Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The daughter/son of Zilchus and Sotillion?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The daughter/son of Zilchus and Sotillion?

offspring's alignment
    LG
    0%
     0%  [ 0 ]
    LN
    20%
     20%  [ 1 ]
    LE
    0%
     0%  [ 0 ]
    NG
    0%
     0%  [ 0 ]
    N
    60%
     60%  [ 3 ]
    NE
    0%
     0%  [ 0 ]
    CG
    0%
     0%  [ 0 ]
    CN
    20%
     20%  [ 1 ]
    CE
    0%
     0%  [ 0 ]
    Total Votes : 5

Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:47 pm  
    The daughter/son of Zilchus and Sotillion?

If Zilchus and Sotillion had a baby, it would be a new god, obviously, but what sort of a god should he be? Portfolio?

I have two options for this in my campaign, but I can't decide.
    GreySage

Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:39 pm  

The free sourcebook Petty Gods has a number of deities in it that I think would work well as the children of Zilchus and Sotillion.

Here are two that are particularly appropriate, I think:

Abondiance, goddess of ephemeral wealth. Neutral. Spoilt daughter of Zilchus and Sotillion.

Aurus Argentus, god of currency debasement. Neutral. A renegade son of Zilchus and Sotillion.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:25 pm  

Hmm, that is a good tip, Rasgon. Thank you. I just feel that those gods would not fit Greyhawk well.

Usually the Greyhawk deities fill some niche that is actually useful. Those deities seem a bit comical. Also, the deities rarely have anything to do with their parents' portfolios.

How about this?

FLOVAUS
    Titles: The Holy Polarization, The Master of Doom and Success
    Home Plane: Ysgard (CG)
    Power Level: Demigod
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Portfolio: Exceeding Oneself, Complete Successes, Complete Failures, Fumbles
    Domains: Chaos, Luck, Protection
    Superior: Olidammara

Flovaus is an Oeridian god of Complete Successes, Complete Failures, Fumbles and Exceeding Oneself. His holy symbol is large disc. The other side of the disc displays a humanlike figure tripping over a rock in a comical manner. The other side has a bolt, arrow or dart in the middle of bullseye.

Description

Flovaus is only a baby at the moment and is being taken care of by his mother, Sotillion, and a wide range of celestial nannies.

Relationship

Flavous is the baby boy of Sotillion and Zilchus. His godfather is Olidammara. Together these gods give Flovaus’s worshippers their powers. This divine pact is so strong that Flovaus is effectively a demigod.

Realm

He resides at the Green Fields on Ysgard’s first lay. Flovaus’s parents are preparing his own realm in Ysgard.

Dogma

Flovaus’s followers are urged to do better than they actually could do, and this can be achieved through luck and favorable circumstances. If they fail badly, it’s ok, and if they fail miserably, it’s even better. The basic idea is that only great successes and great failures teach us something. Succeeding and failing itself teaches little. Steady routine teaches nothing and must be avoided. When a follower fails or succeeds spectacularly, they are expected to contemplate, learn something from the experience and pray quietly for a brief moment.

Flovaus doesn’t endorse any dogma as of yet.

Worshippers

It’s still too soon to say anything about Flovaus’s worshippers. Some of the clergy members of Olidammara, Zilchus and Sotillion encourage joining Flovaus’s faith, even though few actually do.

Clergy

The favored weapons of Flovaus’s clerics are two-bladed swords.

Olidammara, Zilchus and Sotillion have promised that the first powerful cleric of each of the nine geopolitical territories to turn to Flovaus’s faith will be (modestly) rewarded by the local clergies of the parent gods and the godfather god.

Last edited by Sutemi on Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Forum Moderator

Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:18 pm  

This is such a strange topic, but I love it Sutemi. Looks like Flovaus is gonna be a notorious demigod. I'd love to see what other deific progeny might turn out to be.

Also I like the addition of Olidammara as the grandfather. Well done. Incidentally though, his uncle Kurell might be an influence as well?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:54 pm  

Flovaus possible mottos:

Go big or go home.
    All in!
    Anything worth doing is worth over doing
    GreySage

Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:08 am  

Flavaus sounds like a very fun god. Cool

Of course, critical hits should be within his purview.

Depending upon which edition of the game one is playing, his followers should have access to special abilities/feats/etc. that increase the chance for critical hits and fumbles. Wild magic should be something of which he approves. Bonuses granted to saves made when attempting dangerous feats, like jumping over dangerous distances.

Like I said, sounds fun! Happy

SirXaris

Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:48 am  

But what does Norebo think?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:45 am  

rasgon wrote:
    But what does Norebo think?

Taking risks is not necessarily the same thing as failing or succeeding completely. I don't know.

In my view, the followers of Norebo take great risks to receive great rewards. The followers of Flovaus can basically do anything they want, but only the great successes and great failures really count. I can't see the followers of Norebo being "normal" people, like smiths for instance. A smith who follows Flovaus would find every masterpiece (beyond of or at limits of his/her skills) and every novice mistake a sign, a lesson, from the god. I can't see Norebo's followers doing that. It's too bad that Norebo's dogma hasn't been clearly described... But they are rolling their die and making their bets, which is something that doesn't necessarily concern Flovaus.

Please tell me if you disagree!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:19 pm  

mortellan wrote:
    I'd love to see what other deific progeny might turn out to be,

I have to honest and admit that I didn't understand this.
    Do you mean that...
    ...what the children of other gods might look like?
    ...what other options are there to be the child of Zilchus and Sotillion?

I can't answer the first one, but I've been thinking that the child of Zilchus and Sotillion could be a god of strategy, a god of good-aligned monsters (of all races) or a god of fumbles and criticals, as it is in the version I've presented.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:05 pm  

quote="rasgon"]The free sourcebook Petty Gods has a number of deities in it that I think would work well as the children of Zilchus and Sotillion.

Abondiance, goddess of ephemeral wealth. Neutral. Spoilt daughter of Zilchus and Sotillion.

Aurus Argentus, god of currency debasement. Neutral. A renegade son of Zilchus and Sotillion.[/quote]

-Any children of Sotillon who don't turn out to be ne'er do wells? Laughing

Sutemi wrote:
    ...I just feel that those gods would not fit Greyhawk well.

Usually the Greyhawk deities fill some niche that is actually useful. Those deities seem a bit comical...

-The Romans had a lot of gods like that. The one that sticks in my mind is Cloacina, goddess of sewers. Although maybe a place for someone like her in Greyhawk City?

Aurus Argentus would have a place in the late, not-so Great Kingdom, and Abondiance could fit in anywhere. Maybe a hero-deities or quasi-deities?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:05 pm  

jamesdglick wrote:
    The Romans had a lot of gods like that. The one that sticks in my mind is Cloacina, goddess of sewers. Although maybe a place for someone like her in Greyhawk City?

Yep, I always thought the Oeridians had a lot of agricultural deities until I found out about the various Roman agricultural deities. I've been in favor of more gods, although many people seem to want to cut down the number of gods, which I get, at least because now my players are probably terribly confused about all the gods. I probably introduce them to at least one new god or saint every couple of sessions. Not literally, of course, they just learn of the god's existence in some way that's relevant to the game.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:39 am  

smillan_31 wrote:

...I've been in favor of more gods, although many people seem to want to cut down the number of gods...

-The Flanaess doesn't need any more Lesser-Greater deities, but could use plenty more demi- and hero-deities.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:20 am  

Alignment?: ANY

Portfolio?: ANY

Children of gods rarely follow in their parents footsteps. For example, Zeus' divine children are many and varied in their backgrounds, representing wisdom, war, revel, fate, etc. Not one of them is a god of thunder & lightning + mother's qualities.

Also, gods are often "born" fully formed and empowered. The story could also be that the child was "born long ago", and already had a place in the lore of both churches, but was only recently was given the responsibility of representing a portfolio of powers of their own.

You really can't go wrong no matter what you do.

Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:24 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    Alignment?: ANY

Portfolio?: ANY

Children of gods rarely follow in their parents footsteps. For example, Zeus' divine children are many and varied in their backgrounds, representing wisdom, war, revel, fate, etc. Not one of them is a god of thunder & lightning + mother's qualities.

Also, gods are often "born" fully formed and empowered. The story could also be that the child was "born long ago", and already had a place in the lore of both churches, but was only recently was given the responsibility of representing a portfolio of powers of their own.

You really can't go wrong no matter what you do.

Thanks, but we can still have some brainstorming about the subject. For instance, rasgon's note that the God of Complete Failures and Successes might be somewhat overlapping with Norebo's portfolio (I hope I'm not putting words into his mouth) left we thinking. That was a good point!
    GreySage

Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:19 pm  

It's okay to have gods with overlapping portfolios, though. Most of the Suel pantheon overlaps with the Flan and Oeridian gods to some degree (Xerbo and Procan, Phaulkon and Velnius, Lydia and Pholtus, Wee Jas and Boccob and Nerull, etc.). It just seems to be a good idea to consider how the overlapping gods react to this overlap. Are they allies? Rivals? Or do they studiously ignore one another's existence? Would Norebo try to kidnap the baby and raise it as his own, try to kill or imprison the baby, ignore the baby, or blame the parents?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:44 pm  

Sutemi wrote:

Thanks, but we can still have some brainstorming about the subject. For instance, rasgon's note that the God of Complete Failures and Successes might be somewhat overlapping with Norebo's portfolio (I hope I'm not putting words into his mouth) left we thinking. That was a good point!

It can also overlap with Ralishaz (great success being as unexpected/unlooked for as great failure) and, as rasgon mentions, some overlapping is not a big deal. There are many examples of that as well. For instance, many of Poseidon's children are minor gods of things related to the sea/water, but this isn't some sort of defining precedent for the powers of divine children- all things are possible, which is my point. Wink

Considering a combination though, just for fun, the godling could be the patron of debutantes/trust fund babies. She might look a a little bit something like THIS. I think she would have to be Chaotic Neutral because there is just no telling what she will do, and Wee Jas would, of course, hate her on principle. Laughing

More seriously, staying with a combination effect, the godling could be a patron of greed and ostentation, with an alignment of Chaotic Neutral or even Chaotic Evil, depending on how dark you want to go with them.

Or you could take different tact and go with something simply pleasing to both parents, like the godling being a craft god who makes beautiful things (often for his/her parents), which ties into both the mercantile and creature comforts aspects of the parents. And so the godling is a patron of all those who craft things which are not only practical, but also beautiful. Followers might be known for making even the most simple of things very ornate/finely wrought.

Godling: "Ma-ma! Da-da! I do'd it!"

Sotillion: "My! What a beautifully carved phostwood picture frame you have made! And it even has macaroni and glitter on it. Mommy is going to put it on the refrigerator door right now!"

Zilchus. "Hmm. Not bad. I bet I could sell that. How fast can you make them?"

Yep. That's how it would go down. Laughing

Last edited by Cebrion on Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:19 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    It's okay to have gods with overlapping portfolios, though. Most of the Suel pantheon overlaps with the Flan and Oeridian gods to some degree (Xerbo and Procan, Phaulkon and Velnius, Lydia and Pholtus, Wee Jas and Boccob and Nerull, etc.). It just seems to be a good idea to consider how the overlapping gods react to this overlap. Are they allies? Rivals? Or do they studiously ignore one another's existence? Would Norebo try to kidnap the baby and raise it as his own, try to kill or imprison the baby, ignore the baby, or blame the parents?

Ah, ok, I misunderstood you. I will certainly consider that, since they are all CN and Sotillion is CG some craziness might occur :-D Thanks!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:24 pm  

Cebrion wrote:
    Considering a combination though, just for fun, the godling could be the patron of debutantes/trust fund babies. She might look a a little bit something like THIS. I think she would have to be Chaotic Neutral because there is just no telling what she will do, and Wee Jas would, of course, hate her on principle. Laughing
    This is brilliant, though given Zilchus's portrayal in W.O.G. Ivanka would work also. I'm seeing a celestial teacup Chihuahua servitor Wink
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:27 am  

rasgon wrote:
    The free sourcebook Petty Gods has a number of deities in it that I think would work well as the children of Zilchus and Sotillion.

Aurus Argentus, god of currency debasement. Neutral. A renegade son of Zilchus and Sotillion.

Excellent tip, indeed!

I am considering using much of Petty Gods the next time I run a Greyhawk campaign.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:28 am  

rasgon wrote:

Excellent tip, indeed!

I am considering using much of Petty Gods the next time I run a Greyhawk campaign.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: