JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Bugbears
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Bugbears
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:56 pm  
    Bugbears

Seeing as we had the recent concerning kobolds it got me to wondering how everyone uses bugbears. Bugbears to me have always been the most under utilized of the humanoids. Yet they can be the most dangerous to low level PC's. Good HD, ambush ability, moving quietly they can create havoc on a major scale for unprepared party. Granted they are dumber than stumps compared to some of the other humanoids but brains arent always important. When your little mage fires magic missles at the beast , hits and the thing smiles at him and then proceeds to rip out thier throats what more can you ask for. So do you all use bugbears to a larger extent that have appeared in publications and what uses do you put them too.

Maraudar
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:05 pm  

I tend to use bugbears infrequently, but my players are not happy when I do.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:31 pm  

Considering how many were in the Temple of Elemental Evil, I have decided to use them more then Orcs. I think this gives my Greyhawk campaign a little different feel from the other worlds. Sort of like no orcs in Krynn, if you know what I mean. Smile
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:19 pm  

The thing I enjoy about using bugbears are their vesitility. You can scare a low level group with a few or harass a mid-level group with a handfull. They can lurk in forests,caverns, and other unhospitable places.
    Having a bugbear as a leader of a goblin band or as support troops can be a nasty surprize for players.
    To what relationship do Bugbears have to ogres since they both have close to the same hit pts. and size.
    I can see a hill giant being a companion to a group of bugbears as long as the giant is benifiting from something. Unlike ogres who may tend to serve giant kind.
    Master Greytalker

Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:44 pm  
    Nope

Nope, havent used them, but after reading this post, I think I will revisit them.
    +
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:56 am  

I use them quite regularly as a formidable foe. They are often in my campaigns. Their versatility make them fun to use.

Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:06 am  

Bugbear + levels of Barbarian = sudden PC respect for ol' Pumpkinhead.

Telas
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:43 pm  

My PC's are involved in fighting Iuz, getting more and more into leading troops into battle. Here's how I use his humanoid troops.

Kobolds - Skirmishers/Canon Fodder
    Goblins - Guards
    Orcs - Light Infantry
    Hobgoblins - Mdeium Infantry
    Bugbears - Heavy Infantry
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: