JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Burle / Seaton Info
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Burle / Seaton Info
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri May 15, 2020 1:40 pm  
    Burle / Seaton Info

I am starting a new campaign with my son and his friends (11-12yo). I figure what better way to start them than with the (non)haunted house from U1. Happy

Before they set off, I wish to start them nearby so I am looking for information on Burle and Seaton. I've read what is available in U1-3, the Greyhawk Wiki, 3.5 DMG II, and 5e release, but wonder if anyone is aware of or has other resources to flesh these two nearby locations out a bit more.

Any help or input is appreciated.
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac

Fri May 15, 2020 4:13 pm  

Seaton [TWN]
    LGG - 64
    LGJ#1 - 16,17,33

probably not much here
    GreySage

Fri May 15, 2020 7:01 pm  

Fan works:

A Guide to the Viscounty of Salinmoor—Who is Who
    A Guide to the Viscounty of Salinmoor—Places of Mystery
    A Guide to the Viscounty of Salinmoor—A Brief Chronicle of the Viscounts
    A Guide to the Viscounty of Salinmoor—Introduction and Overview
    GreySage

Sat May 16, 2020 6:32 am  

Some more:

Thieves Guilds of Seaton
    The Sour Note Tavern
    One Clear Evening
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat May 16, 2020 8:33 am  

Thank you everyone.

Guess I could do a better search of Canonfire! than I did, so thanks for performing the due diligence.
    CF Admin

Sat May 16, 2020 7:39 pm  

Thanks for creating this thread Garnak and for responding Jason and rasgon.

Garnak, in what edition will you DM your campaign?

I enjoyed GVDammerung's Introduction and Overview and plan to read his other installments as I imagine a campaign set in and around the Hold of the Sea Princes, which might incorporate the U series.

I'll post further on it in the future and likely in other relevant threads but will be sure to revisit this post as appropriate.
    Master Greytalker

Sat May 16, 2020 9:05 pm  

My journal for a campaign that started in Saltmarsh:
    http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8700&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25

The players never got to Burle.
    Seaton is covered in posts 18 and 43-46, but it is just a few imagined details about the town, harbor, local markets, banks, Temple of Sol, and palace of the Viscount.
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun May 17, 2020 7:38 am  

Thanks to everyone for the info.

I made their home Burle. Figured smaller base to detail and a nice location from which to explore into the Dreadwood. I did not flesh anything out in detail except for some interaction with a visiting priest of Heironeous. One of the boys wanted to play a paladin who is all about justice so I squeezed that in.

I simplified the first part of the 2e "Wrath of the Minotaur", so as to explain the rules through a short adventure. They made some great decisions and got some unlucky dice. The group found success, but had to carry one of their party members back to Burle unconscious. Happy They now want to get out of their "little town" and travel, so they are guarding a merchant who needs to travel to Saltmarsh.

Time to get to work on fleshing things out.

Kirt wrote:
    My journal for a campaign that started in Saltmarsh:

Thanks for this. Combined with the other info, this gives me a head start and some good ideas.

mtg wrote:
    Garnak, in what edition will you DM your campaign?

Running 3.5 with some modifications from 1e/2e.

mtg wrote:
    I'll post further on it in the future and likely in other relevant threads but will be sure to revisit this post as appropriate.

I can post further updates here or via PM. I don't want to bother others who helped but aren't interested in a timeline.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue May 26, 2020 9:41 am  
    My article on CF

Let me also advertise for my article here on CF:

Keoish Internal Security Report ref The Viscounty of Salinmoor

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=867&mode=&order=0&thold=0

See if that sparks anything for you.

O-D
    CF Admin

Tue May 26, 2020 3:03 pm  

Garnak wrote:
    Thanks to everyone for the info. . . .

I can post further updates here or via PM. I don't want to bother others who helped but aren't interested in a timeline.

Please consider sharing here: beyond interest to myself and others in this thread, everything we post helps others who search the Forums in the future.

For example, I'm reviewing a great set of 2004-06 discussions regarding the Hold of the Sea Princes (and several in later years), learning a lot about the region, and thinking through how I might incorporate the U series and later sources about the Viscounty of Salinmoor to create my campaign. I wasn't even thinking about Burle but now—thanks to this discussion—am better positioned to do so.

Osmund-Davizid wrote:
    Let me also advertise for my article here on CF:

Keoish Internal Security Report ref The Viscounty of Salinmoor

See if that sparks anything for you.

Thanks! I skimmed it and look forward to reading it—especially given your Shadow Over Innsmouth reference.
    CF Admin

Tue May 26, 2020 8:42 pm  

Osmund-Davizid, I enjoyed your article and have a few questions.

When did the Scarlet Brotherhood conquer the viscounties of Salinmoor and Nume Eor?

Also, what is the Neheli Sacrilege, when did it occur, and is it canon? (From your article, I understand it relates to official Keoish policy not to have church leaders as secular officials.)
    Adept Greytalker

Fri May 29, 2020 9:54 pm  
    Answers to some questions

Thanks for using the article.

First off the Neheli sacrilege came from the Living Greyhawk lore. In the Living Greyhawk Journal number 1 is an article on Keoland by Gary Holian that described the relationship of the priesthoods in Keoland. Some other Living Greyhawk lore gave it the name "The Neheli Sacrilege" but it basically made the secular power of the churches to be less in Keoland than elsewhere.

The in the latter parts of the Greyhawk Wars the SB advanced from their holdings in the Sea Princes and even tried to blockade Gradsul. Keoish forces stopped them before they got too far north but the southern provinces of Eor and Salinmoor were occupied territory for a short time. King Skotti liberated them several years after the Pact of Greyhawk.

O-D
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: