JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Races of the Wild - GH Caution
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Races of the Wild - GH Caution
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:16 pm  
    Races of the Wild - GH Caution

Another new 3E product. Discusses elves, halflings and the new (and unfortunately named) Raptorians. There is the usual scattering of Greyhawk references, thus my interest.

Having purchased this book and given it a once over, I caution anyone thinking of buying the book. From a GH perspective, it is nearly worthless. From a 3E standpoint, it is the worst of the Races of X series. IMO.

Buyer be ware.

Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:37 pm  

Actually the information on the Catfolk was useful. With very minor environmental adaptation they could fill a nice place within the clans of the Tiger Nomads. The rumors of lycanthropy within this land might simply be a case of erroneous information. You get the picture!

For me, this book added a new race for PC and NPC fun.

If you have the Minatures Handbook, you have about half the word-count on the Catfolk (2 pages vs 4 pages). You don't need to buy Races of the Wild for this unless you want every word.

Unfortunately, I otherwise agree with GVD's accessment.
    Borrow it.

Cheers
    Master Greytalker

Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:14 pm  

Once again I think GVD is being too nice.
    Not only is the content weak, but it is excessively padded as well.
    It seems they can indeed run out of stuff to print and did, resorting to throwing anything out there to fill the page count.
    Or did they pull half of it for one of the environment series books at the last minute? Who knows anymore.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:28 am  

GVD, I think you're right about this being the worst of the "Races" books. The Elves info seemed rehashed somehow. The Halflings turned into parasitic gypsies. And the Raptorians Confused are pretty much worthless to your typical D&D party. A nocturnal glider who is basically programmed to leave the party at 5th level. That's nice.

By the way, if they are Raptorians, why is their language Tuilvilanuue? (Had to look that one up for spelling) Why not... I dunno... Raptorian?

I think a better job was done with the Avariel out of "Races of Faerun" than the Raptorians. Not that the Avariel were done perfectly or anything like that, just better than the Raptorians.

Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:12 am  

Thanks to all who made a mention about this one. The hubby and I passed RotW just yesterday while out grabbing Dungeon 120, and gave pause thinking of buying it. We kept going but made mention last night about possibly picking it up this week sometime. I think I'll follow Skech's advice and borrow. Cool
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: