JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The Scarlet Brotherhood reprint
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The Scarlet Brotherhood reprint
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:30 pm  
    The Scarlet Brotherhood reprint

Just curious to know if anyone actually has purchased a hard copy of this?
    I would like to know the overall quality, and if it includes the map, and its size.

I think its the only Greyhawk product left that I want and don't own. Most of the original copies for sale are pretty pricy, and with this product being reprinted, I have no idea if any particular copy on ebay or amazon will be the original or reprint.
    Reprint is cheap enough, but don't want to bother if the quality is bad...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:00 am  
    Re: The Scarlet Brotherhood reprint

Phantasm72 wrote:
    Just curious to know if anyone actually has purchased a hard copy of this?
    I would like to know the overall quality, and if it includes the map, and its size.

I think its the only Greyhawk product left that I want and don't own. Most of the original copies for sale are pretty pricy, and with this product being reprinted, I have no idea if any particular copy on ebay or amazon will be the original or reprint.
    Reprint is cheap enough, but don't want to bother if the quality is bad...

Was not aware of a reprint of this particular product. I am interested in getting a english copy too.

Just began to read Crypt of Lyzandred the Mad, and my head already hurts!

Cronicas de Wandemere - My current Greyhawk campaign (in spanish)
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:44 am  

I bought one back in the day, absolutely love the lore of Greyhawk. Hence; I gobbled up the Gazetteers.

IIRC; it has a pretty detailed map of the Tilavot Peninsula, though not poster sized. Quality is somewhat debatable, as many of the fandom dislike the emergence of the SB from the shadows and the "simplistic" approach towards Amedio and Hepmonaland.

Given the racist and colonial overtones of the Brotherhood, "Suloise Burden", I would expect nothing less, as many readers seem to forget it is written with an SB slant. However flawed; it did shed light into this secretive organization and opened up the southern nations, rather the leaving it as terra incognita.

Overall; if you are interested in the lore and seek fresh regions to explore, I would say its a buy...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:50 pm  

Have both an original copy of The Scarlet Brotherhood (sans map) and a reprint from DriveThurRPG (along with the pdf which was just $2 more).

The paper stock on the reprint is definitely heavier than the original slightly bigger (true 8.5x11?) and it's quality is just as good if not better (due to the crisper whiteness of the reprint paper and less bleed thru due to the heavier stock) than the original.

The maps are printed in the booklet towards the back on 4 separate pages (Hepmonaland on one, Tilvanot Peninsula on facing pages, and the Amedio Region on one).

Overall I am quite happy with the reprint (other than would like to have the true poster maps)

Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:46 pm  

The text in the original is slightly sharper, but the paper stock bleeds through more. Winner = draw

The paper in the reprint is sturdier. Winner = reprint

The cover art on the reprint is saturated and fuzzy. Not awful, but definitely compromised. The reprint is missing the title on the spine. Winner = original

The map in the original was probably the poorest quality 2E Greyhawk map. It is small, thin, bound on a perforated strip in a softcover that wasn't shrink wrapped, and prone to creasing tears with even the gentlest use. The reprint maintains the original size and the three distinct geographical regions lend themselves perfectly to being chopped up on separate pages. Winner = reprint.

Don't worry about being scammed with a reprint on the secondary market. The POD prints are quite new, not widely circulated, and I have yet to hear a report of such scams on any gaming forum. If you're looking for an original, you'll want to verify that the fold-out map is included anyway, which guarantees an authentic first print.

Original on left:

Original on bottom:

Size of the original map compared to reprint book:

Tilvanot two-page spread compared to original map:

Hepmonaland reprint left compared to original map section:
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:52 pm  

vestcoat wrote:
    <snip>

Thank you kindly.
    That is a better than expected analysis of the product.
    I'm not a collector or anything, and was purely looking for a quality and usable product.
    Sounds like the reprint is definitely worth the price.

Cheers!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: