JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Best Dungeon Mags
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Best Dungeon Mags
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon May 04, 2020 12:47 pm  
    Best Dungeon Mags

I was thinking of picking up some Dungeon Mags and I had a question. Can any one tell me the top 10-20 issues that either are:

1.) Set in GH (good ones)
    2.) Have really good low 1-10 lvl modules.

Thanks for any help.
    Sage of Canonfire

Mon May 04, 2020 1:21 pm  
    Re: Best Dungeon Mags

Greydog78 wrote:
    I was thinking of picking up some Dungeon Mags and I had a question. Can any one tell me the top 10-20 issues that either are:

Thanks for any help.

Dungeon #148 should be at the top of your list. Spinecastle! ;-)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon May 04, 2020 3:18 pm  

This might be of help...

https://archive.org/details/dungeonmagazine?sort=titleSorter
    GreySage

Mon May 04, 2020 4:13 pm  

Some of my favorites include the ones that have expansions to the Isle of Dread. These include Dungeon #114 which has a new adventure for PCs that involves the villagers south of the wall, and Dungeons #139 - #150, which feature the Isle of Dread as part of The Savage Tide AP.

I also enjoy the following very much for the adventures I list alongside them:

Dungeon Magazine 006 [After the Storm, White Death, House of the Brothers];
    Dungeon Magazine 105 [Warduke];
    Dungeon Magazine 112 [Maure Castle - Eli Tomorast];
    Dungeon Magazine 121 [Iggwilv and Fiend's Embrace].

Of course, these adventures span several editions of the game, so you may need to convert. :)

SirXaris

Mon May 04, 2020 9:53 pm  

I've got a bunch posted to my site at http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/gh_dungeon_adventures.html#dungeon and have a draft blog post about my favorite magazine adventures to get back to work on....

Allan.

Tue May 05, 2020 7:31 pm  

Thanks Allan. This is fantastic!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue May 05, 2020 8:42 pm  

dude, thanks this is truly awesome!!!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue May 05, 2020 8:43 pm  

Thank you very much for your excellent suggestions. Very cool.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed May 06, 2020 8:54 am  

grodog wrote:
    I've got a bunch posted to my site at http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/gh_dungeon_adventures.html#dungeon and have a draft blog post about my favorite magazine adventures to get back to work on....

Allan.

I would add that "Totentanz" in #90 is Greyhawk in name, only. It's set in Highvale and contradicts previous canon on the region. Sine GH was the default setting at the time, I think the author just looked at a map of the Flanaess and decided to plop his adventure down there, without doing any research on the region (not even consulting the LGG, apparently).

Also, one that you might want to add for completeness' sake (or maybe not) is "Provincial Prior Cause" in #96. It's nominally set in GH, though it also ignores a lot of previous canon (IIRC, the author tries to make the Thillronian peninsula into a pseudo-historical fantasy France).
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed May 06, 2020 7:09 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    Dungeon Magazine 105 [Warduke]SirXaris

Oh, thank you for this. I knew there was a writeup on him, and I could not remember where to find it.

One of my PCs defeated him and put on his helmet. It cost her an eye. :)

Goood times. Good time.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri May 08, 2020 1:46 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    Some of my favorites include the ones that have expansions to the Isle of Dread. These include Dungeon #114 which has a new adventure for PCs that involves the villagers south of the wall, and Dungeons #139 - #150, which feature the Isle of Dread as part of The Savage Tide AP.

I also enjoy the following very much for the adventures I list alongside them:

Dungeon Magazine 006 [After the Storm, White Death, House of the Brothers];
    Dungeon Magazine 105 [Warduke];
    Dungeon Magazine 112 [Maure Castle - Eli Tomorast];
    Dungeon Magazine 121 [Iggwilv and Fiend's Embrace].

Of course, these adventures span several editions of the game, so you may need to convert. :)

Thanks my man. I was always looking for a good reason how dinos could populate such a small area. Very cool

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri May 08, 2020 1:46 pm  

Oops, put my reply in your quote.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri May 08, 2020 1:49 pm  
    Re: Best Dungeon Mags

PSmedger wrote:
    Greydog78 wrote:

Thanks for any help.

Dungeon #148 should be at the top of your list. Spinecastle! ;-)

Love me some Spinecastle. Always wanted to run a Ratik, Bonemarch, N. P. campaign. Kudos to you kind Sir.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri May 08, 2020 1:54 pm  

DUNGEON #107 has an article about Evard and his big, black tentacles…

(Also the artwork for him reminds me of Alucard from Hellsing.)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri May 08, 2020 2:00 pm  

Amesang wrote:
    DUNGEON #107 has an article about Evard and his big, black tentacles…

(Also the artwork for him reminds me of Alucard from Hellsing.)

Coolio. Thanks for the info.
    Forum Moderator

Sat May 09, 2020 8:28 pm  

Hey all,

It has been many years since I posted here, so forgive me if I am breaking any rules. I have an excel file with a list of all the Dungeon Magazines, their levels (I have been adjusting them to be a 4 person party equivalent level), and some other info. I based it off another excel sheet I had from many years ago (I forget where I got it).

I have no idea how to upload my excel file to this forum :).

If anybody can tell me how to upload a file to the forum I will do so. Otherwise we can figure out how I can get it to you outside of this forum.

Mon May 11, 2020 4:52 pm  

Thanks for the offer. I'm sure one of these wise folk will know.

On a side note, does any one know which Dungeon mag had the "Fingers of Iuz"?
    GreySage

Tue May 12, 2020 8:47 am  

Greydog78 wrote:
    On a side note, does any one know which Dungeon mag had the "Fingers of Iuz"?

They were from Fiend's Embrace, Dungeon Magazine #121, as noted above. They were sent by Iuz in pursuit of Iggwilv's cloak and are a rival adventuring party to the PCs. They consist of:

Baklunag, human necromancer
    Grinag, half-orc fighter
    Matyara, human cleric of Iuz and nominal leader of the group.
    Roon, gnome bard and party face
    Spike, human fighter
    Valen, human ranger/rogue

SirXaris

Fri May 15, 2020 6:42 pm  

I'll argue the best twenty issues for GH gamers are the late-2e era, issues #60-80 or so.

Explanation and a little history:

Dungeon launched about the same time TSR briefly considered killing Greyhawk. The first publication of Dungeon's submission guidelines explicitly forbid Greyhawk proposals, so there was no support in early issues.

This changed fairly soon with House of the Brothers in #6 (supporting Queen of the Spiders) and Ruins of Nol-Daer in #13, but Greyhawk support remained spotty.

Overall, issues 1-30 are good because they contain the majority of the magazine's best-known classics and the generic modules from this period fit with Greyhawk's vibe.

30-40 were a mixed bag. GH got a couple scenarios to support From the Ashes.

45-60 were dark years. GH was officially discontinued, so TSR had less incentive to publish scenarios for it. New, idiosyncratic settings like Council of Wyrms, Birthright, Planescape, and Masque of the Red Death were filling space with large special features. Furthermore, the Dungeon editors were trying very hard to avoid clichés, which generated some innovative stuff, but also an excess of light-hearted, humorous, and linear adventures.

Around #60 things started getting good again. Dragon received a big makeover in January of 1996 and quality content increased in both magazines. Carl Sargent's Night Below inspired a wave of excellent underdark adventures. Waterborn adventures also became popular, providing solid (submerged) dungeon crawls by sidestepping the editors' cliché phobia.

#70-82 are my all-time favorite issues. WotC was excited to promote the GH revival and a new generation of fans who'd been sharpening their skills in the burgeoning internet community were ready to send in submissions. Numerous excellent GH modules appeared and even the generics are good and filled with GH adaption suggestions.

Early 3e (#83-100) are also good and some of my favorite GH apocrypha and overlooked canon comes from these. GH was D&D's default setting and WotC briefly tried hard to push that, with mixed results. Some modules are old-school, excellent, and firmly placed in GH. Some were good generics, but seem to have been shoehorned into GH with nonsense and conflicts. My main gripes are the excess of early computer art and the many modules with modern tropes (Greyhawk 2000, an insane asylum, an alien horror movie city, a Tharizdun-infused pregnancy, etc).

The remaining fifty issues are good and have by far the most GH content. Maure Castle is a high point.

The big change is the "Adventure Path" concept. 3e's rapid level advancement combined with serial adventures taking characters all the way to 20th level generated more scenarios for levels 10-20 than GH has ever seen.

High-level characters demand world-spanning challenges, interaction with mega NPC's, demons, and avatars. All of this combined to make Greyhawk feel a lot more like Forgotten Realms to me. I pick and choose from the issues. Take the cool dungeons and canon, avoid the overshadowing celebrity NPC's.
    --
    Grodog, did some GH adventures get deleted from your Dungeon index? To Walk Beneath the Waves, House of the Brothers, etc?
    CF Admin

Mon May 18, 2020 7:47 pm  

vestcoat wrote:

Grodog, did some GH adventures get deleted from your Dungeon index? To Walk Beneath the Waves, House of the Brothers, etc?

I stopped indexing at some point in 2005, but if I missed some others I'll certainly circle back around when I update that page again!

Allan.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: