Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Some clasic modules adapted to 5e!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 5th Edition
    Some clasic modules adapted to 5e!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:22 am  
    Some clasic modules adapted to 5e!

Tales of the Yawning Portal

Quote:

Synopsis

Dread tales told in the dead of night!
    Item details

Price: $49.95 C$63.95
    Release Date: 04 April, 2017
    Format: Hardcover
    ISBN: 9780786966097

When the shadows grow long in Waterdeep and the fireplace in the taproom of the Yawning Portal dims to a deep crimson glow, adventurers from across the Sword Coast spin tales and spread rumors of lost treasures. Some of yarns overheard by Durnan, the barkeep of the Yawning Portal, are inspired by events in far-flung lands, or even other worlds across the Planes, and these tales have been collected into a single volume.

Within this tome are seven of the most compelling dungeons from the 40+ year history of Dungeons & Dragons. Some are classics that have hosted an untold number of adventurers, while others were some of the most popular adventures ever printed.

The seeds of these stories now rest in your hands. D&D’s most storied dungeons are now part of your modern repertoire of adventures. Enjoy, and remember to keep a few spare character sheets handy.

For use with the fifth edition Player’s Handbook, Monster Manual, and Dungeon Master’s Guide, this book provides fans with a treasure trove of adventures, all of which have been updated to the fifth edition rules. Explore seven deadly dungeons in this adventure supplement for the world’s greatest roleplaying game:

Against the Giants
    Dead in Thay
    Forge of Fury
    Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
    Sunless Citadel
    Tomb of Horrors
    White Plume Mountain

Very interesting to see some Greyhawk classic modules adapted for 5th edition.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:15 pm  

i hope this opens up Greyhawk for the Dungeon Master's Guild
    Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:41 pm  

I hear ya, but I worry that the intentional Forgotten Realm themed cover will bury the content for purposes of DMsGuild.
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:05 pm  

According to the podcast the modules are rewritten so that you can easily go from one adventure to the other, in other words they are linked together. I suspect they are placed in the Forgotten Realms.

I miss the days when generic modules with maps covering a small area were made so one could easily drop the adventure into any world.

Guess those days are over.

Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:11 pm  

They have moved the old classic Greyhawk mods to Faerun. Greyhawk is dead. I suspect Living Greyhawk IP issues are to blame. We were talking about this on #greytalk last Thursday; they did not pay regional authors after year 2 yet they allowed them to use Greyhawk IP. A former Circle member with a law degree once told me that may have caused them some control of IP issues, if push comes to shove. Very murky IP stuff.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:09 pm  

They confirmed that the did not move the Adventures to the FR, but there will be guidelines for adapting them with different setting such as Eberron, Dragonlance, Greyhawk and other.
    So in a way, Greyhawk is born again.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:09 pm  

aurdraco wrote:
    They have moved the old classic Greyhawk mods to Faerun. Greyhawk is dead. I suspect Living Greyhawk IP issues are to blame. We were talking about this on #greytalk last Thursday; they did not pay regional authors after year 2 yet they allowed them to use Greyhawk IP. A former Circle member with a law degree once told me that may have caused them some control of IP issues, if push comes to shove. Very murky IP stuff.

Lawyer here. Dont have much knowledge of IP law, and i am from a diferent country, but from what little i know about LG, the authors were allowed to do Greyhawk modules inside the LG proyect. once Wizards pulled the plug, its dead, the rights goes back to them. As far as i know.

Also, since Paizo`s Dragon they run a little excerpt to adapt adventures to diferent settings, so i am not much worried about Wizards making the GH classic into FR classics. In fact, i could be a very good chance to get the new 5ed players into Greyhawk, so they finally know from where those weird names in the spells came from.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:20 am  

Omega9999 wrote:
    They confirmed that the did not move the Adventures to the FR, but there will be guidelines for adapting them with different setting such as Eberron, Dragonlance, Greyhawk and other.

I'm confused. Is the "not" in your post a typo? Link please?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:08 pm  

vestcoat wrote:
    Omega9999 wrote:

Quote:

will those guidelines include #Dragonlance as well?

The adventures include guidelines for setting each in multiple worlds. Including Eberron! #wotcstaff https://t.co/hwJ02Z3qAm

— (((Mike Mearls))) (@mikemearls) January 5, 2017

Source
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:54 am  

I'm really glad they didn't change the original setting. I just guess that I would have liked the Slavers storyline more than Against the Giants.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:01 am  

vestcoat wrote:
    Omega9999 wrote:

It's not a typo, as not every adventure is set in Greyhawk. I guess that for Dead in Thay, the Sunless Citadel and The Forge of Fury there will be guidelines for adapting them in Greyhawk.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:32 pm  

5E is simple enough that 1E/2E stuff should translate well to it. We've been playing the Ravenloft module, and the more casual folks in our game group (i.e. the simpletons Razz) seem to be managing things okay so far. I am enjoying myself, and whoever wrote the Ravenloft stuff knows a good deal about fairy tales (LOVE the whole Bonegrinder bit Cool) and Victorian curiosities/literary conventions, as they feature in the adventure (I appreciate the extra little bit of effort put into it Cool). Really enjoying this expanded Ravenloft adventure. It is very much not just a 5E update of the original adventure, and I am hoping these new versions of other classic adventures are not just updated to 5E, but that they will also contain lots of extra material too.

We'll be going through Storm King's Thunder next, with all new characters, and run by a not so experienced DM (who is doing a decent job though), and it will be set it the frozen north in FR. After that I get to take us back to Greyhawk (Greyfinder/Pathhawk rules though) with some Liberation of Geoff mayhem. Weeeee!!! More Giants! Happy

Last edited by Cebrion on Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:52 am; edited 2 times in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:33 pm  

Personally I'm happy for the fact that they won't FR-wash these adventures like they did with the Elemental Evil campaign book. The 5e update will make my job DMing much easier when trying to decipher it myself while campaigning in Greyhawk. You can go on RPGnow website DM Guild and purchase a few fan made 5e conversions for 1e and 2e modules. The only drawback is you have to use your original module and jump back and forth purchased conversion document. I'm a hoping this is a success and we'll see a volume 2 in the future with more Greyhawk modules that are converted. If they see dollar signs maybe some new content (hopeful meter to 11)

Here's hoping!..............
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:25 am  

Mekorig wrote:
    Lawyer here. Dont have much knowledge of IP law, and i am from a diferent country, but from what little i know about LG, the authors were allowed to do Greyhawk modules inside the LG proyect. once Wizards pulled the plug, its dead, the rights goes back to them. As far as i know.

The rights for the mods not purchased did revert to the authors once LG ended at the end of 2008. However, all Greyhawk IP must be removed before republication. I am about to publish a Pathfinder-compatible version of Blue Scales, Red Secrets, which was first published as IUZ6-02 Blue Scales, Red Secrets. Removing the IP wasn't too hard, I am just creating my own version of Oerth much like Mona did when he created Golarion. Perhaps I shall think of it as Ierth.

But my point was more along the lines of: let's say there was a living greyhawk regional mod in year 3 or later in which Rookroost was destroyed, or a canon NPC killed (WHICH HAPPENED EVERYWHERE), or a certain canon magic item recovered. If they publish a campaign book which reflects any of the above, the author(s) could say they are violating copyright as WotC never paid them for the adventure. Now magnify that concern by hundreds of mods, each possibly with its own little IP issues. No wonder they don't want to sort through that mess. Their failure was in not requiring authors to waive their rights later should WotC decide to canonize any of LG's stories or results, intentional or not. Any future Greyhawk publication could walk right onto an IP landmine.

On a side note, I reached out to Chris Perkins to help them come up with a "Best of Living Greyhawk" series of Adventure Paths (one for each meta-region) and was turned down. I believe it's a project I could have easily headed with Britt's help (he had more dealings with the Triads from other regions than I did).

No, Greyhawk is DEAD. If they ever reboot it, it will be a hard reboot, possibly shifted quite a bit in time to essentially have a clean slate.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:31 am  

In the preview of the book in the Dragon+ magazine app they have sidebars for setting these adventures in all the standard D&D settings (not Mystara, though!) and how to incorporate it. It even says something about the Green Dragon Inn in Greyhawk City as a meeting place instead of the Yawning Portal.

I don't think Greyhawk is truly dead, but that we need to be more vocal to WotC that we will buy products made specifically for it.

Chris Perkins and Mike Mearls have a big love for Greyhawk, which is evident in the sidebars in many of the books. Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide has some for the different class options (Purple Dragon Knight to -> Knight Banneret) as well as some options in some of the official adventures like Elemental Evil.

At least Greyhawk isn't Mystara!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:50 am  

I've acquired Tales of the Yawning Portal. I must say everything looks nice. all the Greyhawk references are there. there is also a big section about the story of Keraptis in White Plume Mountain. Tought I'm not impressed about the art. There is fewer than the original modules, in particular in Tomb of Horrors.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 5th Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: