JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Finding Thrommel - Spoilers
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Finding Thrommel - Spoilers
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:10 pm  
    Finding Thrommel - Spoilers

Last session my players finished mopping up the moat house. Next session will probably be just bookkeeping but there is the possibility of them traveling to Nulb, so I've been reviewing my notes on Nulb and the Temple. One thing that has always gotten me is the room that Thrommel is found in. Specifically what all the players can see/find. It looks like to me that the quoted text is a merging of the original notes and Mentzer's additions that weren't cleaned up very well.

Quote:
    A black iron coffin stands by the northwest
    wall; its iron lid, in which a silver
    cross has been inlaid, lies beside it. Atop
    the lid is a forgotten scroll case.

An invisible sarcophagus is on the stand.
    Dispel magic, detect invisibility, dispel illusion,
    or dust of appearance reveals the following:

The sarcophagus has no top. You see a
    vampire corpse, clad in black and
    appearing hale—except for the stake
    through its heart.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:01 am  
    Re: Finding Thrommel - Spoilers

Cyrusalthantas wrote:
    ...It looks like to me that the quoted text is a merging of the original notes and Mentzer's additions that weren't cleaned up very well...

T1-T4 wasn't exactly a well-edited module.

I might have to go back and look at this one; none of my players ever made it through The Moathouse.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:02 am  

Yep, as wouldn't dispel illusion/dispel magic sort of...um... also not just dispel the invisibility on the coffin (and its contents), but also the illusion cast upon what is in the coffin? Gotta roll for each effect of course, but it could! Laughing Resolve by taking the coffin out into the sunlight, or by figuring out what a certain poem beginning with "On three, in six, lies nine..." means (assuming it was found prior to this encounter).

Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am  

In my game the players manage to rescue Thrommel. Then as a DM I discovered no supplement assumes that they do. The Prince never reappears, every supplement makes a point of emphasising his absence. I ended up having to ignore large chunks of canon.
    Adept Greytalker

Sun May 28, 2017 12:26 pm  

SJC wrote:
    In my game the players manage to rescue Thrommel. Then as a DM I discovered no supplement assumes that they do. The Prince never reappears, every supplement makes a point of emphasising his absence. I ended up having to ignore large chunks of canon.

Which is completely alright. If you are running ToEE instead of RToEE then you can expect to have your players rewrite Greyhawk History. As it should be if you start back before the Greyhawk Wars.

I look at stuff that happened in canon as source material to use or not use in my own campaign. The players are there to tell their story, not maintain the story published by TSR/WotC.

So, with Thrommel back in play, what did you do with him?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue May 30, 2017 1:45 pm  

Well he was rescued during the Greyhawk wars. His return inspired and reinvigorated King Belvor. As a result Chendl was relieved. Thrommel also became a voice for promoting the Northern crusade and supporting the exiled Shield Landers. He did marry Jolene and Veluna as a result became more involved in the wars.
    In CY 593 he led the Furyondian and Velunese forces against Dorakka in the Northern Alliance. (Highvale, Vesve Forest, Perrenland, Wolf Nomads and Tiger Nomads, Mordenkainen and Dwarves and Gnomes).
    I controversially had the lands of Iuz collapse when IUZ and Vecna became one. I still have not had IUZ regain his identity yet.
    To be honest the players had too mush fun in the collapsing lands. All that evil to vanquish.
    I can not decide if that separation should happen or if a Greater God has come into existence.
    In CY 594 He became King of the now united kingdom of Ferrond. At the moment he is leading campaigns in the Shield Lands.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed May 31, 2017 8:31 pm  

SJC,

That sounds like an awesome campaign. I am glad the players are/were having fun!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:43 am  

SJC wrote:
    ...I ended up having to ignore large chunks of canon.

...Because your players made it irrelevant! Cool

Saracenus wrote:
    ...you can expect to have your players rewrite Greyhawk History... I look at stuff that happened in canon as source material to use or not use in my own campaign. The players are there to tell their story, not maintain the story published by TSR/WotC...

-Pretty much how I do it. I think of anything that happens "in the future" as the shades of things which will happen if the players do nothing. If the players interfere with that, then the future will change. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that the players change things for the better... Laughing
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: