JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Expanding Slave Pits of the Undercity
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Expanding Slave Pits of the Undercity
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:55 pm  
    Expanding Slave Pits of the Undercity

Anyone familiar with the adventure "Lowdown in Highport" which was published in the last issue of Dungeon (# 221)? If you are, or even if you aren't, the adventure involves players being landed in a cove along the coast at Highport, and working their way through a series of natural caves and tunnels that connect up with a sewer tunnel. I'm not sure if the designer intended it, but if you drop the last encounter in "Lowdown in Highport", and flip either map upside down, it is simple to have the sewer tunnel be the same sewer tunnel in A1: Slave Pits of the Undercity where location 9 is in that module. It also provided a new hook for introducing the party to the A series. I'm running this combo of the 2 adventures now for my 5e group and it's going beautifully.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:48 pm  

I thought about using that adventure and that is interesting revelation about connections between the classic module and the dungeon magazine. Right now with my group I'm going to try to run, Out of the Abyss, trying to put in more Greyhawk than Faerun though...Suggestions welcomed.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:01 pm  

One of the earlier issues had another 1E adventure set after the end of the series called "The Last Slave Lord" or something similar. Throw in the "A0" module in the Against of the Slave Lords reprint, and you have three additional 1E adventures to add to the original four.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:07 pm  

I wasn't crazy about the plot of "The Last Slavelord", it was in DNG #215, but it could be easily modified. I hadn't planned on running the other modules in the series, although I was going to give the party a few reasons to go on to A2 if they wanted. Now through an unexpected turn of events due to player actions we could be skipping straight to A4. Evil Grin
    Electryc, I'd be interested in hearing how your Out of the Abyss conversion goes. I haven't decided if I want to get it. I'll have to read more about the plot-line first. So far I've just been making my own adventures although I've been stealing maps and ideas from various places. A1 is the first published adventure I'm running pretty much as-is, aside from the addition of "Lowdown in Highport."
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:57 am  
    Re: Expanding Slave Pits of the Undercity

smillan_31 wrote:
    Anyone familiar with the adventure "Lowdown in Highport" which was published in the last issue of Dungeon (# 221)? If you are, or even if you aren't, the adventure involves players being landed in a cove along the coast at Highport, and working their way through a series of natural caves and tunnels that connect up with a sewer tunnel. I'm not sure if the designer intended it, but if you drop the last encounter in "Lowdown in Highport", and flip either map upside down, it is simple to have the sewer tunnel be the same sewer tunnel in A1: Slave Pits of the Undercity where location 9 is in that module. It also provided a new hook for introducing the party to the A series. I'm running this combo of the 2 adventures now for my 5e group and it's going beautifully.

Yes, I ran my group through Lowdown In Highport about five months ago and it was a lot of fun. We are playing a straight up 5e conversion through the Slavelords series as well. They started with Danger At Darkshelf Quarry, which is an excellent module, and have just completed the upper level of A1. Lowdown In Highport is a very good segue module between the two, short and sweet. I hadn't made the upside down map connection but I had considered just joining it to the slave pits map. In the end, I decided to flesh out Highport a bit more so I left the two modules unconnected. This series is the only set of classic AD&D modules I never had the chance to run or play back in the day, so it has been a real pleasure to experience.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:58 am  
    Re: Expanding Slave Pits of the Undercity

smillan_31 wrote:

Yes, I ran my group through Lowdown In Highport about five months ago and it was a lot of fun. We are playing a straight up 5e conversion through the Slavelords series as well. They started with Danger At Darkshelf Quarry, which is an excellent module, and have just completed the upper level of A1. Lowdown In Highport is a very good segue module between the two, short and sweet. I hadn't made the upside down map connection but I had considered just joining it to the slave pits map. In the end, I decided to flesh out Highport a bit more so I left the two modules unconnected. This series is the only set of classic AD&D modules I never had the chance to run or play back in the day, so it has been a real pleasure to experience. Especially with the addition of A0 and Lowdown In Highport.

EDIT: I do have The Last Slavelord as well, but have not yet read it. I'm keeping it on the back burner and will just see how the campaign unfolds. If it makes for a good finale to the series then I'll use it, but who knows? My players may be sick and tired of slavelord shenanigans by the time they finish A4.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: