

Lanthorn wrote:
    Personally, I'd think setting the time just as the Greyhawk Wars happen would give you MORE than enough adventure ideas for Nyrond, considering it is well embroiled in that conflict...

-Can't argue with that (the different war fronts alone have plenty of potential), but I assumed that Leahcim had his heart set on 598. Maybe not?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:54 pm  

Preferences aside I'm intent on there being the rumblings of war anyway, an exiled Aerdian Knight intent on rebuilding the Great Kingdom to its former glory, Ahlissan expansionists looking at the weakened Nyrond after the rebellion, power plays among Abyssal Aristocracy and the players former members of a thieves Guild that backed the wrong king in the rebellion with deathmarks on their heads.

That's what I have in mind anyway. it's all subject to change. :)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:47 am  

Did you want to include the results of the Living Greyhawk Nyrond campaign's storyline?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:42 am  

I know Leahcim the Learned. Trust me he comes up with some very colorful scenarios. One of the things I enjoyed most about greytalk was a conversation about The Flan Golden age among many other topics. Soon you'll see two of his articles grace the pages of the next Oerth Journal. Glad to have you back on the boards.

Later

Argon
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:54 pm  

Heya Argon!

Some of the results yeah, the Black Prince Rebellion and such. One advantage that my players don't know Greyhawk well is I don't necessarily need to use every iota. My Nyrond is as follows.

They 'won' the Greyhawk Wars, the attempt to put the pretender on the throne failed but the kingdom is weakened. Ahlissa is wanting Almor back and A Hextorian lead army has laid siege to Narsel Mendred. This Siege has all but been broken by the destruction of Lorana Kath by the Steel Maidens (Three Paladin followers of Mayaheine) and an attack by a force of Elves from the Hidden City of Mylshaeras (My own creation).

THe players will be apart of a thieves guild from Rel Mord that was on the wrong side of the political battle for the throne and are now hunted just for being members of that guild. Where they go from that point is up to them.

Anything you all can offer or think of that'd amplify or add to this scenario would be appreciated.

Oh Argon, I have done a slight write up on Leahcim if you'd be interested in reading it :)
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:49 pm  

LeahcimTheLearned wrote:
    Heya Argon!
    Oh Argon, I have done a slight write up on Leahcim if you'd be interested in reading it :)

Yes, I would be interested in reading it.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:26 am  

LeahcimTheLearned wrote:
    Heya Argon!

THe players will be apart of a thieves guild from Rel Mord that was on the wrong side of the political battle for the throne and are now hunted just for being members of that guild. Where they go from that point is up to them.

Anything you all can offer or think of that'd amplify or add to this scenario would be appreciated.

I can't think of much to add. It sounds like the campaign has plenty of room for intrigue.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:50 am  

Rogues from a thieves guild in Rel Mord. So rival guilds are licking their chops. Assassin guild? What about those businesses paying protection money to the guild. Now other guilds are going to be picking off the finances of the guild. So not only are they fighting for their survival but now they need to hold onto whatever finances they currently have. The armor's guild has not sent us a payment in three weeks we need to flex our muscles.

They show up and the Left hand guild has promised protection now the PC's have to take out the left hand in order to maintain the armor's guild as a source of income.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:30 am  

When play starts the party and the remaining members of the Violet Serpents will be in a cave near a small town well outside of Rel Mord. The 'leadership' is one of the lesser masters, and she's wounded. She oversaw the dancing halls along the river. The rest are just members. Now I have decided the party will be one 'faction' in the remnants with two other factions each wanting to use the remaining resources for their goals. One faction leader is a half elf drow who is known as 'Fish' (because her bluish skin makes her look like a dead fish) who was a river-side courtesan who catered to those with 'special' interests. The second faction is also lead by a half-elf who focused on smuggling. (I'm toying around with the idea of the two half elf npcs and one half elf player all having the same father and not know it.) So the first session will be the party trying to figure out what they want to do and how best to maneuver with the other two factions. The caves they're hiding in also has some features of interest and a few beasties for those that are more interested in direct combat or searching.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:20 pm  

I FINALLY have the party make up

An Urban Druid (race unknown)
    A Human (Oerdian) Alchemist
    A Kitsune Rogue (She's a foundling from Kara-Tur)
    A Half-Elf Bard
    a Human (Suel) Ninja (I decided the Ninja class fit the Scarlet Brotherhood)

Any Thoughts?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:50 pm  

LeahcimTheLearned wrote:
    I FINALLY have the party make up

An Urban Druid (race unknown)
    A Human (Oerdian) Alchemist
    A Kitsune Rogue (She's a foundling from Kara-Tur)
    A Half-Elf Bard
    a Human (Suel) Ninja (I decided the Ninja class fit the Scarlet Brotherhood)

Any Thoughts?

For that druid, Race Unknown? How does that work out? Or is this the human ethnicities you have listed for two of the other characters?

The Suel Ninja: Are you going with a Dragon magazine version or the OA version?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:50 am  

Hello!
    As for the unknown race, the player hasn't chosen yet.

Since we're using pathfinder rules I'm going to let the player use the Ninja base class in the Pathfinder SRD.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: