Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Frank Mentzer Historic D&D Campaign Returns - GH Empyrea
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Frank Mentzer Historic D&D Campaign Returns - GH Empyrea
    Master Greytalker

Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:18 pm  
    Frank Mentzer Historic D&D Campaign Returns - GH Empyrea

I am friends with Frank Mentzer on Facebook and I would like to take the time to talk about a post I received on my Facebook page from Frank. I'm pasting Franks original post for you Greyhawk fans that are interested.

Press Release:
    Historic Dungeons & Dragons® Campaign Returns

Loxley, Madison WI, August 11 2017

Legendary game designer Frank Mentzer, famed for his worldwide version of the Dungeons & Dragons® game, has teamed with fiction author Ted Fauster to revisit one of the earliest known D&D® fantasy worlds. The game continues to be one of the most popular of all time, and Mentzer’s version is still available in fourteen languages, on every continent.

In 1981, Mentzer was given written permission from E. Gary Gygax (co-author of the original game in 1974) to establish and develop this little-known portion of Oerth, one of the game’s original settings. This new realm of Empyrea has a 40-year history (starting with simple materials from Judges Guild) and is still actively used. The artist Darlene, who painted Gary’s maps in his 1980 product, will create similar maps for this one. Other famous artists of that era -- including Caldwell, Dee, Diesel, Easley, Elmore, Holloway, Jaquays, and Otus -- are being invited to join the project.

Empyrea is on the mysterious and isolated continent of Aquaria, east of Gygax’s World of Greyhawk™ setting. Until now, knowledge of this portion of the world has remained largely a mystery, as the broad and dangerous Solnor ocean separates the two. The continent is briefly described in the Advanced D&D® adventure “Egg of the Phoenix” (Mentzer & Jaquays, TSR Inc., 1987).

“It’s time to share this Dungeons & Dragons® world with hobby gamers,” Mentzer says. “Unlike others, Gary approved this personally. Empyrea combines both traditional fantasy and science fiction elements. Magic is dominant, but technology lurks. And it’s one Realm… this isn’t a cluster of medieval city-states like Greyhawk.”

Author Ted Fauster has accepted the role of Creative Aide, which was Mentzer’s original title when he worked with Gygax at TSR in the 1980s.

Mentzer and Darlene will finance the set through crowdfunding, with support from Judges Guild. It will be compatible with the most recent Fifth Edition D&D® game (D&D 5E) as well as Mentzer’s own world-famous "Red Box" edition of the game.

An official start date for the Kickstarter will be announced shortly after the GenCon® 50 Game Convention in August.

For More Information, contact:
    Loxley LLC
    Mentzer: LoxleyKey@gmail.com
    Fauster : ted@tedfauster.com
    (Ownership of trademarks indicated is not disputed)

Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:21 pm  

Naturally there is ongoing discussion on Facebook about this project and if you try you might be able to get it up on your facebook page as well. Anyway, just putting it out there for those who were unaware.

Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:58 am  

I've asked a few question to Mr. Mentzer myself on Facebook. I'm pleased that at least everything inside Oerth. I'm looking forward to this.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: