Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Sources for ruined cities?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Sources for ruined cities?
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:25 pm  
    Sources for ruined cities?

I'm looking for a good module or inspiration for a ruined city. Ideally one with a Nordic culture set in mountainous terrain for mid-to-high-level characters. A weird alien or fantastic culture could work too. Any product suggestions or brainstorming welcome, regardless of edition. If one or two of the qualifiers are missing, that's fine. I'm looking through my library and finding most of the published scenarios in ruins are Mayan- and Egyptian-themed cities in jungles and deserts which are too idiosyncratic.
    GreySage

Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:19 am  

Lost City of Barakus (Necromancer Games, 2003)
    The Crystal Citadel from UK7 Dark Clouds Gather
    CM1 Test of the Warlords references the lost city of Alinor.
    Dungeon #23: "The Pyramid of Jenkel" (I know, I know, "pyramid" doesn't make it sound promising, but give it a read: it's a legendary city destroyed by a planar conjunction)

Saarthal and Labyrinthian from the Skyrim CRPG.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:41 am  

DUNGEON #31, "Beyond the Glittering Veil" (a ruined city on the Plane of Shadow)
    DUNGEON #215, "The Last Slave Lord" (a ruined monastery in the mountains)
    UK3 The Gauntlet (a ruined castle in the mountains)
    WGS1 Five Shall Be One (an orc city in the mountains)

EDIT: Additionally, if you're looking for mid-level Nordic flavor, you owe it to yourself to read John Turcotte's "Land of Song" trilogy, beginning with DF18 Where the Fallen Jarls Sleep.

Last edited by DMPrata on Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:49 am  

B4 The Lost City While it is set in a desert, it could just as easily be mountainous... basically it is in wild territory as the adventure focuses on action inside the city.
    Lost Empire of Faerun One of the more useful Forgotten Realms books, it has a selection of lost empire described... not down to city detail as I recall, but it could easily be incorporated in whole or in part.

Currently transmitting from the Dwamij Ocean
    CF Admin

Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:52 pm  

Other good ruined cities you can adapt to other cultures:

- Pavis and Big Rubble boxed sets for Chaosium's RuneQuest
    - Lichlords (from the Mayfair Games Roleaids line)
    - The Lost City of Gaxmoor (Troll Lord Games, both 3.0/d20 and Castles & Crusades versions are available I think)
    - DL1 Dragons of Despair
    - Several MERP modules feature ruined cities, including Arnor, Ardor,
    - Caverns of Thracia (the d20/Necromancer Games version includes more info/detail about hte ruined city atop the caverns than the original JG version)

I think N5 Under Illefarn may have some ruined cities too, but don't hold me to that---it's been ages since I read that one.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:31 pm  

Thanks so much everyone! Now I have TOO much material. The Pyramid of Jenkel, Beyond the Glittering Veil, Lichlords (which I own and had forgotten), and the Land of Song trilogy are awesome! Those Skyrim cities are good inspiration too.

I've been interested in Barakas for years and finally took a peak. It looks good, but more megadungeon than "city."

B4, Gaxmoor, and Thracia I like too much to cannibalize. Hopefully I'll run them someday.

The City of Shard in Pacesetter's Legacy of the Unknown is also really cool, if anyone else is looking for ruins.
    GreySage

Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:03 am  

You might also look at Xin-Shalast from Pathfinder's Rise of the Runelords AP. http://paizo.com/products/btpy817c?Pathfinder-6-Rise-of-the-Runelords-Chapter-6-Spires-of-XinShalast
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:58 am  

Frog God Games' Slumbering Tsar Saga is an amazing ruined city set in a magically-created wasteland adjacent to mountains, though the city itself is surrounded by desolation. Highly recommended.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: