Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Knights of the Hart.
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Knights of the Hart.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:08 pm  
    Knights of the Hart.

Hello All…
    I’m developing a story that deals with the Knights of the Hart. I don’t own a lot of Greyhawk source books. What I’m looking for is the names of the Knights in charge, my game is before the Greyhawk Wars. What title of rank do they use and any other helpful information. Some ideas I had was to set them up like the Knights of Solamnia, in rank and title only. I realize both Knighthoods are quite different. So if some one could give me some names I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you. Smile
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:49 pm  

According to the Markland- The Knights of the Order of the Hart is an organization whos goal is to ensure that the three good aligned lands of Furyondy, Highfolk,and Veluna rettain their freedom, alliance,and purpose.The Knights have no formal leader and are free to associate with other Knightly Branches as thier conscience and honor direct. The Knights protective role surrounds fund gathering to support the build up of defences such as, castles, moats, stockades, palisade walls, & watchtowers.
    There are three Branched of the Order of Knights of the Hart.
    1) Knights of Furyondy-Some questions have arisen about the true # of Knights of this Branch. The Marklands refrence that there are 150 surviving members after the war and that nearly 50 were slain. Mostly concerned with protecting Furyondy. They are power land owners
    2)Knights of Veluna-There are 70 member in this branch, the large magority powerful fighters 70% 7th lv. or higher.
    3)Knights of the High Forest- Elves only they nurmberd at 30

Sir Kipeien Rahlden 7th Lv. Ft is the only Knight of the Hart whos stats are given in the Marklands.
    There is however a refrence to a Lemajen Sterrick from the Ashes Campaign Book( I am too lazy to pull it out) which may have info.

I have always enjoyed the concept of the Order but have never detailed the Knights individualy. I see a Knight developing a stronghold and then devoting most of his time to his support staff and residents. A Knight will have specific relatioships, freinds,enemines, and alliances depending on past adventures, trade, marriage, and religion.

I have incoperated the material from the Castles box set which has great infromation on Castle Hart. I use it as a main hub for Knightly stragitc planning, summoned meeting, religious cermonies, festivals, and celebrations. Count Solan Gladwell Paladin 11 lv. is the Lord of Castle Hart.
    I am intrested in the rank/title of the Knights of Solamnia. Could you post anything further on this ?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:05 am  

Don't worry about the Knights of Salami, er, Solamnia. Like much of Dragonlance, they are rather simplified and straight jacketed.

Basically, there are the Knights of the Crown who are glorified fighters. One can easily remain one for the entirety of one's career. One can also progress to Knight of the Sword, who are sort of the order's chaplains. Originally Dragonlance had no paladins (don't know about the 3e/3.5 stuff) and these filled that role. The highest order are the Knights of the Rose, who originally continued to develop all of teh abilities they gained from progressing through the previous two orders.

The 3e/3.5 versions are poorly designed prestige classes. The requirements for the higher orders include levels in the lower ones. This is in direct violation of the rules for prestige class design and there is really no reason to word the requirements as such. Special requirements of group affiliaton and approval work so much better.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:47 pm  

What would be rank titles for the Knights? And is it true most Knights would not be Paladins because of the way the order is set up.
    Thanks Nelson
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:41 am  

As far as Knights of the Hart, I do not believe they have a complicated rank structure. Each knight fields his own retinue of men at arms and the knights select from among themselves a "greatest among equals" to lead a specific campaign. Who this is is probably strongly tied to who among the knights present is the most powerful politically, or possibly the knight who sponsored the current endeavor. My thought is that there just aren't enough Knights of the Hart to warrant a complex rank system.

And thus we have the roots of some great political type role-playing. In-fighting, power struggles and all that.
    Master Greytalker

Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:32 am  

The Knights of the Hart are a very independant organization, the three branches have their own concerns and priorities, although given the threat of Iuz and the Vesve cooperation is increasing but within the various branches members aren't bound too support anyone.

It is strictly a matter of the crisis involved and the persuasive ability of the knights behind certain campaigns, if the threat was grave enough, obviously support would be high but for questionable objectives support dwindles and for off the wall ideas like Knights of the high forest leaving the Vesve to fight in the shield lands, expect no one too appear and the knight who suggested it being branded a fool.

As I read the Knights of Hart most are Fighters but the Veluna branch has some Fighter/Clerics and the High Forest has some Fighter/ Mages.

IMO Paladins tend too choose martial orders tied to the Church rather than nationalistic knightly orders like the Knights of the Hart however if Paladin / knights exist the obvious branch too place them would be the Veluna branch.

my 2 coppers
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:57 am  

I want to thank all of you for your opinions and advice it has been very helpful. I have one question. Where on the old maps is castle Hart located?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:19 pm  

The "old" map of castle Hart is detailed in the Castles Box Set printed many moons ago.
    The location of the castle is set on the hex where the Vang and the Crytal rivers meet.
    Port Valor lies due south of the main castle.
    Castle Hart was compleatly looked over by Carl Sargent.
    There wasa written article which destroy the Castle by submerging it from the UnderDark.
    I however continue to use the Castle as a bastalion of good.
    In my Camp of the Hart Paladins are rare in Furyondy, associated with the church of ST. Cuthbert, very rare with the knights of the high forest, and mostly likely encounted within Veluna supporting Rao.
    Further Knights include.
    Sharnalem 11th Lv. Ranger/ Swanmay Knight of Furyondy.
    Rafendyl, Gildentongue" 11Th Lv. Bard 1/2 Elf, Many friends with Knights of the Hart, Among others.
    Cernellyll 9th Lv. Elven FT. Knight of the High Forest.

Sorry for not includung them in my first post. Embarassed

I have enjoyed the information and a insight. Cool
    Master Greytalker

Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:14 pm  

Starbreaker, I appreciate the list of Knights you sent and the work it took to find them. It would be more useful if you would at least cite the source, and even better, the page number.

The FtA Campaign Book (pp. 69-71) describes Sir Lemajen Sterrich, Knight of Furyondy, Ranger 10.

Originally, the WoG set did not specifiy the Knights orginization.

Castle Hart detailed the organization but has been ignored by future works - it is orphaned canon.

Greyhawk Wars presented the Knights as a political organization originally subservient to the king but grown more independent over the years. GW suggests that the Order may have had a specific head (Lord Throstin).

Marklands/FtA presented the Order as having little rank or internal structure, but did suggest that it acted collectively. For example, Sir Lemajen works in Greyhawk City raising funds for the Order itself - thus the members are not completely independent, and their must be some sort of governing body that decides how this money is spent.

My own works on Canonfire detail the early history of the Knights and the complete composition of the High Forest Branch. I wrote an article before the release of GW giving the Knights part of Furyondy and a very hierarchical organization. This used to be hosted at the Codex of Greyhawk but is not currently available in its entirety on the web, just a few excerpted quotes on http://skitten.best.vwh.net/campaign/campaign21.html
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: