JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Henchmen compensation
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Henchmen compensation
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:42 pm  
    Henchmen compensation

What's the standard monthly salary for henchmen? I think going back to 1st edition it was 100 gp per level of the henchman, but that may have changed for later editions.
    Paladin

Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:20 pm  

correct... for 1e anyway (See DMG p25 under PC Expenses)

2e PHB p 115-115 details varied costs up to and including a portion of treasure or payment of ransom demands as well as fundamental needs such as pay and shelter.

In 3.5 its abit more varied since it subdivides "friends" into Allies, Cohorts, Followers, Hirelings, etc. And that cost could vary based on PC Reputation, and feats (Leadership for example) see DMG3.5e p 104-128

DLG
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:58 am  

In 5e they specify 2 gp a day, so that's about the standard for your basic mercenary equivalent to a guard. I usually negotiate these as part of the roleplaying. The mercs my party hired to go into Highport for Slave Pits of the Undercity got 50 gp each for a job that was estimated to take about 2 weeks (most of it travel time), but with some added danger. With henchmen though, that implies a more permanent position. I make their monthly pay a little below market rate, but there are the added benefits of being attached to a party of famous and powerful heroes.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:59 am  

Thanks guys. I play 2nd edition mostly so I'll stick to 1st and 2nd edition rules for henchmen, but I think it's interesting how later additions changed the rules a bit. At 100 gp a level a month it gets to be pretty expensive to have even two or three henchmen, especially if they are 5th level and higher.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: