Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Estes lore, Norton lore, etc.
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Estes lore, Norton lore, etc.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:54 pm  
    Estes lore, Norton lore, etc.

Can somebody give me a summary of the lore (whatever one thinks of its canonical status) from the Rose Estes GH novels?

What about Quag Keep (Andre Norton)?

Other GH authors?

I do not care about spoilers, but I am looking for a list of lore items rather than reviews of books.

Thanks.
    GreySage

Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:14 am  

Here are Erik Mona's notes on the subject of Quag Keep: http://web.archive.org/web/20041209145725/http://www.tc.umn.edu/~monax002/Council/resources/novels/loreqk.html

Here's his gallery of other novels: http://web.archive.org/web/20041229174308/http://www.tc.umn.edu/~monax002/Council/resources/novels/novels.html

Here are Chris Siren's notes on the Gord novels: https://web.archive.org/web/20150214220630/http://home.comcast.net/~chris.s/gordmain.html
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:04 am  

Coolios. Thanks, Rasgon.
    GreySage

Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:32 am  

And although it's not credited, Here's a list of obscure Greyhawk gods by Erik Mona, including the Quag Keep gods:

Quote:
    Landron: God of Order, Winds and the Seasons, Landron has fallen out of favor with the people of the Flanaess and now enjoys worship in only large centers of religion, such as Innspa. He is a lesser power and LN. (For more information regarding Landron, see "Quag Keep," by Andre Norton)

Om: A little known lesser power devoted to patterns and totality of action, the followers of Om preach a form of predestination in that all mortals enact the plans of the gods. Therefore, free will is not honored by this deity or his ascetic followers. In my campaign, Om is N. (For more, though not much more, see "Quag Keep")
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:54 am  

rasgon wrote:
    And although it's not credited, Here's a list of obscure Greyhawk gods by Erik Mona, including the Quag Keep gods:

Quote:
    Landron: God of Order, Winds and the Seasons, Landron has fallen out of favor with the people of the Flanaess and now enjoys worship in only large centers of religion, such as Innspa. He is a lesser power and LN. (For more information regarding Landron, see "Quag Keep," by Andre Norton)

Om: A little known lesser power devoted to patterns and totality of action, the followers of Om preach a form of predestination in that all mortals enact the plans of the gods. Therefore, free will is not honored by this deity or his ascetic followers. In my campaign, Om is N. (For more, though not much more, see "Quag Keep")

Nice.

I once made a cleric of Dalt for a game, but it didn't end up happening. Or maybe I just lost touch with the DM.

I am a fan of adding demigods, godlings, deified heroes and saints, civic deities, etc to the setting.
    GreySage

Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:55 pm  

There's some speculation in this thread about reconciling the plot of Rose Estes' novel Master Wolf with canon by treating the Iuz who serves as that book's antagonist (who is killed at the end of the novel) as one of the false Iuzes mentioned in the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer (which I think was probably the intent of that line in the LGG).

Here's a blog post detailing the World of Greyhawk as it was, more or less, when Andre Norton was writing Quag Keep. Some of the lands mentioned in that novel that don't exist in the modern Flanaess, such as the Duchy of Maritz, appear on that map.

There's been some discussion of the T.H. Lain novels over at the Piazza, under the New Koratia tag.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:42 am  

rasgon wrote:
    ...Here's a blog post detailing the World of Greyhawk as it was, more or less, when Andre Norton was writing Quag Keep. Some of the lands mentioned in that novel that don't exist in the modern Flanaess, such as the Duchy of Maritz, appear on that map...

-If you want to retcon it, the Duchy of Maritz could be an old name for the Sea Barons (or part of it).

BTW, if you can find Jon Peterson's Playing at the World, read it. It actually rises to the level of serious academic research. Amazing.
    GreySage

Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:49 pm  

There's a little discussion about spellcasters among the Wolf Nomads in this thread which makes reference to Rose Estes novel Master Wolf.

Here's another thread about the Duchy of Maritz.

Here's another thread on Quag Keep.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: