JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - new ideas for linking classic modules together
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    new ideas for linking classic modules together
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:46 pm  
    new ideas for linking classic modules together

I've loved reading the comments and suggestions over the years on how to link some of the most classic 1ed and 2ed modules into campaigns (ToEE, Slavers, Giants, etc.). However, has anyone tried to link some of the other classic modules into campaigns or campaign arcs? Specifically I was wondering if someone had any outside the box ideas on linking modules that don't have an obvious connection.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:55 pm  

XO42,

I have been toying with this for several years with various theoretical campaign concepts.

Ferrond I: This campaign would start in approx. 576 CY in the vicinity of Hommlet, moving through ToEE. The characters would likely be adventuresome do-gooders (Paladin, priests of St. Cuthebrt/Rao, et. al). After defeating the temply, they would travel to Greyhawk and begin the Falconmaster series before moving to Furyondy to fight in the Greyhawk Wars as heroes. They would likely be chosen to play in the Crook of Rao adventure in From the Ashes as well.

Sheldomar I This campaign would begin during or before 576 CY. The characters would start with the Saltmarsh series, and then travel to Monmurg in the Hold of the Sea Princes to deliver Elmo's remains home. There the characters would meet the Duke of Berghof and be recruited to play both The Sentinel and The Gauntlet. After success here and entering Hold society, they would also pursue the adventure Beyond the Crystal Cave. Finally, the Prince would engage them in the two Treasures of Greyhawk adventures: Terror in the Tropics and On the Town. From there, they would also have the opportunity to follow a map to the Lost shrine of Tamoachan, before moving back to the Sheldomar to explore the Lost Cavern of the Suloise. They would likely be recruited by the Margave of Bissel to explore the Vale of the Mage, and possibly the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. All-in-all, these characters would be hardened explorers, who would finally be recruited for the Matreyus expedition.

I am working on some concepts for the other regions... I tend to like the idea of a campaign being based on one region, with rare excursions beyond it.
    GreySage

Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:52 am  

When I DM, I choose a beginning module/adventure that I think will work well with the concept the players have for their party and individual characters. While playing through that adventure, I seed it with hints about possible future adventures so that when the initial adventure has been completed, the party can choose where they travel next.

If you read through my Keep on the Borderlands campaign blog, you will see that I did that. My players chose to chase after Sir Bluto (soon becoming 'Sans Pite' because of his nefarious activities) and so, went on to White Plume Mountain. From thence, they traveled overland to visit the home of their dwarven friend in the Jotens and became entangled in the war Against the Giants.

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5218

SirXaris

Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:29 pm  

U1 Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh. Character levels 1-3.

And either before or after:
    B2 Keep on the Borderlands. Character levels 1-3.

With the Keep representing Bale Keep near Saltmarsh. The nearby fens and Mound of the Lizard Men make it a particularly appropriate choice. The river on the B2 map could be the Dunwater. The (Bale) Keep on the Borderlands and the Caves of Chaos would both be on the eastern side of the river.

U2 Danger at Dunwater. Character levels 1-4.
    U3 The Final Enemy. Character levels 3-5.

At this point, the sahuagin trilogy of Monstrous Arcana modules should work. Angleburg from the Monstrous Arcana modules makes for a decent Saltmarsh, and the map can be used as Saltmarsh during U1-U3.

Monstrous Arcana: Evil Tide. Character levels 5-7.
    Monstrous Arcana: Night of the Shark. Character levels 6-8.
    Monstrous Arcana: Sea of Blood. Character levels 7-9.

Before, in between, or after the Monstrous Arcana modules, GA1 and GA2 could also be set in Saltmarsh.

GA1 The Murky Deep. Character levels 5-8. Whitton is Saltmarsh, Desarius is Delleb or Boccob, and Manannan Mac Lir is Osprem.

GA2 Swamplight. Character levels 7-9. Chala is Saltmarsh. Tefnut is Osprem.

Some people have also linked L1-2 to the region.
    CF Admin

Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:48 pm  
    Re: new ideas for linking classic modules together

xo42 wrote:
    However, has anyone tried to link some of the other classic modules into campaigns or campaign arcs? Specifically I was wondering if someone had any outside the box ideas on linking modules that don't have an obvious connection.

I like to use U1 as a prelude to A1, and both can also be combined with Bob Waldbauer's "Can Seapoint Be Saved?" adventure from Dragon #75.

A2 is nice to link up to the Drowic Underworld of G3/D1-3 as well as the mentions of drow from the DragonChess article additions by Roger Moore and of illithids via the Rift Canyon the intro to the 1983 boxed set:

Roger E. Moore wrote:

<<Variations>>
    Two variations on the Dragonchess game have recently surfaced in the Flanaess. One was brought to light in 555 C.Y., detailed in the memoirs of a priest from Dyvers who had been captured beneath the Hellfurnaces and held enslaved in the so-called Vault of the Drow, in the
    dark city of Erelhei-Cinlu. The dark elves had obviously learned of the Dragonchess game some years before and had developed their own version of it, identical in all ways to the standard version except for changing the names and appearances of the pieces used. The two sides' pieces are usually carved from violet and red semiprecious stone, ideally with inset crystals and gems that fluoresce brilliantly in these colors beneath the ultraviolet radiation from the decaying tumkeoite in the Vault's high ceiling. Each side represented a noble family or house of drow, engaged in a war with another noble family.
    A second and very recent variation has surfaced in the shops of the City of Greyhawk, reflecting the current state of affairs in Furyondy with the rise of Iuz's empire. The two sides are still gold and red, but the pieces have different shapes for the different sides, with the gold side representing the forces of Good and civilization (using Furyondy styles of dress and armor) and the red side the forces of Iuz.

Code:

<<piece (#)>>        <<drow>>             <<Furyondy/Iuz>>
    Sylphs (6)           Bats                 Sylphs/Giant Ravens
    Griffons (2)         Phase Spiders        Griffons/Hieracosphinxes
    Dragon (1)           Vampire              Gold Dragon/Red Dragon
    King (1)             Queen                King Belvor IV/Iuz (in aged form)
    Mage (1)             High Priestess       Wizard/Necromancer
    Paladin (1)          Wizard (m)           Paladin/Tanar'ri
    Cleric (1)           Lesser Priestess     Human Priest/Orc Shaman
    Thieves (2)          Assassins (m)        Military Scouts/Spies
    Heroes (2)           Guards (m)           Human Captain/Hobgoblin Captain
    Unicorns (2)         Driders              Unicorns/Nightmares
    Oliphants (2)        Giant Lizards        Oliphants/Bulettes
    Warriors (12)        Warriors (m)         Human Warriors/Orc Warriors
    Dwarves (6)          Goblin Slaves        Dwarves/Goblins
    Basilisks (2)        Web-using Spiders    Cockatrices/Basilisks
    Elemental (1)        Slavemasters         Good Elemental/Evil Elemental

(m) -- These are usually male figures. The Vampire, Queen, High Priestess, Lesser Priestess, and Slavemaster figures are drow females.

and

Steve Winter wrote:

The Sage's work was not widely circulated during his lifetime. It disappeared completely after his death, and did not reappear until several centuries later, when a copy was discovered in an Illithid's lair in the Riftcanyon.

Other fun combos to consider:

- mixing and matching the desert modules together: C2 with I9 with UK6 with X4-5 with "Ruins of Andril" from Dragon #81 with EGG's Sea of Dust novel (and perhaps material from the Judges Guild's Caverns of Thracia, Dark Tower, and Temple of Ra Accursed by Set; perhaps also CB1/2, WGR3 Rary the Traitor, I3-5 the Desert of Desolation modules, and/or X10)
    - S1 is a great module to move around, based on its alternate location suggestions (vs. just always plopping it down into the Vast Swamp), and Druvas over on DF wrote up at least one of those locations as a false lair that's worth looking at: https://www.dragonsfoot.org/php4/archive.php?sectioninit=FE&fileid=308&watchfile=0

Allan.

Allan.

Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:56 pm  

Flint has some suggestions for using B1-9. Here are the first two parts; I can't tell if he ever finished the series.

Night's Dark Terror, Part One
    Night's Dark Terror, Part Two
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:01 pm  

Now that we have over two dozen official and unofficial remakes and sequels to Against the Giants, I strung together an alternate Giants series on the barbarian peninsula to relieve the Crystalmists from some of the product glut. The basis is 4e's Revenge of the Giants, in which the Frozen Sea can only be the Icy Sea if these adventures are placed in the Flanaess. I don't know or like 4e, so I only took select pieces of Revenge of the Giants and added Pinnell's Sanctum of the Stone Giant Lord, WotC's Crumbling Hall of the Frost Giant Jarl, and about half of Mertylmane's Road from Dungeon Mag #76. All of this is a backdrop for my WGS series right now.

Since TSR aborted Sargent's plan for the WGS trilogy and let Slade butcher the loose ends, I developed my own WGS2-3. It's half homebrew (dungeons in Calbut, seafaring action, time travel to the fall of Spinecastle, adventures in the demiplane of Shadow) and half published modules, including Kuntz's Ice Grave, JG's Citadel of Fire, some of 3e's Frostfell Rift, some C&C Rune Lore, some LotFP Vornheim, WFRP Middenheim, and Black Blade's Ice Tower of the Salka.

I've always thought WGR1 and WGA1-3 could tie together nicely. A few levels of non-linear dungeon crawl could reveal the cult of Iuz beneath Castle Greyhawk, lead to the Falcon in the City, then back to the dungeons, the Gnarley, or elsewhere.

Last edited by vestcoat on Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:38 pm  

vestcoat wrote:
    The basis is 4e's Revenge of the Giants, in which the Frozen Sea can only be the Icy Sea if these adventures are placed in the Flanaess. I don't know or like 4e, so I only took select pieces of Revenge of the Giants and added Pinnell's Sanctum of the Stone Giant Lord, WotC's Crumbling Hall of the Frost Giant Jarl, and about half of Mertylmane's Road from Dungeon Mag #76. All of this is a backdrop for my WGS series right now.

"Ancient Blood" from Dungeon #20 might be a good addition to these. The sword Thorgrim mentioned in that adventure could be reinterpreted as one of the Blades of Corusk.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:55 am  

Awesome! I'll check it out.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:50 pm  

tarelton wrote:
    XO42,

I have been toying with this for several years with various theoretical campaign concepts.

Ferrond I: This campaign would start in approx. 576 CY in the vicinity of Hommlet, moving through ToEE. The characters would likely be adventuresome do-gooders (Paladin, priests of St. Cuthebrt/Rao, et. al). After defeating the temply, they would travel to Greyhawk and begin the Falconmaster series before moving to Furyondy to fight in the Greyhawk Wars as heroes. They would likely be chosen to play in the Crook of Rao adventure in From the Ashes as well.

Sheldomar I This campaign would begin during or before 576 CY. The characters would start with the Saltmarsh series, and then travel to Monmurg in the Hold of the Sea Princes to deliver Elmo's remains home. There the characters would meet the Duke of Berghof and be recruited to play both The Sentinel and The Gauntlet. After success here and entering Hold society, they would also pursue the adventure Beyond the Crystal Cave. Finally, the Prince would engage them in the two Treasures of Greyhawk adventures: Terror in the Tropics and On the Town. From there, they would also have the opportunity to follow a map to the Lost shrine of Tamoachan, before moving back to the Sheldomar to explore the Lost Cavern of the Suloise. They would likely be recruited by the Margave of Bissel to explore the Vale of the Mage, and possibly the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. All-in-all, these characters would be hardened explorers, who would finally be recruited for the Matreyus expedition.

Great ideas Tarelton, thanks! I have used the adventure cards from the City of Greyhawk boxed set and the adventures from Treasures of Greyhawk numerous times over the years and I agree they make excellent fillers between major adventures.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:54 pm  

SirXaris wrote:

If you read through my Keep on the Borderlands campaign blog, you will see that I did that. My players chose to chase after Sir Bluto (soon becoming 'Sans Pite' because of his nefarious activities) and so, went on to White Plume Mountain. From thence, they traveled overland to visit the home of their dwarven friend in the Jotens and became entangled in the war Against the Giants.

I have never dealt with Sir Bluto or gone through White Plume Mountain (as a player or DM), but I've always wanted to. I'll definitely have to try to incorporate them in at some point. Thanks!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:05 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    U1 Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh. Character levels 1-3.

And either before or after:
    B2 Keep on the Borderlands. Character levels 1-3.

With the Keep representing Bale Keep near Saltmarsh. The nearby fens and Mound of the Lizard Men make it a particularly appropriate choice. The river on the B2 map could be the Dunwater. The (Bale) Keep on the Borderlands and the Caves of Chaos would both be on the eastern side of the river.

U2 Danger at Dunwater. Character levels 1-4.
    U3 The Final Enemy. Character levels 3-5.

At this point, the sahuagin trilogy of Monstrous Arcana modules should work. Angleburg from the Monstrous Arcana modules makes for a decent Saltmarsh, and the map can be used as Saltmarsh during U1-U3.

Monstrous Arcana: Evil Tide. Character levels 5-7.
    Monstrous Arcana: Night of the Shark. Character levels 6-8.
    Monstrous Arcana: Sea of Blood. Character levels 7-9.

Before, in between, or after the Monstrous Arcana modules, GA1 and GA2 could also be set in Saltmarsh.

GA1 The Murky Deep. Character levels 5-8. Whitton is Saltmarsh, Desarius is Delleb or Boccob, and Manannan Mac Lir is Osprem.

GA2 Swamplight. Character levels 7-9. Chala is Saltmarsh. Tefnut is Osprem.

Excellent ideas Rasgon, thanks! I have played through the Saltmarsh series and it's a favorite for beginning groups, but I've never added the Sahuagin trilogy or the Murky Deep and Swamplight, but I own all of them and will definitely work on that. I have always loved underwater adventures and wish there were more published. There is a cool underwater adventure on the Elemental Plain of Water in Tales from the Outer Planes and I think I could incorporate it with the ones you mentioned. Your idea to combine The Keep on the Borderlands with them is also interesting and would be a great way to help PCs gain more experience and levels that are sorely needed between U2 and U3.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:16 pm  

vestcoat wrote:
    I've always thought WGR1 and WGA1-3 could tie together nicely. A few levels of non-linear dungeon crawl could reveal the cult of Iuz beneath Castle Greyhawk, lead to the Falcon in the City, then back to the dungeons, the Gnarley, or elsewhere.

I agree that WGR1 and the Falcon trilogy could work well together, although I admit like many people I was very disappointed with the Falcon trilogy. I've heavily altered the Falcon trilogy when I've used it, but combining it with adventures under Castle Greyhawk would be awesome. Thanks!
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:45 pm  

Ditto. WGA1-3 needs lots of work. Unlike most mediocre modules, I think they're worth the elbow grease. There's just something about their mix of urban sleuthing, dungeon crawls, wilderness, and mass combat that I love. Too bad they weren't better conceived.
    GreySage

Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:22 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    vestcoat wrote:
    The basis is 4e's Revenge of the Giants, in which the Frozen Sea can only be the Icy Sea if these adventures are placed in the Flanaess. I don't know or like 4e, so I only took select pieces of Revenge of the Giants and added Pinnell's Sanctum of the Stone Giant Lord, WotC's Crumbling Hall of the Frost Giant Jarl, and about half of Mertylmane's Road from Dungeon Mag #76. All of this is a backdrop for my WGS series right now.

"Ancient Blood" from Dungeon #20 might be a good addition to these. The sword Thorgrim mentioned in that adventure could be reinterpreted as one of the Blades of Corusk.

Don't forget House of the Brothers, from Dungeon Magazine #6. I always include it between the Steading of the Hill Giant Chief and the Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl when I run the G series.

SirXaris

Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:27 pm  

I started a campaign with my middle school aged son and his friend (plus one dad that hadn't played in 20 years). They didn't know anything about DnD and nothing about Greyhawk. I figured I would make a campaign that led up to the Greyhawk Wars as an introduction everything. I figured I'd start with Iuz just having escaped, but no one knows it.

I put Keep on the Borderlands on the northern edge of Furyondy. I made up that the king was trying to start a Northern Crusade to invade the Horned Society and retake that land. The characters are moving north to rally as the army starts to form. As they get to the Keep, word comes down that the southern dukes have refused to pay for it. The whole military campaign stops before it gets started. This puts them at the Keep On The Borderlands with bad things happening. The evil temple is a cleric of Iuz who has mad ramblings that "Iuz is back". No one believes the players that he might be.

After this, I wanted to continue with the Iuz and Iggwilv theme. I brought out The Fiends Embrace module from Dungeon. Along the way, I pulled out some Living Greyhawk adventures to set the flavor of the lands they went through. There was one about saving a half-orc farmer in the High Vale. There was a murder of a Knight of the Heart by mysterious people in Perrenland. I made up a short encounter saving some Wolf Nomad ancestral burial mounds from a pack of ghouls. They did Fiends Embrace. On the way back, I did Mordenkainen's House of Chocolate. All of this was to give them the feel of the different locations and know what each country was like.

When the players got back to Furyondy with the Fiend's Embrace, they decided to hand it over to the Knights of the Heart (along with a sword of a knight from the Perrenland module). This put an arrest warrant out for the sage, but he escaped. There was no money to pay the players, but they got some of the sage's stuff. The sage was interested in historical Iggwilv. There were secret notes that led to the general location of the Lost Caverns of Tsjocanth. They weren't high enough level yet.

I took some post Greyhawk War Living Greyhawk modules and made it that there were Horned Society raids across the river and they stopped them. I added one from the High Vale that was protecting an elven noble (and then burying his body when they failed). This further added flavor to the various areas.

The party left for Veluna to search for the Lost Caverns. There was an adventure in Veluna about a hard up merchant using a treasure map. Eventually they started searching for the Lost Caverns. I had the sage work out with some Kettites to screw with them, but the players were lucky and found the Lost Caverns by luck before I could do that.

After they finish with this module I want them to experience the Shield Lands. I want them to see the distrust between Furyondy and there so that they can understand how things go bad during the Greyhawk Wars. Not sure what adventure to do, but I'll think of something. Maybe a Demon Cult with the new Book of Foes?

I also want to add in something about the Baklunish lands, too. They will have Doud's Wonderous Lathorn. It's a little too powerful and it is kind of cursed. I figure I can have different power groups show up about the same time as word reaches those lands that it's been found. Various groups want it. They will have to decide which group to give it to. I want them to make some moral choices. Maybe some skulldaggery.

After all this, I'm not sure what next. They will probably be about lvl 10. I'll think of something, but eventually the Greyhawk Wars will break out. I am thinking of adding in some old Warhammer Fantasy Battle rules mixed with some DnD. I have a lot of Orcs and Goblins for that game and enough humans to play the good guys. I can have them fight the battles in the war and have them try to save all the refugees as the war goes bad for them. Show the various reinforcements show up and stabilize. Have them run some secret missions.

I do know I want to run the module City of Skulls. That's where they try to rescue the king of the Shield Lands (right?). At that point, that's so far into the future that it might be near their end of high school. Or maybe start a new campaign. I'll see how it goes from there.

Oh, I rambled quite a bit. :)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:28 pm  

double post. Thought I lost all that I typed!!!
    CF Admin

Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:29 pm  

heychadwick wrote:
    After this, I wanted to continue with the Iuz and Iggwilv theme. I brought out The Fiends Embrace module from Dungeon. Along the way, I pulled out some Living Greyhawk adventures to set the flavor of the lands they went through. There was one about saving a half-orc farmer in the High Vale. There was a murder of a Knight of the Heart by mysterious people in Perrenland. I made up a short encounter saving some Wolf Nomad ancestral burial mounds from a pack of ghouls. They did Fiends Embrace. On the way back, I did Mordenkainen's House of Chocolate. All of this was to give them the feel of the different locations and know what each country was like.

I don't remember hearing of this LG scenario before; please tell us more about Mordenkainen's House of Chocolate!?! :D

Some info (including a cover image) at https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3305243/mordenkainens-house-chocolate

Allan.

Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:06 am  

grodog wrote:
    heychadwick wrote:
    On the way back, I did Mordenkainen's House of Chocolate.

I don't remember hearing of this LG scenario before; please tell us more about Mordenkainen's House of Chocolate!?! :D

Some info (including a cover image) at https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3305243/mordenkainens-house-chocolate

Allan.

It's more of a light hearted adventure after the dismal swamp that the kids appreciated.

There was a young chief who became Mordenkainen's personal chief at the Obsidian Citadel. This was good for a few years and Mordenkainen even discovered the cocoa plant in the Amedio Jungle. The chief created chocolate (or was it discovered it from the natives. I can' recall). His soon became a favored servant of the arch-mage. Eventually, the young man wanted to get married and settle down as the Citadel was a bit remote. Mordenkainen agreed as long as he continued to supply chocolate. The chap set up shop in Parrenland and has a one way teleport room from the Citadel that supplies him with cocoa. For protection, Mordenkainen created a chocolate golem and a gelatinous cube that was more tame and the house cleaner.

When the chef started his business, word got out that he was the chief of Mordenkainen and people just started calling him that name. He couldn't stop it and soon embraced it. The chief's business was booming and he often gave out sweets and scraps to the various street children in town. They LOVED him.

An imp heard about this and was always trying to get back at Mordenkainen for his masters. The imp figured there must be some connection to the real Mordenkainen. The imp ended up keeping the chief hostage in his own bakery trying to figure out how to get to Mordenkainen. He needs a hero to save the day.

Players start off in town and local street youth hire the heroes to look into the chief's disappearance. They miss the free chocolate.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:36 am  

I've considered making an update for UK6 All That Glitters… that would tie it in to the Shackled City Adventure Path (since I recall Meyer's maps, at least, putting it within that same region of the Amedio Jungle). I might have to alter the name, though, since I recall it was also used for LIVING GREYHAWK™ adventure KEO1-05.

I would also like to toss some Octychs into some old adventures here and there…
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: