JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Game of Thrones
    Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley
    Game of Thrones [ Previous  1, 2]
    Master Greytalker

Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:49 am  

Lanthorn wrote:
    I also hear there's a roll-playing game. Anyone play it?
    -Lanthorn

There are two in fact. One is now out of print but uses the d20 system; I have the pdf and it is 500+ pages of truly gorgeous shizzle. The mechanics have been very cleverly tampered with to reflect the grittyness of the setting and believe me there are no 100hp bullying sack of hits pcs in this one. I've not played it due to time limitations but it looks decent.

The other one is Green Ronin's A Song Of Ice and Fire RPG and I've not got it. I have, however been following an AP thread from another forum and it seems like the guys involved are having a good time and for the most part the system seems to deliver a very good setting experience. There's a free starter on DriveThru for a taste.
    GreySage

Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:53 pm  

Season 4 trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZY43QSx3Fk

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:27 pm  

Another tidbit for all you Game of Thrones fans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5iS3tULXMQ

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:27 pm  

Trailer 2 for the next season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2ZNaLQD60Y

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:19 pm  

Ragr wrote:
    Lanthorn wrote:
    I also hear there's a roll-playing game. Anyone play it?
    -Lanthorn

There are two in fact...

Dragon magazine had a few articles devoted to D&D in Westeros:

http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Magazine-307-Jesse-Decker/dp/B0012SMG6U

...you'll have to ask others for a review...
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:20 pm  

Got 3 months of HBO free when we installed Direct TV, so I'm all caught up on season 3 and just watched the opener of season 4. The dragons are getting big. Oberyn Martel is just about how I pictured him. I don't care for the new Daario though.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:02 pm  

Yep. The previous Daario was good. The new one does not seem roguish enough, at least from what we have seen so far.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:15 pm  

Season 4, Episode 2...Joffrey got what he deserved. Paint a Rune of Pursuit on his corpse.

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Thu May 08, 2014 2:42 pm  

Boy has this season deviated from the books...more so than prior seasons!

Thoughts on this: do you like, or dislike, these changes, and why?

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun May 11, 2014 4:37 pm  

Generally I'm okay with the deviation. The stuff with Craster's was pretty different, but it all worked out the same. There's still a couple of characters I'm missing, but they'll probably get to them eventually.
    GreySage

Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:22 am  

Even though I knew what was coming...poor Oberyn! Shocked What a ghastly and horrible way to perish. Looking forward to the next installment, as Episode 9 of all previous seasons have been the most climactic ones.

-Lanthorn
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:51 am  

This week's episode featured a distressing lack of head-crushing.
    GreySage

Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:36 am  

Maybe no head-crushing, but plenty of swordplay, archery (including impalement by a giant's arrow!), and good old defense techniques to counter a siege.

I am hoping round 2 is equally intense when Mance Rayder takes the field with the bulk of his host.

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:05 pm  

GreyhawkGrognard wrote:
    This week's episode featured a distressing lack of head-crushing.

Haha! Laughing
    GreySage

Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:06 am  

Collective thoughts and opinions on this season of GoT???

Beware, readers, of potential spoilers if you have not seen it... You were warned in advance.

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:24 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    Collective thoughts and opinions on this season of GoT???

Beware, readers, of potential spoilers if you have not seen it... You were warned in advance.

Overall, I liked it, even the changes. The only thing I didn't really care for is the foreshadowing about the Mountain, with what Qyburn is up to. It's not established in the books, but most people have figured it out.
    GreySage

Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:39 am  

SPOILER ALERT!

There are more changes to this season than any others, but I am not sure all are to my liking. Honestly, I am having a difficult time determining what events happened in which books (I just finished Book 4), but know they just barely scratched the surface of Book 3 in this season.

I don't like how the Mountain was seemingly killed. He didn't move whatsoever in the series, yet the implication was he was still alive. The bastard should be writhing in agony (serves him right) as the manticore venom slowly kills him. The battle between the Red Viper and the Mountain was pretty hideous, but accurate.

I don't like the alteration wherein Arya met up with Brienne, with the resulting battle between her and the Hound. I guess they figured they needed to hasten up the storyline, but, for the most part, I don't like deviations from the original source.

There was nothing in the book (yet) about Theon's failed liberation by his sister. Maybe that is to come in Book 5.

Although interesting, nothing about Bran and the 3-eyed raven, the subsequent death of Jojen, and all that jazz, in Book 3 or 4.

The siege on the Wall was pretty accurate, but I recall that the Magnar of Thenn was killed when the crows collapsed the scaffolding. I don't think he was taken prisoner. Even though it makes for more television drama, that scene with John Snow and Ygritte...never happened in the book.

To each his own I guess, but that is why I asked for opinions.

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:44 am  

I get confused by this also, what happened in what book, but some of it is due to the structure of how Martin did the books. The original concept was that Feast of Crows would only present the story from the POV of certain characters (which it did) with the POV of the rest of the characters from that same time period being in a following book (Which it sorta did). Martin changed his mind on that, which is partly why Dance with Dragons took so freaking long to come out. So, some of the material in DwD is happening simultaneously with FoC, but then there is other stuff in DwD that advances the whole timeline ... Yeah, I know.

I didn't mind the bit with Brienne and Pod meeting up with Arya and the Hound. While I liked how it played out in the book -- at least the part with Brienne and Pod -- that would have been a bit of a sidetrack to do in the show, and they're trying to cram in as much drama as possible, which I get.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:48 am  

(Spoilers for books and show)

I'm about half-way through book 5--much of the show from this season comes from that book in addition to book 3, there are a few minor deviations here and there, but nothing earth shattering.

I thought the attempted rescue of Theon was maybe book 4? When the show hit that, it seemed really familiar.

I think overall the show is trying to be more strict with chronology than the books & that's why we see chapters from multiple books in a given season.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:02 am  

jtylerk wrote:
    (Spoilers for books and show)

I'm about half-way through book 5--much of the show from this season comes from that book in addition to book 3, there are a few minor deviations here and there, but nothing earth shattering.

I thought the attempted rescue of Theon was maybe book 4? When the show hit that, it seemed really familiar.

I think overall the show is trying to be more strict with chronology than the books & that's why we see chapters from multiple books in a given season.

The attempted rescue didn't happen in the book, but Asha (Yara on the show) did show up in Clash of Kings to try and get Theon to abandon Winterfell, then left him when he wouldn't. He REALLY should have taken her advice.
    GreySage

Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:50 am  

I am now well into the 5th book, "A Dance with Dragons," and noting that many scenes (chapters) in the novel were placed in this past season's episodes. It seems the producers of the show are deviating more and more from the continuity of the books. Not sure I like that...

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:47 pm  

It's the continuity of the books that is fubared. Martin originally planned to do half the world in Feast for Crows, and then the other half during the same time period in the next book, but then changed his mind and included that stuff along with the most recent events in A Dance with Dragons. So events in season 5 should be the later stuff from Feast for Crows with concurrent events from A Dance with Dragons. The proper way to read the books should probably be to read Feast for Crows alongside the first half (or 1/3 or 3/4 or whatever it actually is) of A Dance with Dragons, and then finish up with the second half of A Dance with Dragons.
    GreySage

Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:16 pm  

Finally finished Book 5 a few days ago and never saw the ending coming....WOW. Shocked Hoping Martin hurries up and publishes that next book before he dies, and ties all those loose ends without meandering off on any more wild tangents. I started reading his books only recently, starting with Book 1 several years ago, slowly devouring them bit by bit, and now consider it an achievement to have read all of them in a few years' time.

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:41 pm  

Just started reading the Prince of Thorns, the first book in Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire Trilogy, and so far, he's the only author of the "If you loved Game of Thrones, you'll love ..." authors that has, for me, lived up to that promise. I'm about 1/4 through and I'm not quite sure I like or sympathize with the protagonist, but I am digging his story.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:59 am  

two episodes into the new season and no discussion at canonfire?

Here is my humble opinion... please some screen writer stop being so stupid. The mother of dragons has a torch and its daylight when she locks up two of her pets but when she goes back its night and no torch. Brilliant. The whole mother of dragons character has gone for ****. If she wont get naked stop putting her in bedroom scenes and please, please, please stop with the naked men making out or male asses anywhere. Other than the mother of dragons character it has been pretty good so far but i am getting sick and tired of stupid characters in the shows i kinda like (ie. walking dead). Television/society has really gone down the crapper in the last 20 years. I can't believe people actually enjoy that reality crap and ice road truckers???? Yukon goldrush????

sorry about that.... please return to your scheduled programming
    GreySage

Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:01 pm  

Surprised, too, about the apparent silence. Either everyone is disinterested, or nobody is checking down here.

Nevertheless, even though I haven't seen these episodes (yet), I understand they are deviating very much from the book.

-Lanthorn
    Adept Greytalker

Sat May 02, 2015 8:18 pm  

It is a bit discouraging to have to scroll past all those dozens of dead "Living Greyhawk" forums to get here. Could they maybe be archived away, or at least moved somewhere where they don't take up so much real estate from the active forums?

Joe/GG
    GreySage

Wed May 27, 2015 3:56 pm  

I am caught up on this season's episodes. They've deviated so much from the actual book (not necessarily good, not necessarily bad) that it's hard for me to figure out what will happen next, except that the overall theme is, basically, the same.

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:51 am  

Liked last episode's ending with the WhiteWalker siege on the wildling fortress. Shocked

-Lanthorn
    Novice

Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:42 am  

Or what happened at the Wall last night, Daenerys, and... well, if I say too much, I'll probably get ragged on as dropping spoilers, so...

Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:42 pm  

Been a while since the last post on this thread...

...Ramsay Bolton got exactly what he deserved, in my opinion. A follower of Trithereon would definitely approve!

The final scene with the fleet sailing for Westeros, the three dragons in full flight overhead, was a visual treat to witness.

I am hopeful and excited to see what comes next. Not at all disappointed thus far. In fact, and maybe I am the only person to think this, I would go so far as to say the show has improved in terms of quality (filming, effects, etc.) from one season to the next. Of course this may be due entirely to a larger budget!

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:54 am  

A friend posted this on FaceBook (which I subsequently added to my Timeline) and thought it was too funny NOT to share with other GoT fans:

https://www.facebook.com/ViralTubee/videos/742716835868274/?pnref=story

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:27 pm  

Anyone following the new season?

Thoughts, comments, insights, and predictions welcome.

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:28 am  

Prediction: Bran is going to Warg a dragon...

-Lanthorn
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:36 am  

Lanthorn wrote:
    Anyone following the new season?

Thoughts, comments, insights, and predictions welcome.

-Lanthorn

This season is my favorite season so far. Lots of action and great battles and of course the dragons look amazing. I love the books even more than the show, but the show does a pretty good job.

Predictions:

- Tormund is alive
    - The Others and the Army of the Dead wreck havoc in the North and it takes the good guys a while to gather their forces to fight back
    - The first battle between the good guys and the Others ends in defeat for the good guys
    - Jon and Dany continue to be together romantically for a while
    - Jon doesn't find out who he really is for a while
    - When he does find out however he and Dany "break up" and he renounces being King of the North and head of the Stark family
    - Sansa becomes head of the Starks and Queen of the North
    - The Golden Company shows up working for Cerci and attacks Dany's army from the south, but they eventually fight with her against the Others
    - Melisandre shows up with an army from Volantis and they fight the Others with Dany. Melisandre is killed fighting though
    - Jaime kills Cerci with his bare hands as the prophecy said
    - Clegane bowl happens and the Hound kills the Mountain, but he dies of his wounds right after
    - The good guys win in the final battle against the Others, but Jon is killed and Drogon and Rhaegal also die
    - The Night's King and all the Others are killed as is Viserion in the final battle
    - The show ends with Dany giving birth to Jon's (healthy) son
    GreySage

Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:21 am  

Did you get this from your crystal palantir? Happy

Good predictions. Rumor has it that we might have to wait TWO years, though! Evil

thanks

Lanthorn
    GreySage

Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:56 pm  

House of the Dragon!

Coming "soon." :)

Very excited, and hopeful.

-Lanthorn
       Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    [ Previous  1, 2]
    Page 2 of 2

Jump to: