JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Famous religious figures of Oerth
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Famous religious figures of Oerth
    GreySage

Tue May 24, 2016 5:02 pm  
    Famous religious figures of Oerth

Al'Akbar. Most exalted high priest of the Paynims, founder of Ekbir. (DMG, LGG)

Saint Ardtan. A paladin of Pelor, martyred defending a dwarven stronghold against vampires. (Weapons of Legacy)

Arnd of Tdon. Ancient high priest of Heironeous, wearer of the Invulnerable Coat. Overthrew the tyrant Virtos. Established the first order of paladins of Heironeous. (DMG, Book of Artifacts)

Azmarender. Author of the Twelve and Seven Precepts of the Knights of the Watch. (LGG)

Saint Bane the Scourger. Cleric of Pelor, slayer of Khuul the Witch-Ghoul (Dragon #79).

Saint Benedor. A famous foe of Saint Kargoth. (Dragon #290-291, Dungeon#306).

St. Cuthbert. A famous priest turned deity who spread the virtues of common sense, truth, forthrightness, wisdom, dedication, and zeal.

Saint Cyril the Relentless. Founder of the Council of Nine in the Pale. (LGG, Dragon #79)

Daoud. A philosopher-pasha of Tusmit turned mendicant preacher of Istus.

Saint Eleador the Survivor. A prophet, helped prevent the freeing of a great evil. (Dragon #79).

Dahlver-Nar. Associated with the Teeth of Dahlver-Nar relic. The most powerful cleric known to history, given special powers by the gods themselves. (DMG)

Edoira. Priest of Rao, established the Edoiran Compact (Scourge of the Slave Lords)

Saint Ferrante. Legendary prophet of Heironeous in ancient Kingdom of Thalland circa 300 years before the founding of the Great Kingdom. (Bastion of Faith)

Green Lady. A migrations-era priestess of Wee Jas. (Dungeon #124)

Saint Handraleo the Swift, a paladin of Heironeous. (Dragon #293)

Herkluth. The priest who originally spread the worship of St. Cuthbert to the Duchy of Urnst (Treasures of Greyhawk).

Incarum, a deva of Rao, author of the Book of Incarum. (Dungeon #41)

Arbinget Ivenay. A paladin of Heironeous, founder of the Order of the Chalice 1,223 years ago (Player's Handbook II).

Saint Jalnir the Gentle. Half-orc priest of Pelor (Dragon #293).

Saint Kargoth. First of the Death Knights. (Dragon #79)

Krevell. A dreaded priest of Nerull (Ivid the Undying). Owner of the Mace and Talisman.

Malleus. A cleric of Pelor, founder of the Holy Circle of the Light of Faith, an order opposed to arcane magic (Weapons of Legacy).

Ohjos. Led the Cult of the Black Flame a century ago (Baltron's Beacon).

Saint Pentival. Ancient paladin of Pelor, legendary foe of Acererak (Dungeon #153)

Seamus. An early priest of St. Cuthbert, martyred by the Covenant of Ur (DD3 Fortress of the Yuan-ti).

Tephos. Heretical prophet of Pelor. She preached communal ownership of property and abolishment of the priesthood. Author of In the Sun Father's Hand. (Dragon #346)

Tomal. A solar in the service of Heironeous. Possibly (it's unclear) his consort and the mother of his daughter, the goddess-angel Chalice. (Player's Handbook II)

Ulm. A saint, associated with the Robe of Ulm and other relics (Ravager of Time)
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue May 24, 2016 7:08 pm  

Cerenoc (LN male human fighter 9/expert 8; severed right hand). Proprietor of the Nine of Swords, a famous sword shop in the Artisan's Quarter in the Free City of Greyhawk, the pommelstone of his longsword allows him to directly communicate with his patron. (LGJ #2)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed May 25, 2016 6:23 am  

I am assuming you do not want a recitation of mortals who became divine. (Though I did see Daoud on the list, and he has been identified as a deity.) Otherwise, Joyhdee, Daern, Vecna, Kyuss and many of the hero and quasi-deities are needed.

But, then again, divine ascension might very well be the definition of having been religiously significant.
    GreySage

Wed May 25, 2016 7:08 am  

There are no real rules to this list. Originally I was trying specifically to generate a list of characters that were the founders of major religious movements or schisms, the equivalents of Paul, Martin Luther, John Calvin, Muhammad, etc. as sort of an answer to the question "who wrote the major holy books that PC clerics read?" But not everyone on this list qualifies; I don't think St. Bane is associated with any religious movement (anti-undeadism?), so in part it's just a list of saints. You're right that characters like Vecna and Rudd could be added, as well as more contemporary figures like Canon Hazen and Spidasa. Or Tavish the Great in connection with his status in Kelanen's faith.

Mainly I wanted a list of more obscure figures for the sake of reference.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed May 25, 2016 7:34 am  

Emasstus Carcosa, Patriarch of Pholtus in Rauxes (Ivid the Undying, page 5, and a Dragon Magazine News From the Flanaess article)
    Cleric of Pholtus (not the Pale branch) who pronounced heresy upon the Overking. Additionally, he called upon other good faiths to ally and oppose Ivid. Ecumenism in a Pholtan is rather rare.

Edited to add "Patriarch of Pholtus in Rauxes" title and page number for Ivid the Undying reference.

Last edited by A-Baneful-Backfire on Wed May 25, 2016 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed May 25, 2016 9:21 am  

As always GREAT Stuff!!!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri May 27, 2016 9:29 am  
    Re: Famous religious figures of Oerth

rasgon wrote:
    ...Saint Ferrante. Legendary prophet of Heironeous in ancient Kingdom of Thalland circa 300 years before the founding of the Great Kingdom. (Bastion of Faith)...

-Also mentioned in the Core Beliefs article on Heironeous in Dragon #354 (?)...

rasgon wrote:
    ...Green Lady. A migrations-era priestess of Wee Jas. (Dungeon #124)...

-Originally mentioned in the Doomgrinder module, although it was left open as to whether or not she was real.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri May 27, 2016 11:25 am  

Hey, whatever happened to Kevont, the Prelate of Almor?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri May 27, 2016 5:51 pm  

Ajira, Paladin of Pelor. Performed many great miracles across the Flanaess in the name of his patron. Upon death, his mace became a holy relic of the faith. (Dragon #346)

-- K.

[Edited to omit previously mentioned material]
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:21 pm  

Thanks for this. These kind of threads are totally the reason I still haunt this forum. I think some of the religious factions make for great background stories for characters and interesting plot devices for campaigns.

What would be great would be to see a list of key figures by deity, where they reside, their relationship to the official church etc. Perhaps I will one day find the time to do an article that does that for one specific deity at a time. I can live in hope.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:40 pm  

Phalastar wrote:
    Thanks for this. These kind of threads are totally the reason I still haunt this forum.
    Quoted, for truth.

I wish I knew a saint to add to the list.
    Seems everyone has already done the research that covered the ones I knew.
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    GreySage

Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:45 pm  

Some demihuman evangelists:

Larian Starshine, priest of Corellon Larethian. He is credited with the elven story of creation in The Complete Book of Elves.

Marak Golden-Hammer. The author of the first dwarven creation myth in The Complete Book of Dwarves, which tells the story of the dwarves' creation by the Maker and of the creation of the monstrous races by the god of Evil, of the creation of the other races by other gods and of the awakening of the dragons.

Narvil, author of the Scrolls of Narvil in The Complete Book of Dwarves. In his version, the Creator who forged the world has been imprisoned by the lesser gods. Only dwarves and dragons were made by the Creator; other races are inferior imitations of the Creator's work.

Or-Kazil, a dwarven poet and mystic. (Complete Book of Dwarves). Would be appropriate as a sage of Dumadan.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:32 am  

In a post three or four years ago, I posited that Hendrenn Halgood (town in Nyrond, I think) was likely named after a local saint or religious hero - Halig-good = holy-good in Anglo-Saxon.
    GreySage

Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:28 am  

Chevalier wrote:
    In a post three or four years ago, I posited that Hendrenn Halgood (town in Nyrond, I think) was likely named after a local saint or religious hero - Halig-good = holy-good in Anglo-Saxon.

Ha! I hadn't made that connection, Chevalier. Thanks for pointing it out.

I used several Old English/Anglo-Saxon words as names in Agnosco Adventum (cf. The Canonfire! Chronicles). Specifically, your reference above brought to mind a magical dagger I named 'Haligast' as a tongue-in-cheek joke. It was a +3 Holy, Ghost-touched dagger. Wink

SirXaris

Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:32 pm  

Santiago (Dungeon #80), the patron saint of distant Guadalante, thought to be south of Hepmonaland. Santiago was martyred 500 years ago when he refused to recant his unorthodox views on Pholtus. Since then, Santiago's ideas have been accepted as official church doctrine and his crimes posthumously absolved. A relic, the Cup of Santiago, is associated with him.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:18 am  

rasgon wrote:
    Santiago (Dungeon #80), the patron saint of distant Guadalante, thought to be south of Hepmonaland. Santiago was martyred 500 years ago when he refused to recant his unorthodox views on Pholtus. Since then, Santiago's ideas have been accepted as official church doctrine and his crimes posthumously absolved. A relic, the Cup of Santiago, is associated with him.

Well, that's a kind of cool one Rasgon ... where does it come from!?
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>

Last edited by Icarus on Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:42 am; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:43 pm  

Santiago is from Dungeon #80, in the adventure "Fortune Favors the Dead." He was created by Lance Hawvermale, who also wrote some articles on Greyhawk gods in Polyhedron and an article on the Rhennee in the Living Greyhawk Journal. The adventure itself is only very loosely tied to Greyhawk.
    Paladin

Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:06 am  

Ye'Cind (yee-SIND) was once a skilled elven wizard and master bard. After a flawless performance on his Recorder in front of agents of the Seldarine, Corellon Larethian manifested to the musician and offered him the gift of divinity as a reward for his diligence. He accepted and was infused with a spark of Corellon's power, which changed Ye'Cind so that he was like Corellon himself, with elements both male and female. Ye'Cind is shown as an attractive elf in blue and green, playing a recorder (his holy symbol).

Azor'alg A hero Champion of the Baklunish
    Chamalaine Halfling Hero
    Daern- A mortal elevated to Hero-God for the Oeridians
    Daoud Hero-God of the Humble (baklunish)
    Delleb The Scribe
    Gadhelyn Archer Hero of the Grugach
    Johydee Hero-god liberator of the Oeridian
    Kelanen The Prince of Swords
    Keoghtom Alchemist and Loremaster
    Kuroth Oeridian Master Thief
    Kyuss Flan Priest Sponsored by Nerull
    Murlynd Oeridian Paladin of Technology
    Nazarn 1/2Orc Gladiator
    Roykin The Merciless Former Priestess whose cruelty rose to sponsorship by Erthnul
    Rudd Oeridian adventurer sponsored by Olidammara
    Zinzerena Princess of the Outcast - Drow
    Source here

Now granted some of these may not be "saintly" lol but would certainly flavor up the rumors, and myths across the cultures and the lands of ascended mortals just like St Cuthbert. And most can be found referenced in various places, but the LG attached above is probably the best source start point.

And there are othe places some can be found if you dig throughout old 1e /2e pieces... such as Merlynd for example. To me his old pictures sure look like a Man with no name Clint Eastwood...Laughing

LASTLY, while not greyhawk, if some really wanted to stretch the boundaries to include Nehwon's Lankhmar, it could be located on GH somewhere and then you'd be able to add Fafhrd & The Gray Mouser:twist: Razz

DLG
    GreySage

Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:12 pm  

Saint Hellowell (Dungeon #115, page 90). "The local Saint Hellowell died over 100 years ago, but an annual market is held on the anniversary of his death to celebrate his life's work in collecting the written word in all its forms."

Ssythar Vassha (Dungeon #115, page 71). A "pureblood yuan-ti prophet." There's a statue to him in the ancient yuan-ti stronghold of Shatterhorn in the Amedio Jungle. In one hand he carries a serpent, in the other hand an unblinking eye is set into his palm.

Shrennil (Dungeon #116, page 91). "Said to be a disciple of St. Cuthbert while that god still walked the world as a man, Shrennil constructed six linked fountains scattered hundreds of miles apart."

Mak'ar (Dungeon #130, page 81). An alien spell weaver lich, the Harbinger of Worms. He stumbled upon a series of prophecies depicting the End Times of the world and played a role in the ascension of Kyuss.
    CF Admin

Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:41 pm  

rasgon wrote:

Is she the same figure as Green Lady Nenioc, from the 1993 Collector's Cards set (card #11)?

Card, painted by Fred Fields:

Card text:

Card image sans dressing:

After reading the card text, I assume it's an unrelated Green Lady.

Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:32 pm  

grodog wrote:
    rasgon wrote:

Is she the same figure as Green Lady Nenioc, from the 1993 Collector's Cards set (card #11)?
    After reading the card text, I assume it's an unrelated Green Lady.
    That is an awesome card, though! I never really got to see all of them, before. (Only some) I wish I had all of those old Greyhawk cards, like that.
    [Edit Oct 2018: And, now I do. I've completed my collection of every, single GH card in the AD&D Trading Card series!]

Just for sake of reference, though, I believe you're right. The Green Lady who is referred to is not this one who seems to be sort of dryad-like.

According to the author, James Jacob, the the original reference from the Doomgrinder was to a Suel woman, who died, and a cult inspired by her grew in the region of the Cairn Hills, and Diamond Lake.
    James Jacob wrote:
    Once a high priestess of Wee Jas, she was instrumental in carrying the faith of the Witch Goddess from the old Suel Imperium into the new world after the Rain of Colorless Fire. She died in the Cairn Hills, and a small cult dedicated to her memory remains there today.

There's a quite a bit of information based on the lore of Tyralande Scrimm (written by James Jacobs) and her interactions with the cult, and forum posts by Jacobs, where he published stats for Scrimm, and a Prestige Class, and a writeup for a "Vestige" for the Binder class, including information about the Green Lady.

In all of the information I've read, and as much as there is about why she inspired a cult and was a significant religious figure, I don't know why she was called "Green". Laughing

Last edited by Icarus on Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:53 am  

Joseph of the Light, who wandered the Pomarj performing miracles and making true prophecies, although he claimed no affinity with any particular god (Slavers, 81).
    GreySage

Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:55 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    I don't think St. Bane is associated with any religious movement (anti-undeadism?)

There's an interesting order of paladins focused on slaying the undead, the Keepers of the Veil, in Dragon #252. Their founder is said to have been a knight called Aravan some three centuries ago, but they might hold St. Bane as a patron. Also interesting are two groups that split from the Veil: an order of priests called the Letheans and necromancers called the moribunds.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: